Sign in with
Your question

Where do I go from here

Last response: in Overclocking
October 4, 2008 4:55:26 PM

Hi all,

After reading up on overclocking online I took the plunge and decided to try it out for the first time with my new(ish) system:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
MB: Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6
RAM: OCZ PC3-14400 DDR3 8-8-8-24 2x2GB
PSU: Zalman ZM-850HP 850W
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700LED
VGA: ATi Radeon 4870X2
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB

So I disabled all the power saving options, set the PCI-E Frequency to 100MHz and set the memory to 8-8-8-24, the idea being that I can tighten the timings later on once i get the FSB where I want it.

So far I have managed to get the FSB to 400 on stock voltage giving me a rated speed of 3.4GHz, this seems pretty stable, I only gave it 7 hours on prime95 so maybe I'll leave it overnight to be sure but it seems pretty good so far.

Here is a screenie of my temps idle:

and under load with prime95

These are the temps with the Zalman cooler on silent mode so I can turn it up if required but it only seems to knock a few degrees off.

So I decided to push it a little further increasing the FSB to 412 but this took upwards of 1.3 volts by which time the temps were getting too high for my liking, and perhaps I'm being a bit conservative but i dont wanna increase the voltage much above 1.3 but I dont want to kill the lifespan of the chip.

So I'm looking for some tips on how to bring the temps down and the FSB up. There seems to be a large temperature difference between cores, I'm not sure what to make of it, Core 0 is always the hottest. I removed the heatsink, reapplied a thinner layer of thermal paste (Noctua NT-H1) but it didnt make any difference to the temps.

Any tips from overclockers more experienced than myself would be gratefully recieved

More about : question

October 4, 2008 5:14:24 PM

well as long as temp are 65C or under. but your OC and situation seems fine. do you have a good airflow inside your case?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 4, 2008 5:20:35 PM

its possible you've hit a FSB wall on your mobo or you got a q9550 that is a lemon

I have a q9550 at 3.85 ghz with 1.26 volts so 1.3 + volts is a bit much

I can probably push it higher... but i'm only on air so it would really over heat

at a certain point its impossible to push a cpu any farther because either the chip would require too much voltage, or the mobo isn't stable at higher FSB's at such a low FSB i'd suspect you either got a lemon MB or CPU

I can definitely push it higher on water

My core temperature spread is on average 12 C

core 0 is about 8 C hotter than the second hottest core

so I think its just a temperature reading issue
October 4, 2008 5:44:10 PM

Thanks for the replies.

My case is well ventilated, two fans on the front and on the back.

Is there anything else I can do to improve stability at higher FSB speeds?

I noticed looking at some other peoples overclocks online that people seem to be using the 8.0 multiplier and not the 8.5? Does the lower multiplier facilitate a higher FSB ?

EDIT: Things not so good, gave prime95 some more time and it came up with errors :( 
!