Sign in with
Your question

Is Intel seriously pissing anyone else off?

Last response: in CPUs
March 26, 2008 4:50:56 PM

I just wanted to rant about how much Intel is pissing me off with the release of the Core 2 Quad. Anyone else buy some equipment just to have it sitting around waiting for the new processors because you don't want to waste money on an intermediate processor?

I bought Asus P5E3 Deluxe and 4 GB DDR3 which cost a fortune... expecting Intel to bring the processors out in a reasonable time. Its just really pissing me off because my equipment is now devaluing and I can't really use it because I can't go get the QX processor. Why does Intel provide us with no real information either. If there is a new architecture coming out in a year my equipment will really go down in value.

Is there any way to complain such that Intel would actually listen? At least they could provide some reliable information about whats going on with the processors. Then I wouldn't be so pissed off. If they are having problems of some sort then fine but you can't find any good information anywhere about why the Q9450 or Q9550 is not out yet. My P4 just died and I need a working machine but I don't want to spend 270 on a q6600 since i would rather spend the 400 on a Q9450. WTF Intel just give us some information!

More about : intel pissing

March 26, 2008 4:58:42 PM

Only way you're going to get a complaint like that heard is by luck... some big intel share holder would have to be browsing here and read this. Even then I doubt they'd get an answer for you, just themselves.
March 26, 2008 5:02:09 PM

Jesus here we go again. If you didn't know that intel is bringing out nehalem at around the end of year or early 2009 then it's your fault for not doing your research. It's not like they are exactly hiding it... They have some pretty neat videos about it.

At this moment there is truly no reason to buy an X38 chipset board OR DDR3, especially considering how costly it is and considering also that LGA775 dies with penryn, nehalem CPUs will require new sockets. Sure you might be able to use the memory in a future build, but by the time you get to actually use of it, there'll be faster, cheaper RAM with better timings. When you bought your ridiculously priced parts you had to know that this would happen, I don't mind people who want to go for the best of the best (Even though in my mind it's just dumb and not something I would do) but it pisses me off when you go all out and then complain on how it loses value fast.

Since the Q series is basically what they call a double cheeseburger (two dual cores together) they have to use TWO dual cores for every quad core CPU, and considering how faster they are selling the little dual cores available at this moment I don't find it one bit strange that they are having problems supplying enough CPUs and are trying to build enough stock to release the quads. If there were any problems then you wouldn't see the Quad Xeon counterparts already on the street which are pretty much identical to the Q9000 series.

Finally if you need a CPU so badly, you can buy the Xeon X3350 to fit in your board which I believe would be the exact same chip as the Q9450 for a bit over $400 from buy.com

XEON QUAD-CORE - X3350 - 2.66 GHZ - SOCKET 775 - L2 CACHE - 12 MB - BX80569X3350/894933

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=206827274&SearchEngine=PriceGrabber&SearchTerm=206827274&Type=PE&Category=Comp&dcaid=15890
Related resources
March 26, 2008 5:06:57 PM

Heh... MSI dropped all support for yorkies on my MB. After all that switching... yes, no.. yes.. no.. in testing.. no... in testing... no.

At this point, I don't see intel under any pressure to put out that much.

If you really want to get Q9450 or 9550, just place your order in, and just wait the ride I suppose.
March 26, 2008 5:16:40 PM

I see TankGuys says they have them in stock. Are they a reputable retailer?? Anyone bought from them?

Also in reply to EMP, I needed to upgrade now due to parts failure... wanted a good machine for processing, programming, and etc. Not for gaming, seemed like a reasonable thing to buy since I wanted to push the processor and use the 1800mhz memory. And so you think its stupid to get this stuff, well nobody gives a damn what you think. Nobody has to give a damn about what I think either, but my point is... you didn't answer my question from the original post you noob. And you didn't add anything to the thread so it was a useless post.

I'm just pissed off Intel doesn't supply better info... they don't have to supply the processors, but tell us why, when etc.
a c 127 à CPUs
March 26, 2008 5:22:18 PM

OP you are an angry man.

As for your ?, Intel stated Q1 08. They never specified a specific date and don't have to. Believe it or not the e-tailers have had them for a few days maybe a week+. Just want to mark the price up.

Its the same with every company. They set a quarter of the year for release, expect it to be near the end of that quarter. But don't get mad as that causes stress which will hurt you in the end. Be happy. Go drink some herbal tea.
March 26, 2008 5:25:12 PM

lol I just went for a walk and got some tea actually. I am an angry bugger today.

Tank Guys a Good e-tailer?
March 26, 2008 5:26:07 PM

ah, the Q9450 came out on newegg yesterday...
March 26, 2008 5:28:06 PM

You could shut the Fck up and balls up to getting a Xeon if you can't wait that long. JK JK. It does suck. The price markups are horrible. But on a serious note...Xeons work just as well and are available...but not for long because a lot of people are snatching them up...*cough*...
March 26, 2008 5:28:17 PM

TankGuys are Reputable.
March 26, 2008 5:31:46 PM

Sht son. I looked into the ZZZZZeeeeeon but the place i normally buy from doesn't have that one either. I think I'll just order from TankGuys today. Unless EMP has anything to say about it... noob.
March 26, 2008 5:32:05 PM

Oh, And Intel is doing it's best to get you the processors.

#1) Intel stated long ago that it would not be until Q3 that they would be making more 45nm than 65nm. It takes a while to ramp and there is huge demand.

#2) Intel Admitted that they were changing the Stepping on the Quads due to issues found with certain lower-end existing Mobos. So instead of shipping a chip that would have sporadic Mobo support they instead chose to address that and delay shipment. The Server and Extreme Chips were fine since they are generally not paired with lower end boards.
March 26, 2008 5:32:10 PM

DjE7wood said:
I just wanted to rant about how much Intel is pissing me off with the release of the Core 2 Quad. Anyone else buy some equipment just to have it sitting around waiting for the new processors because you don't want to waste money on an intermediate processor?

I bought Asus P5E3 Deluxe and 4 GB DDR3 which cost a fortune... expecting Intel to bring the processors out in a reasonable time. Its just really pissing me off because my equipment is now devaluing and I can't really use it because I can't go get the QX processor. Why does Intel provide us with no real information either. If there is a new architecture coming out in a year my equipment will really go down in value.

Is there any way to complain such that Intel would actually listen? At least they could provide some reliable information about whats going on with the processors. Then I wouldn't be so pissed off. If they are having problems of some sort then fine but you can't find any good information anywhere about why the Q9450 or Q9550 is not out yet. My P4 just died and I need a working machine but I don't want to spend 270 on a q6600 since i would rather spend the 400 on a Q9450. WTF Intel just give us some information!

Intel has no reason to release the new CPUs. AMD is still struggling to beat the performence of the Q6600. Sure they can drop the price of the Phenom under the Q6600 to "compete", but they still cant touch Intel on pure performence.
March 26, 2008 5:38:50 PM

duplicate post.
March 26, 2008 5:38:51 PM

Hahaha, you got DDR3? j@ck@ss. JK JK JK. I might get a warning soon...I can feel it. Your title just invokes so much rage. No seriously though...do you burn money or something?

Edit: This thread is going to snowball into a real doozy.
March 26, 2008 5:44:09 PM

Yes, thought it would be better when pushed to 1600 or 1800 at 7-7-7-18 for my purposes... Not gaming, not going for overclocking the CPU... simply to get the highest memory bandwidth. And no i appreciate critiques... but not from mofos like EMP. I couldn't wait for the next gen ****. My CPU failed and old machine bit dust. What you gonna do? The point is that they should call me personally when they can't have my parts ready... also they should send out a quench wench with a GD beer for me to calm my angry programmer/mathnerd nerves ok.
March 26, 2008 5:44:14 PM

Lol im starting to like this guy :D  He's calling me names yet he's the one complaining about not being personally informed by intel about Nehalem, release dates of Q9000 line up, or sudden price drops in overpriced high end hardware.

Intel is not providing nearly enough info to keep most of us satisfied about their upcoming CPUs, but they are definitely providing enough info to make an educated guess on how the market will be impacted and what is worth buying and what isn't.

If overclocking was your concern unless you are trying to set a record somewhere there is absolutely no reason to buy DDR3, people are getting Q6600s @ 3.2-3.5 with good DDR2 800 memory, so I'm pretty confident that a Yorkfield could reach 4Ghz with DDR2 1066.

The problem with you is not that you are wasting cash on excessively overpriced components, because it is your money and you are the one that decides on how to spend it, the problem is that you are willingly wasting money on $600-700 on just a motherboard and memory and then complaining about how expensive it is/how it is dropping in value. If you didn't want that to happen, then you shouldn't have bought DDR3 memory OR an ASUS board, because trust me ASUS are experts on ripping people off with their boards.

Anyway what's done is done, but if you really want to put that X38 board and that DDR3 memory to use, then by all means don't forget to also spend $500-600 on a top end liquid cooling setup, because otherwise you wouldn't be doing justice to that motherboard or that memory. And before you even ask why, it's because if you stick to air cooling you will get the same results that you can expect from a good P35 motherboard and a few sticks of high quality DDR2 1066 ram.
March 26, 2008 5:51:21 PM

Still sounding like a noob to me. I just wanted to hear some Intel rants really. Not about your personal vendettas against people with some cash to blow. Perhaps I do have a liquid cooling setup sitting in the GD corner waiting for that processor? I have a sturdy supply of liquid nitrogen from the University if I wanted to... but no I just want high memory bandwidth for manipulating large matrices and doing various discrete integral transforms as quick as possible.

Ohh and, having real things to do, I don't have time to research everything. Nor do I really care to. I just want my parts, I want a couple strippers, and a beer... and some more math books... and maybe the new '08 M3.
March 26, 2008 5:52:22 PM

Your parts? It is a free for all man. Intel is tossing ho ho between two fat chicks and watching them go at it. I think they like doing this sort of thing.
March 26, 2008 5:54:42 PM

Yes I bet you they do like doing it and watching the ensuing nagrdom. I should have asked Negrodamus before I bought this stuff.
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2008 5:56:22 PM

This isn't anything new, it's always been Intel's modus operandi to flood the market with the fastest processors shortly after announcing that the socket it uses is going to be retired. They released all kinds of Skt478 P4 EE's none too shortly after announcing the new Skt775 P4's. It's a great way to gouge the consumer and get the most money for a product that will be, effectively, last gen by the end of this year. This practice, is at the same time, a very smart business move and very frustrating to the consumer.

As a rule, I never buy the newest gen Intel products as the mobos, memory, and procs are way too overpriced, especially when there is comparible tech available at a cheaper price. IMO, the best time to buy an X48 mobo, a Yorkfield with 1600fsb, and DDR3 memory will be the week after they release Nehalem.

What's even more a shame is that the prices of the E6700 and the X6800 have not dropped since Yorkfield was released. Think about it, why would you pay over $1000USD for a X6800 when you can get an E8400 for ~$250USD and the E8400 has more L2 cache and a higher FSB. Intel's pricing scheme never made any sense...

March 26, 2008 6:00:41 PM

Agreed it is smart business, but still pisses me off since I hoped they would be out for purchase March 15th and I've been using lappy 5000 since beginning of march
March 26, 2008 6:01:08 PM

AHAHA Thank you for playing that violin. It makes me feel better.
March 26, 2008 6:10:40 PM

Actually, you know who is really getting me PO? Snickers. They keep raising the price in the vending machines and now I have to pay frickin $0.80 when it's gonna be a while. It was like $0.65 last summer. It's gonna be a while for me to scrounge up that extra 15 cents is what that is gonna be!!!
March 26, 2008 6:20:20 PM

Hear hear! I hate vending machine!
March 26, 2008 6:23:17 PM

SpinachEater said:
Hahaha, you got DDR3? j@ck@ss. JK JK JK. I might get a warning soon...I can feel it. Your title just invokes so much rage. No seriously though...do you burn money or something?

Edit: This thread is going to snowball into a real doozy.

Hey! Stop making fun of the n00b, you n00b!

March 26, 2008 6:27:18 PM

Well anyways, so I'm currently calling customs to see if I will get raped on duty since I haven't imported any goods and have no idea. Then will order Q9450 from TankGuys today if not. Yay. And yeah I'm a noob of this! I always just bought the old **** before. Why you all so angry about me buying the new stuff???
March 26, 2008 6:31:21 PM

OK just for reference... there is no duty on importing a CPU into Canada from the US. Only GST and PST. Thankfully I live in Alberta.
March 26, 2008 6:33:07 PM

Dunno about everyone else, but I'm totally chill, and I'm drinking crazy amounts of caffeine! Imagine that. :pt1cable: 
March 26, 2008 6:53:40 PM

i was kinda pissed (not at intel) when i played it safe and got the e6550 instead of the e8400 because i didn't think that the mobo i ordered (asus p5k-e) would ship to me whith a bios that would take the e8400. so i was pissed when it showed up with bios 0906.

but that anger was short lived when i found out here that my mobo will take the new 1600FSB procs coming later this year!

ya win some! ya lose some!
March 26, 2008 6:57:56 PM

Yes I agree again you win some and lose some. I dono if I lost or won yet. We will see when this processor arrives. Just ordered from TankGuys. Should be here 1-3 days.

I just wish Intel had given my normal store more information so I would have known what to do instead of gambling.

Anyway... does anyone know how to compute the Integral
I = Integral from 0 to 2*Pi of cos(x)^2n dx for n in N using the residue theorem?
March 26, 2008 7:14:34 PM

Anyone? Residue theorem?? I have a complex analysis problem set due at 5 and I wasted all my time on this!
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2008 7:47:28 PM

@OP: You are seeing the lack of competition!
March 26, 2008 8:08:46 PM

DjE7wood, how did you have it shipped. If it was via UPS or FedEx, you could be in for a rude shock. Canada Customs has NOTHING on those guys, when they start charging their brokerage fees for doing nothing.

BTW, NCIX had/has the X3350's in stock for about a week now. I got mine on Monday. No problems shipping from BC to Alberta, either. :) 

Clint
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2008 8:09:58 PM

Quote:
Nehalem wont run on socket 775 anyways. Nehalem is socket 771. Socket 775 is a dead end.

Latest reports are that there will be 3 sockets for Nehalem, Skt715, Skt1160, and Skt1366.

Check out this article, it is a few months old but still relevant.

May you choose your Nehalem upgrade path wisely.
March 26, 2008 8:13:06 PM

It's too bad for you and I sympatise with you... but you shouldn't have peuchased a mobo and memory until you could get a new cpu as well. All you did was paying more for your equipement. You said it, your merchandise is devaluating.

Just take that as a lesson and don't do the same mistake next time.

By the way, I didn't mean to be rude, sorry if I sounded like that.
March 26, 2008 8:37:20 PM

True...the wisest man purchases his components together such that they may be tested together. The purchase price of computer components inevitably decrease with longevity (except on the Egg which sometimes increases price with demand).

March 26, 2008 8:43:37 PM

Grimmy said:
At this point, I don't see intel under any pressure to put out that much.

I want to see Intel put out... :ange: 

-mcg
March 26, 2008 9:02:36 PM

This is sort of on/off topic, but does anyone have a hint at the pricing of Nehalem in its three blends?
March 26, 2008 9:43:00 PM

SpinachEater said:
You could shut the Fck up and balls up to getting a Xeon if you can't wait that long. JK JK. It does suck. The price markups are horrible. But on a serious note...Xeons work just as well and are available...but not for long because a lot of people are snatching them up...*cough*...

"You could shut the Fck up and balls up...." :heink: 

Why does he have to shut the fck up and do anything with his balls to get a xeon?
I thought all he had to do was order one on newegg.

I think I'll pass on a new xeon if it has anything to do with my balls.
Intel, leave my balls out of it!!!!!! :lol: 
March 26, 2008 9:59:30 PM

onestar said:
True...the wisest man purchases his components together such that they may be tested together. The purchase price of computer components inevitably decrease with longevity (except on the Egg which sometimes increases price with demand).
Yes but I sometimes buy stuff like cases, power supply units, monitors, input devices, etc. early, before I get my new rig because I always see MIRs that I want to get early so I'll have the money to get the rest of my rig :D . I just got some Corsair XMS2-800 (4GB) for $70 at newegg with the MIR. I don't think that prices will go down much, especially because the RAM is supposed to go back up to $100 in April. Who knows. But yes, Intel is pissing me off. Everyone was thinking that the new e8xxx series and Q9xxx series would be out by early March again.... wtf? I've been waiting forever, and I have a fricken nice (budget) case and VX550 Power supply unit sitting right by my desk beckoning for a motherboard. Well, it's over now. I'm not waiting any longer for the e8400 that I wanted. I'm gonna order a AMD 6400+ in the next week or so. It sucks too because AMD's has yet to come out with a decent processor to counter intel's... Hopefully when AM3 hits in '09, AMD will have something for us, or at least intel by then.
March 26, 2008 10:42:00 PM

Yeah, I'm so pissed that I just had to spend $179 on a Q6600.
March 27, 2008 1:28:43 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
This is sort of on/off topic, but does anyone have a hint at the pricing of Nehalem in its three blends?

OUch, a certain part of my body hurts just thinking about it. :na: 

righteous said:
"You could shut the Fck up and balls up...." :heink: 

Why does he have to shut the fck up and do anything with his balls to get a xeon?
I thought all he had to do was order one on newegg.

I think I'll pass on a new xeon if it has anything to do with my balls.
Intel, leave my balls out of it!!!!!! :lol: 

Haha, I just wanted to say Fck. Xeons are available and can be found for less money than what newegg was offering for the Q9450 when it was available. Well, that is not so true though because other sites have the Qs for ~$350. The OEM X3350 could be had for $314 last week at a certain site. I would much rather pay that for a Xeon than $380 for the equivalent Q9450.

Quote:
Nehalem wont run on socket 775 anyways. Nehalem is socket 771. Socket 775 is a
dead end.

Ah, it isn't dead until the fat lady sings...no wait...that isn't how it goes....

I'm not dead.
What?
Nothing. There's your ninepence.
I'm not dead.
'Ere, he says he's not dead.
Yes he is.
I'm not.
He isn't.
Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.
I'm getting better.
No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment.
March 27, 2008 2:13:59 AM

She's a witch!
March 27, 2008 2:43:15 AM

chunkymonster said:
Latest reports are that there will be 3 sockets for Nehalem, Skt715, Skt1160, and Skt1366.

Check out this article, it is a few months old but still relevant.

May you choose your Nehalem upgrade path wisely.

Don't count on Skt715. It's mentioned in the text, but when you look below at the chart it's conspicuously absent. DailyTech is running off elderly information, methinks.

Still, even without it, if you look at the Wikipedia entry there are three sockets (four if you count mobile):

LGA1567: 8 core
LGA1366: 4 core server/high-end desktop
LGA1160: 4 core/2 core mainstream desktop/mobile
(mPGA989: 4 core/2 core mainstream mobile)
March 27, 2008 2:54:42 AM

Forget this Q9450 stuff. I want a Q9550! But its not there yet, not even an "out of stock" at Newegg. No, its all a conspiracy against us. One dreamed up by some psycho-shrink type who wants to observe what happens to computer enthusiasts when they don't get what was promised, when it was promised. :heink:  But never fear, Intel still has a few more days before it misses the 1Q deadline.

After that, we can rebell! We can teach them a lesson and buy AMD Phenoms!! :pt1cable:  :lol:  :lol: 

I'll go back to my hole now and stay there and recuperate. :whistle: 
March 27, 2008 3:38:08 AM

Intel, to me as an average consumer, seems to have a piss-poor layout for displaying new information and releasing new updates. Unless I just can t manage RSS feeds and everything else efficiently, but you'd think they would want to release a more clear way putting information to the public.
March 27, 2008 3:54:19 AM

CNeufeld said:
DjE7wood, how did you have it shipped. If it was via UPS or FedEx, you could be in for a rude shock. Canada Customs has NOTHING on those guys, when they start charging their brokerage fees for doing nothing.

BTW, NCIX had/has the X3350's in stock for about a week now. I got mine on Monday. No problems shipping from BC to Alberta, either. :) 

Clint

Shipped express, 1-3 days, brokerage fees included ( i agree its bullshit ), no duty, just have to pay GST and their 12 dollar fee on arrival. Whatever, I just want this shiat to work! Got my complex analysis assignment done... all hail residue theorem!
!