dallasr

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I just finished putting a computer together. Everything boots up normally except I get no video. I've tried different video card and memory and still the same problem. I'm leaning towards the problem is the CPU is dead, but I'm not sure.

Can your computer power on, all fans work, DVD drives open, and everything be powered normally with a dead CPU? Thanks for any help you can provide

dallasr

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I actually thought about that after i posted the topic so I hooked up a speaker on the system panel and I get absolutely nothing. No sound or beeps at all. I even checked the fan on the underside of the video card and it's running. Everything on the board is running fine so I highly doubt it's the motherboard. The only conclusion I can come up with is that it's the CPU. Would you get a beep code or anything with a bad CPU?

dallasr

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
well, the motherboard is my old one that I put into this system. It was working absolutely fine when I took it out 2 months ago. Here's the specs

Asus P5AD2 Deluxe Motherboard
Intel Celeron D 352 3.2 GHz ( 533 MHz ) - LGA775 Socket - L2 512 KB - Came out of an Emachine computer
2 x 1GB Kingston DDR2 553 PC2-4200 Memory
SAPPHIRE 100122 Radeon X700 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card

mi1ez

Splendid

POST won't output sound through the soundcard (assuming you meant that) you need a speaker attached to the speaker output (looks a bit like a fan header) on the mobo.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Sounds like you just need to clear the CMOS. Power down, unplug the machine, pull the CMOS battery, short the pins, replace battery, and fire it back up.

I'm guessing you never had this particular CPU installed in this motherboard. If that's the case, it might be trying to boot the CPU as if it were the old one.

dallasr

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

That's what I meant when I said I hooked it to the system panel...on the motherboard. Sorry for the misunderstanding

dallasr

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Ok, I just did what you said and still getting the same thing. Everything is running except I have no video. Any other suggestions? or you think it's the CPU?

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Thanatos421 is right. It could be as simple as that, motherboards do not clear their settings when you swap out processors so a CMOS clear is almost always necessary.

If it turns out the problem is elsewhere, then do as mi1ez suggested and make sure you hook up a pc speaker to the appropriate headers on the motherboard(they should be near the CMOS battery, around the bottom right corner of the motherboard) so you can hear the mobo's diagnostic beeps.

Even if the problem ends up being the graphics card, you will still get a beep error to let you know where the problem is. I wish all motherboards came with a speaker soldered on the board, makes for a very neat implementation of that diagnostic feature. It seems I only find that on either really low end name brand PCs or very high end motherboards right now.

**EDIT**
Sorry for late post, was typing while you posted 2 the previous replies.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Usually the CPU is going to tell the bios it's settings for an intel setup.

I've never had to mess with the bios when I changed my P4 2.66ghz (533 FSB) to P4 3.0 (800 FSB) HT. All I did was pop the old chip out, new in.

Only real time you need to actually reset the bios is when you manually set something to where it shouldn't be, like in OC'ing a system.

Now it's just not clear on what this guy is doing. What CPU are you upgrading too, and what did you have in it before?

Does the system work right when you put the old CPU back?

Did you check the MB website for CPU compatibility?

The only other thing to check is for bent pins on the 775 socket in the MB.

dallasr

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

The old CPU was an Intel 3.4GHz Prescott. I can't test it out because I sold it 2 months ago on Ebay.

I wish I hadn't now because after not getting the price I wanted for the motherboard on Ebay, I figured I could just build a cheap computer, get at least $75 for the motherboard while also making an extra $100 - $150. The new CPU was bought off Ebay. It's a an Intel Celeron D 352 3.2 GHz ( 533 MHz ) - LGA775 Socket - L2 512 KB - Came out of an Emachine computer! Yes, I checked the Asus website for compatibility before buying the chip

dallasr

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

No, it's just a cheap video card I bought off Newegg for about $25

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102536

so far I've:

1. Tried different monitors
2. Tried different RAM
3. Tried different video cards
4. Hooked up a speaker to the speaker pins on the motherboard and receive no beeps
5. Unplugged everything, took out the battery, cleared the CMOS, put the battery back in, and same problem....

everything is running but I have no video....and light on monitor never turns green to show it's finding a signal