flyingmachete

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum at Toms Hardware. Wonder if you can help with my enquiry?

Have recently bought a Zotac Geforce 9600GT (std edition) to replace my crappy 7500 LE.
Installed it and thought it was working ok until........

I keep getting BSOD with some games (titan quest, fear and in particuar half life 2). The screen goes black, monitor goes into sleep mode, the sound is in a loop and have to reset the computer. No error messages given. The only game with no problems is Stalker?

After reading up on the internet, have so far tried: -

Updated / changed graphics drivers ( driver versions 171.6, 174.16 and 174.20).
Have uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics card.
Have taken the speed of the card down from 675 (factory shipped) down to 650
have increased the fan speed (50 and 100%)
made sure the PCIE connection in BIOS is set to 100.
Updated my BIOS to upto date version
Update my chipset as well to new version
Have reconfigured the cables inside my pc, to make sure graphics card is getting enough power.
have tried different PCIE cables.
have updated all my games.
have defragged and checked for bad sectors on hard disk (no errors)
GPU temp is 38 idle and 55 under load.
CPU and system temps are 30.

None of the above has made any difference! Don't think its a PSU probem as mine is 850W and yes the 12v is being supplied correctly (have checked with Everest). Have tried the PSU with Geforce GS 320mb and Gefroce GTX 768mb versions, worked ok.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm stumped :confused:

By the way, the nice ppl at YoYotech are refusing to give me a refund (the card is apparently working and if I do want refund will have too give a 20% stocking charge)

momentkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
I have the same card and the same problems. At first I thought that it happened because I was playing older games like Fifa 08 and The Chronicles of Riddick, but yesterday it crashed during DIRT (I don't know if this should be considered as an 'older' game)

quanger

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
hmm. i can only suggest u put that card on a friend's pc and see if it acts that way. if it does then rma it with zotac. forget yoyotech. and never buy from them.

So the hardware is working, sorry mate but the nice ppl at YoYotech are right. Either the drivers are sucky or Zotac make a bad card.

flyingmachete

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
hi

Motherboard is PCIE x16, i think

Have flashed the bios with previous versions, but no success

Anyway, thanks guys for your advice. I have RMA'ed back to YoYotech. Will let them investigate, If worst comes to worst wil ask for a refund!

thanks again and seeya