I recently bought the XPS 630 and the specs are as follow

Q6600@stock
4 Gigs Ram@800 mhz (not dominator)
Vista home premium
650i motherboard
2x 8800GT @ 600 900 1512
2x 250GB HDDs 7200 RAID 0

I GOT A 5011 3DMARK06 AT 1024X768!!!!!
I have not reformatted yet but this is completly ridiculous as i have seen similar systems running at least 12000

Please give me some suggestions and possibly some answers to this outrage!

More about : horrible 3dmark score plz

March 27, 2008 4:51:33 AM

OK lets start
1. first of all your on vista which can make up to a %50 performance difference. so try looking for comprable scores
2. Try downloading the latest forceware of Nvidias website that is very important for SLI mode
3. Also download the latest bios and drivers for the motherboard.
4. If thats not enough to do it buy a Thermalright 120extreme or IFX 14 and overclock the hell out of that processor
March 27, 2008 5:04:42 AM

Yea it looks like your system and/or 3DMark arent recognizing the SLI.
a c 127 à CPUs
March 27, 2008 1:14:00 PM

random1283 said:
OK lets start
1. first of all your on vista which can make up to a %50 performance difference. so try looking for comprable scores
2. Try downloading the latest forceware of Nvidias website that is very important for SLI mode
3. Also download the latest bios and drivers for the motherboard.
4. If thats not enough to do it buy a Thermalright 120extreme or IFX 14 and overclock the hell out of that processor

Don't mislead people especially ones who buy XPS machines. Vista has nothing to do with it. I have Vista and using the specs in my rig with a OC to the GPU got 12320.

But the rest is right. Update drivers first as thats the main thing. OC'ing the CPU should come after getting it to run right stock. I would suggest testing each card individually cuz even a single 8800GT gets better than that.

I am guessing it is either the mobo is bad or one or both of the GPUs are bad. But just to help us out a bit, post the SM 2.0, SM 3.0 and CPU scores so we can compare and see what it could be.
March 27, 2008 2:22:12 PM

I will post my official scores as soon as I get off of work. I will say that before I ran the test and it scanned my system, it said that I had a 8800gt but said nothing about having two in sli. When i started the test my fps in the graphics test were 2-5 fps, cpu never got over 1 and the final two graphic test were around 40-50 fps. If that aids anyone in the search for and answer let me know. Are there any other tests that I could run to test each component seperately? I hate to think that I have a bad part or something.
March 27, 2008 2:42:32 PM

Do you mean to say you really have a 680i mobo, because the 650i doesn't support sli.
a c 127 à CPUs
March 27, 2008 2:42:41 PM

edifyingkarma said:
I will post my official scores as soon as I get off of work. I will say that before I ran the test and it scanned my system, it said that I had a 8800gt but said nothing about having two in sli. When i started the test my fps in the graphics test were 2-5 fps, cpu never got over 1 and the final two graphic test were around 40-50 fps. If that aids anyone in the search for and answer let me know. Are there any other tests that I could run to test each component seperately? I hate to think that I have a bad part or something.

Yea don't expectthe CPU score to go much above 1FPS at stock. I barely get 2FPS at 3GHz. The first graphics test are SM2.0. The second graphics test(the 40-50FPS ones) are SM3.0. The CPU score seems fine to me but the SM2.0 and SM3.0 are to low. I think the GPUs are bad or are not running at full speed, PCIe x16 that is.
a c 127 à CPUs
March 27, 2008 2:51:56 PM

Shadow of Dawn said:
Do you really have a 680i mobo, because i the 650i doesn't support sli.

Well it is a Dell XPS 630 that is set for dual 8800GTs for SLI so it has to be a 680i. You would think though.

@ OP, which card do you have your monitor hooked up to? The top card or bottom?
March 27, 2008 2:59:32 PM

Hmm, the specs are listed as a 650i SLI board, And I am trying to remember which one it is hooked to as the interface in the expansion slot on the second one isnt showing. I would have to open it up when I get home to see but I am thinking that it is the bottom one. I have heard of cases where the the PCIe x16 is limited to 1x. But it says that the 650i board is compatible with PCIe x16 2.0 slots
March 27, 2008 3:52:36 PM

well as much as I don't like Vista, it won't drop your scores by 50% like someone said. maybe 10 at worst, latest drivers and SP1 probably 5 or less.

Its most likely like ocguy, has already said, you probably don't have SLI enabled. Also if its a C2D it won't score as high as Q2D chip based system with identical setup. The quads boost 3Dmark06 scores about 2,000 points.
March 27, 2008 4:10:20 PM

He is using a quad..

What about actual gaming performance?

Test each card, test the ram too just in case.
a c 127 à CPUs
March 27, 2008 4:21:12 PM

warezme said:
well as much as I don't like Vista, it won't drop your scores by 50% like someone said. maybe 10 at worst, latest drivers and SP1 probably 5 or less.

Its most likely like ocguy, has already said, you probably don't have SLI enabled. Also if its a C2D it won't score as high as Q2D chip based system with identical setup. The quads boost 3Dmark06 scores about 2,000 points.

Actually not even that. I have checked and in a equvalent to my system all scores are near the same.In fact after SP1 and ATI Cat 8.3, Crysis saw a boost of about 10FPS in Vista. So now they are on par.

Anywho, I would suggest testing each GPU individually and updating alll of your drivers. See if you can get your mobo model and that way we can find out what the true specs are.

Oh and for the guy stating 650i doesn't support SLI, what is this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Shows SLI support on a 650i chipset. So its not that it doesn't support SLI, for some reason its like he is running one card in a 4x PCIe slot.

Forgot to add, its a XPS 630 and they only come with C2Q's, the Q6600 being the entry CPU.
March 27, 2008 4:24:25 PM

I have verified that i have sli enabled through both the Nvidia control panel and Nhancer, I have even made it display the visual bar across the screen to show that it is working. Each card is supposedly running at the clocks specs and my ram usuage is showing that it is working. I have found out that he 650i sli board only allows 8 lanes per slot!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(  I dont think that that would merit such a freaking drastic decrease in performance when other XPS 630 are posting well over 10000.
March 27, 2008 5:44:37 PM

Have you installed nforce drivers before forceware drivers?
Also, what's the amount of MB/s you get with your ram memory? (sissandra or everest or something similar, to benchmark it)
Can you post your scores separately? (SM, 3d, CPU, as seen in 3dmark)
March 27, 2008 9:17:51 PM

Hi all, Thanks for all the help thus far. I updated my drivers to the newest ones available and also installed the hotfix for 3dmark. My new score is 11696

SM 2.0 4280
SM 3.0 5776
CPU 3357

Still a little low I would say but I think its is to be expected because I havent formated the system since it has gotten here. Also the fact that on a 650i the supported PCIe is 8x per each :(  and the fact that I havent done any overclocking to the cpu or gpu. Is this around the score i should be getting now?
a c 127 à CPUs
March 27, 2008 10:19:50 PM

edifyingkarma said:
Hi all, Thanks for all the help thus far. I updated my drivers to the newest ones available and also installed the hotfix for 3dmark. My new score is 11696

SM 2.0 4280
SM 3.0 5776
CPU 3357

Still a little low I would say but I think its is to be expected because I havent formated the system since it has gotten here. Also the fact that on a 650i the supported PCIe is 8x per each :(  and the fact that I havent done any overclocking to the cpu or gpu. Is this around the score i should be getting now?

Well for a low end XPS and it being all stock settings, that sounds about right. I would almost think it should top 12k maybe hit 13k but can't find anything with that. I would search the wen If I were you and see the different scores.

But whats weird about it to me is that My HD2900Pro with my CPU at stock can get close to that score and I only have one card....
May 29, 2008 7:14:13 PM

Go into control panel.
Look at the Hardware Manager.
Go to the processor tab.
Make sure your processor says ACPI multiprocessor CPU
Make sure you are showing all 4 cores enabled.
Each one should read q6600 @ 2.40ghz
Run CPU-Z to certify that.
If not go into BIOS and enable all 4 cores and set bios to ACPI Enabled.

If processor is correct.
Next update your system to the latest Video Card drivers.
Make sure you have SLI Enabled in the Nvidia control panel.
There will be an option in the advanced tab that allows you to show when Sli is being utilized. Check that.
Next go into 3d settings and management tab, in the Nvidia control panel.
Set all settings to Application Controlled for anti-aliasing and such.
Turn off VSYNC as well.

You can also try bumping up the Graphics settings over stock, the 8800GT will do 700/1000/1600 all day, everyday no prob.
When you run 3Dmark you should see a big green bar on the side of the screen, that shows SLI usage, it spreads from the middle and goes up and down to show both cards being used. If it only goes one direction SLI is not enabled.

ALSO.. 3dmark does not show SLI enabled or not, it has an area that states linked Graphic Cards Enabled <False> Only. This particular topic was first addressed when users of SLi were questioning why their graphics cards weren't showing up when 3dmark 06 was first released. They acknowledged this but never fixed the issue, even after 2 patches.

But I am running twin 8800GT's as well and with everything at stock I was pulling over 13,000 with stock CPU settings as well. With my current settings I do 18,900+.
!