DrDuckman

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hello Tech wizs.

I have a Maxtor 1TB Basics Desktop USB 2.0 External Hard Drive. The problem I have is that when I boot into Windows Vista, the hard disk will either be entirely unreadable, or parts of it will be. However, if I power it down and up again, it will operate normally. This has being the case for as long as I've had it. Any ideas?

G

I have 2 of these drives and found them to be unreliable with connecting and maintaining a connection to my Vista laptop. I was ready to bin them but a friend suggested that I try a different USB cable. I have used the USB cable that came with my wireless internet modem (they both utilise the mini USB) and I have not since then had any trouble getting my external drives to work.
I'm unsure what type of cable it is, only that it is slightly thicker than the USB cable that came with the drive and instead of being a black wire, it is clear with a stainless wire braid inside.
This one thing alone has solved all my reliablity issues with my 1Tb Maxtor drives.
Hope this helps!

None_45

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Thank you Anonymous. I've had a Maxtor Basics 500GB which has been driving me mad. Just plugged it in using an old USB cable that came with a camera and it now works perfectly. Why couldn't I find that advice on the Maxtor/Seagate website.