Second graphicscard for supporting 3 monitors

vanderhouden

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Hi

I have an Inno3D GeForce 8800GTS, which I use to run two monitors, and now I need another graphics-card to support a third (and possibly later a fourth) monitor using DVI.

I thought any PCI-Express x1 card would do, so I bought an ATI Radeon X1550. But I now see, that is not going to work, since apparently NVidia and ATI can't co-exist. If I make one the primary, the other one is disabled and vice versa.

This is my motherboard: GA-P35-DS3R
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2543

I run Vista 32bit and have 4 gigs of RAM.

What is the best way for me to hook up a third and later fourth screen? What card would I need, and can I be sure it will work?

I saw your message when you posted it and marked it, hoping that somebody would tell us how to do it. I have the same problem, with my GA-P35C-DS3R.

I'm guessing that you'd have better luck with an nVidia card instead of an ATI, so that you don't have to mix nVidia and ATI drivers. Can you still return the X1550?

I don't see anything suitable for PCI-E x1, at least not at newegg. There are some PCI solutions, mostly FX 5200 or 6200 or MX 4000.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...048 1069609642 1305520548&bop=And&Order=PRICE

I used to have an MX 4000 (except it was AGP 4x, not PCI). It was good enough for Diablo at 800x600 and movies at 1680x1050.

This won't really do for me because I need all the PCI slots, but I guess I can get a USB-based TV tuner or modem to free a slot.

strpdgato

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
thats odd, i ran a 1800xt (pcie x16) & 5200fx (pci) at the same time, having both catalyst & forceware installed, on XP though. This a vista issue?

exactly what problem are you having, do the drivers not play nice together?

edit: 2nd'd amddiesel

You missed the part about GA-P35-DS3R. That motherboard has no second PCI-E x16 slot where you could put the 8600GT. That's why we're talking PCI-E x1 or PCI here...

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
XP is nice about 2 different video cards. Vista requires that both cards use the same driver - so they must be the same generation of card. Nuf said. PCI-E x1 cards are few and far between which is dissapointing because i was trying to do the same thing. Look at PCI cards instead. the best PCI card will perform roughly the same as an x1 card - not so great, but you get the display and thats what matters.

Stranger options exist - You can get a USB video adapter but it won't do high resolution or play video very well. Again, you will be able to use a second screen so it depends on what you are doing.

vanderhouden

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Thanks for some good responses.

I need the third and may later fourth screen for playing many pokertables at once, so it is not very demanding graphics-wise.

strpdgato>> I get a rundll32 something error, and a message that some drivers do not play nice (can't remember the exact wording).

rockbyter>> I have read this other places as well - that Vista needs to use the same driver. You say "same generation" - could you give me an example of a PCI og PCI Express card that could use the same driver?