p35 ds3r after overclocking monitor goes off

maysider

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
p35 ds3r (bios f11) after overclocking monitor sometimes goes off. Probably there is problem with motherboard because everything is working (video, sound) just monitor calls that there is no signal and I have to restart.

Please have you any idea what can cause this?

thx

HD2600PRO

maysider

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008

of course I locked it.....even I set there less then 100 MHz. GPU clock is still the same. Of course prime 95 was successful...even increasing voltage didnt help

Mondoman

Splendid
Less than 100MHz is not good, you need to set it to exactly 100MHz.

If that's not it, you'll need to post all the model numbers of all your components, including MB, CPU, CPU cooler, drives, power supply, graphics card, etc, and list the settings that cause the problem, and those that don't.

maysider

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008

Windows Version: the latest WXPSP2
CPU Type: c2d e8200
CPU cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
HDD: 3xWDXX00KS (250,500,500) + 1TB Samsung
Memory: 2x1024 800MHz MB A-Date extreme edition+
Motherboard: gigabyte p35 ds3r rev.2.1
Motherboard Chipset: intel p35, ich9r
Motherboard Bios: f11
Video Card: MSI HD2600 Pro
Video Card Driver: catalyst 8.4
1. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR 1300
1. TV Card Type: analog, DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 4.1
MPEG2 Video Codec: cyberlink 7
Power Supply: Seasonic s12II 380w
Remote: eHome MCE
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI

maysider

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008

no, for sure it is not under powered......it does even in idle regime. Or try to count consumption, it is OK. And as I said...it does only overclocked without changing voltage

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
its most likely PSU is underpower.a system got a dual core and 2 sticks orf ram and a mid-high graphics card with 3 hard drives will most likely to need at least 350W.and PSU doesnt supply the stated power figure.

so 380W PSU-10%=about 350W.plus if you overclock,even you didnt overvolt there will be more voltage pumping through the MOSFET and various parts on the mobo.plus fluctuation in all the component CPU,RAM,Graphics card and even the PSU itself suffer from such problem.

get a 500W PSU to test it see if its still happen.But i have experienced before this could be due to the motherboard's problem as its not sending an ON signal to the video card.

Mondoman

Splendid
ms - thanks for the very nice list!

The total PS wattage doesn't matter, rather, the +12V supply is what matters. It looks like this PS gives 27A max of +12V, which may or may not be enough under high-current-draw conditions (such as overclocking). So, it might be the PS.
Also, have you tried monitoring CPU, GPU, and general system temps? More likely than the PS is that perhaps the GPU is overheating? If this is the correct video card you have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127300
then it could certainly be overheating under OC conditions if you don't have enough airflow in your case to (a) exhaust enough hot air from your case and (b) blow enough air over the heatsink of the video card. Especially with all that stuff (hard drives, extra tuners, etc) in your case, unless you have at least 2-3 120mm exhaust fans, I bet it gets pretty toasty inside that case.
On a related note, since you are using a CPU cooler that does not perform the secondary cooling of nearby components (e.g. north bridge and PWM area) that the stock Intel cooler does, you could be seeing problems due to northbridge and/or PWM area overheating.

Finally, is your MB one of the Gigabyte boards with their new "energy saving" features? If so, I've seen a number of posts that the technology doesn't work right yet, and instead causes crashes.

maysider

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008

of course, temperatures were OK (not more than 60 due to ati tools)....I have 2 exhausting fans near graphic card (and one 120 mm inrushing fan before HDDs + 120 mm PSU fan)

yes, exactly this GPU I have

yes, but I dont use this "energy saving" feature.

so just presume that PSU is OK (it happens when Im just surfing on internet).....what about some bios setting, can be any problem there? I just changed FSB onto 400 MHz (from 333MHz, for 1600 MHz is MB ready) and set PCIE to 100 MHz

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
i think it would be better to start your oc again since you dont know where you are at.

try put excess volt on all part except ram no more then 2.1V.some can run on 2.2v but in general 2.1v is the max safe volt.so your component is not short of juice and just freeze itself.

maysider

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008

1) Im going to buy newone anyway....just waiting for HD4650 so we will see
2) probably not....I havent used 100 % (also not any 50 %) system load when it has happened
3) yes....I think so....but what?? Ive tried to set PCIE 101 MHz... so Im waiting for results

4) ok, I ll try it

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
I have a question if your mobo work with BIOSRecovery express and resume the video output after setting recovery? It should be automatically run for Gigabyte mobo whenever your new setting that is not available to work properly, if the BIOSrecovered and still no display you may put your display card in another motherboard to see if the display card unfortunately failed.

maysider

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008

After setting recovery??? I just restart PC....it helps.....and to remind.....PC is still working normally, there is just no signal for monitor

when I have possibility I ll try to put my graphic card into another MB

maysider

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
so probably it was my fault.....Ive set much more voltage up to my processor (1,3 V) and problem is for the time beeing out....but still a little strange...just picture had been disappearing before