Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

TOT- Mozilla's 'Firefox'

Tags:
  • Mozilla
  • Firefox
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 19, 2004 9:45:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Okay, thanks to you guys, my most reliable source for all things
computer, I tried out various Opera and Mozilla browsers, and settled
on the new "Firefox".

I love it. It's the best of all browser worlds for me- fast page loads,
imported favorites automatically, handles all secure sites, blocks
pop-ups, has tabbed browsing, and is set up like my old friend IE.
Best of all to me, it "remembers" fields I've typed in, which was the
most irksome aspect of Netscape to me, since it didn't and I need
that feature *a lot*.
Netscape will be dead in the water when more folks try this out.

So thank you all yet again. :) 

I don't know whether or not you've realized this, but like it or not,
you've all adopted me as either a sister, a mom, or a granny. Which
is really cool because I adopted all of you a long time ago. I'm just
really sorry it's so damn hot here that I can't send cookies safely.

:D 

--
>^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel

More about : tot mozilla firefox

Anonymous
July 19, 2004 8:50:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 05:45:52 -0700, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:

> Okay, thanks to you guys, my most reliable source for all things
> computer, I tried out various Opera and Mozilla browsers, and settled
> on the new "Firefox".
>
> I love it. It's the best of all browser worlds for me- fast page loads,
> imported favorites automatically, handles all secure sites, blocks
> pop-ups, has tabbed browsing, and is set up like my old friend IE.
> Best of all to me, it "remembers" fields I've typed in, which was the
> most irksome aspect of Netscape to me, since it didn't and I need
> that feature *a lot*.
> Netscape will be dead in the water when more folks try this out.
>
> So thank you all yet again. :) 

Keep hold of Internet Explorer (yes, I know, it's not as if you can
uninstall Internet Explorer) for getting the Windows updates, and for
any online banking/shopping you might do. As good as it may be, Mozilla (of
which Firefox is based on) won't fully work with some online banks/shops.

> I don't know whether or not you've realized this, but like it or not,
> you've all adopted me as either a sister, a mom, or a granny. Which
> is really cool because I adopted all of you a long time ago. I'm just
> really sorry it's so damn hot here that I can't send cookies safely.
>
> :D 

Np's. Chill out. :) 

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 7:20:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Mr K's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 05:45:52 -0700, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:
>> Okay, thanks to you guys, my most reliable source for all things
>> computer, I tried out various Opera and Mozilla browsers, and settled
>> on the new "Firefox".
>>
>> I love it. It's the best of all browser worlds for me- fast page loads,
>> imported favorites automatically, handles all secure sites, blocks
>> pop-ups, has tabbed browsing, and is set up like my old friend IE.
>> Best of all to me, it "remembers" fields I've typed in, which was the
>> most irksome aspect of Netscape to me, since it didn't and I need
>> that feature *a lot*.
>> Netscape will be dead in the water when more folks try this out.
>> So thank you all yet again. :) 
>
> Keep hold of Internet Explorer (yes, I know, it's not as if you can
> uninstall Internet Explorer) for getting the Windows updates, and for
> any online banking/shopping you might do. As good as it may be, Mozilla (of
> which Firefox is based on) won't fully work with some online banks/shops.

I havent had any problems with the online banking/shopping, but I do run
across the occaisional IE only page (some of them, if they detect any
User Agent string that is for a non IE browser, they refuse to load the
page and tell you to switch to IE. However most of them, using a quick UA
switch via one of Firefox's extensions usually fixes it.).

>> I don't know whether or not you've realized this, but like it or not,
>> you've all adopted me as either a sister, a mom, or a granny. Which
>> is really cool because I adopted all of you a long time ago. I'm just
>> really sorry it's so damn hot here that I can't send cookies safely.

You're cool, aint got problems with ya. Yeah we've butted heads in the
past, but I do that with most people.
Related resources
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 11:27:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 03:20:16 GMT, Hellmark wrote:

> I havent had any problems with the online banking/shopping

Note I said "some", not "all".

> but I do run across the occaisional IE only page (some of them, if they
> detect any User Agent string that is for a non IE browser, they refuse
> to load the page and tell you to switch to IE. However most of them,
> using a quick UA switch via one of Firefox's extensions usually fixes
> it.).

.... and for the rest that have javascript specifying Internet Explor-only
browsers...?

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 11:25:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

>^,,^< Miracle wrote:

> Okay, thanks to you guys, my most reliable source for all things
> computer, I tried out various Opera and Mozilla browsers, and settled
> on the new "Firefox".
>
> I love it. It's the best of all browser worlds for me- fast page loads,
> imported favorites automatically, handles all secure sites, blocks
> pop-ups, has tabbed browsing, and is set up like my old friend IE.
> Best of all to me, it "remembers" fields I've typed in, which was the
> most irksome aspect of Netscape to me, since it didn't and I need
> that feature *a lot*.
> Netscape will be dead in the water when more folks try this out.
>
> So thank you all yet again. :) 
>
> I don't know whether or not you've realized this, but like it or not,
> you've all adopted me as either a sister, a mom, or a granny. Which
> is really cool because I adopted all of you a long time ago. I'm just
> really sorry it's so damn hot here that I can't send cookies safely.
>
> :D 
>
> --
>
>>^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel
>
>
>
>
>
Firefox is cool with all of the extensions, but I really like Opera a
lot better. It just feels more solid to me.
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 7:10:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in news:40fcbbe8$0$6447$cc9e4d1f@news-
text.dial.pipex.com:

> ... and for the rest that have javascript specifying Internet Explor-only
> browsers...?

Smack 'em! With everybody "respectable" recommending switching from IE,
there's not a lot of excuse to code web pages that break on other browsers.
It's rude to your visitors, because it forces them to use vulnerable code
and puts them at risk. Any bank that does so should be ashamed!
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 7:12:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:2m1u7pFi2u2rU1@uni-
berlin.de:

> Best of all to me, it "remembers" fields I've typed in, which was the
> most irksome aspect of Netscape to me, since it didn't and I need
> that feature *a lot*.
> Netscape will be dead in the water when more folks try this out.

Note that Mozilla *is* Netscape. It's just the bleeding-edge open source
version, while Netscape is a branded copy that comes out less frequently to
be more conservative. I wouldn't be so against IE if it were open source
and the community could fix its holes as fast as they're found.
July 25, 2004 5:27:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in
> news:2m1u7pFi2u2rU1@uni- berlin.de:
>
>> Best of all to me, it "remembers" fields I've typed in, which was the
>> most irksome aspect of Netscape to me, since it didn't and I need
>> that feature *a lot*.
>> Netscape will be dead in the water when more folks try this out.
>
> Note that Mozilla *is* Netscape. It's just the bleeding-edge open
> source version, while Netscape is a branded copy that comes out less
> frequently to be more conservative. I wouldn't be so against IE if it
> were open source and the community could fix its holes as fast as
> they're found.


While I understand that Mozilla & Netscape were 'cut from the same
cloth', why on earth is the old Netscape still being touted? It's so slow
and bloated compared to the Mozilla varieties. Is it because AOL has
so much invested in it? And does it follow that AOL owns Mozilla? Or
did they just buy the Netscape browser?

--
>^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 7:49:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:2mh9bjFn76roU1@uni-
berlin.de:

> While I understand that Mozilla & Netscape were 'cut from the same
> cloth', why on earth is the old Netscape still being touted? It's so slow
> and bloated compared to the Mozilla varieties. Is it because AOL has
> so much invested in it? And does it follow that AOL owns Mozilla? Or
> did they just buy the Netscape browser?

I turned up this page which might help explain their relationship:

http://ilias.ca/MozillaNetscapeRelationship.html
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 8:16:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

>^,,^< Miracle's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
>his body were:
> And does it follow that AOL owns Mozilla?

Actually, AOL spun Mozilla off onto its own fully, with two things, the
ability to use the code for closed source Netscape, and with a 2 million
dollar grant
July 26, 2004 4:21:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in
> news:2mh9bjFn76roU1@uni- berlin.de:
>
>> While I understand that Mozilla & Netscape were 'cut from the
>> same cloth', why on earth is the old Netscape still being touted?
>> It's so slow and bloated compared to the Mozilla varieties. Is it
>> because AOL has so much invested in it? And does it follow that AOL
>> owns Mozilla? Or did they just buy the Netscape browser?
>
> I turned up this page which might help explain their relationship:
>
> http://ilias.ca/MozillaNetscapeRelationship.html


Ah, that's very interesting! This is one of those times I wish I
understood programming. I think it would be a lot of fun to create
a version of Mozilla.

But then, I'm the lazy sod who couldn't be arsed to learn HTML.

:D 

Thanks for the link Scratch!

--
>^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 1:40:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

ScratchMonkey's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:2m1u7pFi2u2rU1@uni-
> berlin.de:
>> Best of all to me, it "remembers" fields I've typed in, which was the
>> most irksome aspect of Netscape to me, since it didn't and I need
>> that feature *a lot*.
>> Netscape will be dead in the water when more folks try this out.
>
> Note that Mozilla *is* Netscape. It's just the bleeding-edge open source
> version, while Netscape is a branded copy that comes out less frequently to
> be more conservative. I wouldn't be so against IE if it were open source
> and the community could fix its holes as fast as they're found.

Well, Netscape Developers are Different than Mozilla ones. AOL takes some
of their programmers, and have them molest the code a bit, then they
release Netscape. Also netscape isnt opensource, so you dont know what
changes they made.
!