Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Error installing Windows Vista onto new hard drive

Last response: in Windows Vista
Share
February 24, 2012 12:40:54 AM

I've extensively searched the internet for the answer to my problem and tried everything I could find. I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. The hard drive went bad, so I replaced it. When I tried to install Vista from the Dell reinstallation DVD I got an error message saying the files couldn't be copied. I thought maybe the optical drive was bad, so I used WinToFlash to create a bootable flash drive and I can't even get as far along as I did before. I get the error message 0x80070070. The hard drive is good (ran the diagnostic disk that came from Dell). I honestly don't know what the problem is. I also tried installing Windows 7 from a Dell disk that came with another computer just to see if my original Vista disk is bad. That would not install either and I got the same type of error message. Do you have any advice to offer -- hopefully nothing too complicated or I will have to take it to a real tech person. Side note: the old hard drive was making a noise before it died. The new one is making the same noise.

a b \ Driver
February 24, 2012 11:42:29 AM

cmunster said:
I've extensively searched the internet for the answer to my problem and tried everything I could find. I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. The hard drive went bad, so I replaced it. When I tried to install Vista from the Dell reinstallation DVD I got an error message saying the files couldn't be copied. I thought maybe the optical drive was bad, so I used WinToFlash to create a bootable flash drive and I can't even get as far along as I did before. I get the error message 0x80070070. The hard drive is good (ran the diagnostic disk that came from Dell). I honestly don't know what the problem is. I also tried installing Windows 7 from a Dell disk that came with another computer just to see if my original Vista disk is bad. That would not install either and I got the same type of error message. Do you have any advice to offer -- hopefully nothing too complicated or I will have to take it to a real tech person. Side note: the old hard drive was making a noise before it died. The new one is making the same noise.

Is the drive configured properly in setup ? Noise not coming thru speakers is it ? vs the drive itself. Unlikely a new drive would also die or have problem.
m
0
l
March 1, 2012 11:09:05 PM

ksiemb said:
Is the drive configured properly in setup ? Noise not coming thru speakers is it ? vs the drive itself. Unlikely a new drive would also die or have problem.


The noise is definitely coming from the drive area, not through the speakers. It sounds almost like the sound a card makes in the spoke of a bicycle. It comes and goes, but mostly comes, especially while running the tests.

I haven't done any setup with the new drive - was I supposed to? I thought (from what I read) that I would just make sure the boot sequence was correct in CMOS, then put in the Windows Installation disk and let it do its thing. When that didn't work, I did try putting in the drivers & utilities disk from Dell that came with the original computer and all that did was let me scan the computer for errors. (standing memory, system). Those tests were fine. Thanks for any insight or suggestions with my problem.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
March 2, 2012 5:48:45 AM

cmunster said:
The noise is definitely coming from the drive area, not through the speakers. It sounds almost like the sound a card makes in the spoke of a bicycle. It comes and goes, but mostly comes, especially while running the tests.

I haven't done any setup with the new drive - was I supposed to? I thought (from what I read) that I would just make sure the boot sequence was correct in CMOS, then put in the Windows Installation disk and let it do its thing. When that didn't work, I did try putting in the drivers & utilities disk from Dell that came with the original computer and all that did was let me scan the computer for errors. (standing memory, system). Those tests were fine. Thanks for any insight or suggestions with my problem.


Some of these urls might help you.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=0x80070070+vista+install&f...

When ever I work with a new drive I format it and partition it before Installing an OS. (Easeus Partition Magic is good product). Search the net for minimu partition size for the flavor of VISTA you are installing. I assign recommended size + couple of GB, then assign another partition for other "Stuff" !
m
0
l
March 2, 2012 2:04:02 PM

ksiemb said:
Some of these urls might help you.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=0x80070070+vista+install&f...

When ever I work with a new drive I format it and partition it before Installing an OS. (Easeus Partition Magic is good product). Search the net for minimu partition size for the flavor of VISTA you are installing. I assign recommended size + couple of GB, then assign another partition for other "Stuff" !


Thanks for that. I did get far enough along in the Windows setup that it set up the partitions on the disk. Ran a full diagnostic test from the Dell disk last night and it's saying the new hard drive has bad blocks that can't be read and said to replace the disk. Now I wonder if my computer is killing hard drives - is that possible?
m
0
l
a b \ Driver
March 2, 2012 2:48:48 PM

cmunster said:
Thanks for that. I did get far enough along in the Windows setup that it set up the partitions on the disk. Ran a full diagnostic test from the Dell disk last night and it's saying the new hard drive has bad blocks that can't be read and said to replace the disk. Now I wonder if my computer is killing hard drives - is that possible?

I suppose a faulty MOBO could do that.
m
0
l
March 2, 2012 3:16:42 PM

ksiemb said:
I suppose a faulty MOBO could do that.


I'm looking into that. I've found a few threads on this site about MOBOs killing hard drives, and most people seem to think its a PSU issue. My son did have to replace the adapter on this laptop when his old one shorted out, and he didn't buy genuine Dell. We get an error message at boot up, but it does work and charge the battery. Maybe that's the screwy key here. I will try to find a genuine charger at the local computer bone shop before trying another new hard drive and see if that does the trick.
m
0
l
!