Sign in with
Your question

Cannot overclock after adding 2GB of ram!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • RAM
Last response: in Overclocking
October 3, 2008 4:42:56 PM

ok, so i bought an extra 2gb of ram and it came today.
Naturally, I put it in the last 2 slots on my motherboard and booted up...
The pc rebooted (in the same way that it does when I overclock too much)
It restarted and i entered the bios to set it back up again only to find that it would not boot at the settings I had previously used ( fsb 450 x8 with the cpu voltage at about 1.3) meaning a 3.6 ghz overclock
I know it must be something to do with the ram being overclocked with the fsb ratio ( 2:2 )

I am using a gigabyte Ga-p35-S3G motherboard
e8200 dual core processor stock = 2.6 ghz
4x 1gb sticks of ocz pc6400 800 mhz ram. (I originally had 2)

I am currently stable on 3.2 ghz because it does not require any ram overclocking or cpu overvoltage ( even with the 4x1gb sticks of ram)

Any ideas what I should do to get back to my original overclock?
thanks in advance

More about : overclock adding 2gb ram

October 3, 2008 6:52:08 PM

what is your DDR2 voltage set at? Most motherboards default to 1.8v, which for my RAM was undervolting the stock specs by -0.4v (sold at 4-4-4-12@2.2v). Find out what your RAM is rated to, and bump up your DDR voltage to match it.

You might also try bumping your FSB voltage +0.1v to account for all extra resistance from the extra RAM.

Cheers,

Josh

October 3, 2008 7:22:39 PM

thanks I'l give it a try .
I do have the voltage set to 2.2 however
October 4, 2008 6:57:28 PM

Check out this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x48-motherboard-com...

Apparently a lot of boards have difficulty OCing when you use 4 sticks of ram. In some cases (like the MSI board) they aren't even stable with 4 sticks at stock. Granted, the article is about the x48s but u'll notice that the comparison was prompted by a lot of peeps who were having trouble using 4 sticks with various boards.

My suggestion would be to try loosening the ram timings and see if that helps. Also, check the ram's spd stats in cpu-z for an idea of looser timings.
!