[New System Build] Recommended hardware/specs for gaming system !

asdfsystema

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first time "TRYING" to build a computer with my cousin's help. It's been 7 years since my last computer purchased (... it's hell dealing with 1.5ghz .. 32mb video card LOL .. 128mb ram? etcetc).

So I'm willing to dish out up to 1,500$. I want the best possible computer that would last me up to maybe 5-10 years. Upgradeable.. etc. Here are the places where I really need your help (just about everything haha, sorry i'm a newb at computer specs)

CPU processor
Motherboard
Video card...
all the other stuff

Haha I pretty much need recommendations in everything. PSU ... etc .

I want to build it for gaming , so if possible, please tell me the best of the best with a reasonable price of course.

Thanks in advance.

BlackKnight7891

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
MB gigabyte P-35 models have come down in price a lot since the x38 release
cpu E8400 or E8200, both should easily oc to 3ghz
zalman cooler for sure i run an CNPS9500 fantastic cooler.
samsung are cheap (no complaints yet) Western digital are very reliable
19inc samsung 931c monitor
nvidia 8800gt should will fit in your price range
logitec g15 keyboard and g5 mouse. is a must for gaming
geil ram pc6400 geil are usually fantastic overclockers thier fairly cheap as well
sata dvd rom thiers not really a big difference in performce in this area.
650w silverstone psu
thermaltake or antec cases

If your interested have a look at my rig built recently I'm in AUS so the prices were up a little on US. cost just over $2000 runs around 45degrees celcius max load(prime95)

asdfsystema

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
thanks for the replies, they're helping a lot.

I was wondering, what about quad cores?
and for videocards, 512mb is sufficient for many years to come?

what would the expected price range be for comps that can play games like COD4 in max ?

thanks again !

Serj

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
If you really nitpick, and scout deals, You can build a sub-$1000 system that can wail on COD4. especially if you want to OC. just don't expect crysis to care what you build, unless you're planning a Yorkfield/SLI rig.

I would do;
P35 board(gigabyte, Abit)
Wolfdale (E8400 3.0GHz 6M L2 cache)
WD RE2 drive (500,750,1Tb) or Seagate(s)
if nVidia, then 8800GTS 512(G92); if ATi, then an HD 3870 is a steal
PSU = Seasonic, Corsair, PC P&C Silencer, Enermax, or Antec TruePower.
RAM= 2+ GB of Crucial, Mushkin, Corsair, Kingston.

Palit has 1GB versions of some cards, so if you really thing additional video memory will help (it won't by much) you could always look for one of their cards.

asdfsystema

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Thanks for the input guys. Building off of the advice that you guys have given, here's my wishlist on newegg:

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=5806845

Please help me review on things I could alter or change to make the price/efficient ratio better ! 1.6k is pretty insane ... I didnt realize that the 8800 GTS (G92) would cost 350$ ... I always thought it was 249$ .

If possible, please include what CPU Coolers/Heatsinks and/or Water Coolers I should get to keep my system as cool as possible ^^ .

amd_fanboi

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
go with a quad dude... IMO, the Wolfdale is good for 1-2 years... espp with an OC... whilst the quad can last for a long time to come...

maybe try a 790FX-based Phenom system?

asdfsystema

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
thanks for the suggestion.

to be honest... i won't be using this computer for more than 2 years. i'm a senior in high school and by the time I'm a junior in college, I won't be playing games and such because I'll like to focus on my career. therefore.. I guess I want to use my last 2 years of freedom for games haha !