What's the best gaming 22" LCD Monitor for under $400?

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I'd second the recommendation for the Samsung 226BW. I got it when I built about a year ago and it's awesome. It works great, looks beautiful, and has only 2ms response. Look around...I think you can get it for below $300 if you search a bit.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
hands down the samsung, a couple yaars ago on black friday bestbuy had these Westinghouse LCM-22w2
, man they were sow eeet at $200, and at that time 22" LCD's could not be found for less than $400...so i jumped on those, the image is great, no real complaints, but from my expereince form work the samsungs have the best overall image, and if I was going to go for larger monitors I would go with a 24" samsung.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Go for the 226BW, great colors and all, I'm really satisfied with mine. When my g-f saw it, she got convinced a big 52" LCD HDTV could be nice after all. Now I got a very nice LCD for my PC AND a chick-point voucher for a 52" TV, who could beat that? :D

The only "downside" I have about it is the vertical viewing angle which is only visible when you are closer than about 18" from the screen AND the screen's mid-section isn't leveled with you eyes ... nothing some spare wood or an old VB5 book cannot fix. :p

carman594

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I would get the 226BW but people say that it's only good if I get the S version. If I get the A or C it's nowhere near as good.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
AFAIK the whole "Samsung lottery" is a thing of the past. It has a good price on it too, with the rebate. However, I prefer the LG:
- Has a better vertical viewing angle
- The Samsung's glossy border and silver stripe are incredibly annoying and distracting.

I've seen the side-by-side comparison. You have to play with the settings a bit on each, but they both look awesome. I've never seen the Asus up close. The Viewsonic is okay, but not as nice as the LG or even the Samsung.

two bit hit

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
The Samsung 226BW is really popular, the CW is marginally better, but a lot more expensive. I really like the look of both of them (the same) the front bezel especially. The new Pebble (I can't remember the number of it) is slightly better, (again marginal) and the Samsung panel issues are pretty much finished with now. Both the BW and the Pebble are really good and it kinda comes down to which one you think looks better (always a good reason to buy computer parts) they're about the same price. Samsungs have pretty much got it right now at 22". (not really a fact but a lot of people's opinions)