Only VGA connect works DVI goes blank durring windows bootup

computerfrog

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
I just bought built my first computer.

i went with the Q6600 for $199
2 gigs of ddr2 800 memory
Motherboard - GA-EP35C-DS3R

PROBLEM. I didn't feel like spending money on a video card yet. so i grabbed my ATI Raidon 300x SE from my old computer. I installed XP pro last night. then this morning i did windows update and rebooted my computer. now my monitor connected with the DVI cable turns off half way through the windows bootup. it only works when in safe mode or vga mode. I understand that this is because its no longer using the raidon drivers. Tried a million things then decieded to reinstall windows thinking it was a software issue. That did not help, so i turned on my tv and noticed the screen is displayed on the TV because its connected with a D-sub (vga) cable. I want the screen to be displayed on my 22 inch monitor not the TV. i have tried everything to get it to switch monitors but not able to do so. Any suggestions on what is causing this issue and how to fix this??

FYI the main monitor that is connected with DVI is the monitor that turns on when post is run and half way though the windows boot. but then goes blank and goes to the tv. hope this helps

while i wait for a response i will scan through bios settings to see if there is something there.

kshipper

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Power off your system and unhook the TV from the video card. Reboot and see if your monitor works as the primary display (It should). Once you get Windows all setup, drivers installed etc.., then you can re-connect the TV and configure your TV as a second display from within Windows with the Catalyst software if you like.

computerfrog

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
Well the issue started when just the monitor was plugged in.... it was some time after for some reason i plugged it in...and i don'st remember why. but i have tried with just 1 monitor connected. the 22 inch monitor is what initially turns on but half way into windows it goes to VGA.

kshipper

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Another idea is to use the TV to adjust the monitor settings. If you right click on the background of your desktop, then left click 'properties' then click on the 'display tab' you should be able to configure the 22" monitor as your primary display (make sure it is set to 'Active). Check that the resolution is within range of the 22" monitor to display (try - 1680 x 1050 or 1024 x 768 both @ 60hz refresh rate)

jerseygamer

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
I have a simular problem as I have 2 displayes. One is my old CTR and one is my newer LCD. It worked fine untill I tried running 2 displayes. Ever sence that point my LCD goes dead while booting only to turn on once it hits desktop. Even now when I unplug the CTR it still does it. You know how it goes. Some file someplace on the computer is changed and now I get no screen druing boot. I have fixed the problem by uninstalling my graphics card and LCD drivers, doing a driver cleaner run, and installing fresh again with just the LCD.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
You need to download the latest CCC for that card. You can set two monitors up in CCC, or just have one.

I recommend hooking it up to the TV and then installing just the driver under CCC install manager, then turning it off, unhooking the TV, hooking up the monitor and then installing the rest of CCC. That way, if you want to use your TV too, it should work.

Unless there's a physical problem with your card, I can't see anything else. With a Q6600, you need a better card, even if you don't play games.

Is that only under XP? I was thinking of a legacy CRT and the LCD I'm ordering Friday, but if Windows wants to default to the CRT signal, then it's not worth it. A second LCD is better. I wonder if there's a fix page at Microsoft, if it's OS related?