Superman55

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
It is my first year as a college student, and at my school, there is no wireless internet in the housing communities, however there are 2 Ethernet jacks in each room. This is frustrating however, because much of the time, I have friends over who want to game. But there are only two jacks.
So in order to solve this problem I got a Netgear EN 104 Hub, and set it up. The problem is, it wont allow me on the internet.

I plugged the cord to the wall, to the hub 4th slot. Then I put the other cord in the hub then to computer. I pushed in the button for uplink, and restarted my computer. However the internet still won't work. I have tried all other configurations with the cords into the 1,2,3 and 4th slots, and have tried it on Normal instead of Uplink. But nothing is working.

P.s. We cannot have a wireless router, as it is deemed "unsecure"

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I am assuming that the ethernet ports worked when you jack directly in with a PC? If not, your network ports are likely disabled and need to be activated by your campus network team.

Use a switch; hubs are a piece of junk...granted, it should work in theory, but you run into issues by placing all devices into the same collision domain with a hub.

Hopefully the switch/hub is plugged into the wall outlet to provide power, as well? :)

robrich22

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008

What about using a router that duplicates the MAC address of the NIC?

Also. How would an Admin tell if a MAC address of a device on the network is registered to a NIC, router, hub, printer, or whatever? Is that possible?

sturm

Splendid
Best thing to do is talk to the school's network admin and see what they say.
Depending on what equipment the school is using there are ways to tell what is plugged in by the mac address. We have it setup that way on our network to block any switches that get added to a port normaly marked for a computer or phone only. It will shut down the port.