New Build - Please review (Qld, Aus)

hassa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Hi all

I am looking at building a new machine.

Here is the specs

Intel CORE 2 Q6600/2.4Ghz/2x4MB/1066FSB/LGA77
Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX(Intel P4 LGA 775, and AMD K8)
Asus P5E QuadCore X38 FSB1333 DDR2,2xPCIEx16 RAID GbLAN1394a
DDR2 4G PC-6400 800Mhz DDR2 Dual Channel(2x2G) GeiL 5-5-5-15
Western Digital 500G SATAII 7200 rpm HDD(16Mb Cache)
Power Color HD3870 X2 1G Dual DVI HDMI DDR3 PCI-E
Asus DRW-2014L1tT 20x DVDRW SATA LightScribe Retail
Antec P182 Performance One Black ATX Mid Tower - NO PSU
Thermaltake Tough power 850W with PFC cable Management PSU
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard Refresh
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit version(OEM)purchase with Hardware Only

$2718 AUD

Please note the following - parts were sourced from Umart (www.umart.com.au) and was generated using their online quote system. If I built it myself it would be $80-$100 cheaper. The decision on if to buy the components or get is assembled will be made later - I am just trying to get parts worked out. Please only use parts from Umart as listing parts on newegg that are not available here does not help me.

Please note the following requirements:
I want Quad Core and 8GB of RAM as I will be running VMs etc... (Programmer and gamer...)
I already own a Dell 24" so don't need a new monitor, but DO need to run 1920x1080
Power Supply is beefy, but I would rather have a bit much then a too little (especially with chance of CrossfireX with 2x 3870X2 as a future upgrade).
I understand that RAM timings play a role, but am not going to pay heaps more for slightly tighter timings - e.g. $100+ extra for a 4GB kit to get 4-4-4-12 instead of 5-5-5-15

I will definately be running at 1333FSB if not a bit more...
The cooler is the thing that I am most unsure about.
Power Color is the only 3870X2 that I can find in Australia - I would prefer a Saphire, but since they haven't shown up here yet.

I am also thinking of the possabiliy of turning this box into a "server" at a later date to run VMs etc... and buying a new one again in say 12 months (waiting until I buy a new house with enough space :))

hassa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
BUMP...
Also I should mention that I am not going to get a soundcard or speakers straight up due to lack of space and the fact fiancé will kick my ass if I get some 5.1 for my desk (in the bedroom).... Plus I want to see how the onboard sounds...

akhilles

Splendid
Perfect build of the day goes to *drum rolls*...

Have you built a pc before? Installed a card? Try to do it yourself. If you buy a prebuilt pc, chances are the packaging & stuff will be taken away. Unless you don't care about that.

hassa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Never built a full system...
I have swapped out video and sound cards and added more memory and Hard Drives though
And have no issues installing software etc...
I was most concerned about installing MB, CPU and cooler
I've been researching this for ages, but am really unsure what would be the best cooler (air).
Since I live in Queensland, it can get hot and humid here, so I need something that can handle 40C indoors if the aircon is not on....

Here is a DIY Building Guide from TechReport.com that should give you some building confidence.

Concerning the HSF cooler, case and 40C indoor temps.
I like the Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX for its downwards airflow helping the cool the motherboard.
It maybe better though to choose a HSF thats a little bit better at limiting temp rise above ambient temp
than the VX can do for you. Check the reviews over at FrostyTech
The P182 is a "warm" case - better for trapping sound than moving air through the case. Since you want the case ambient temps to be as low as possible for the CPU/GPU and other component cooling even adding the options 120MM fan for the P182 Im not sure its the best choice for your 40C operating environment. The Antec 900 seems a better option. Or maybe the CoolerMaster RC-690. Both offer more options for case cooling.

hassa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
I looked at the 900, but picked the 182 due to the air filters and the fact I can have the cables routed behind the MB tray.
Now the chances are that it won't be getting that hot inside as aircon would be on, and it may only get to mid 30s, but I do want to be able to handle something when the room in not 24C. I was visiting parents in Perth at Xmas and they were regularly over 40C - one day was 44C (I make that about 111F)
Would either of these be better choices (both have a single, positive review and cost a few dollars more) - more then willing to spend extra $20 for a cooler....
Zalman CNPS9700LED (Copper) CPU Cooler
Zalman CNPS9700NT CPU Cooler, 2-Ball bearing, Multi Socket, Ultra Quiet 110mm PWM Fan with green LED.
If I went with one of these, would you use the supplied grease, or would you get some Artcie Silver 5???

Both the Antec 900 and CM RC-690 have good options for cable management - including behind the MB.
Antec 900 case mod RC-690 case mod The RC-690 also allows a behind-the-MB 80mm case fan position underneath the CPU socket.
Case air filters can be good at keeping the case clean but they can also reduce airflow a bit even if kept clean.
Even with filters you want to keep the components inside the case clean for best cooling.

All of the coolers you've mentioned would be good choices. I'd say get the one that has the best price.
If you want to look at thermal compounds check out Arctic Cooling MX-2 - non-conductive, easy to apply and no cure times.

hassa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
I have read the 900 mod before - it is not something I would be interested in doing at this time. For starters I don't have the tools, time or space available :D
I'm probably leaning towards the Zalman CNPS9700LED

hassa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Saphire is finally available, so I am now thinking
Intel CORE 2 Q6600/2.4Ghz/2x4MB/1066FSB/LGA77
Zalman CNPS9700LED (Copper) CPU Cooler
Asus P5E QuadCore X38 FSB1333 DDR2,2xPCIEx16 RAID GbLAN1394a
Western Digital 500G SATAII 7200 rpm HDD(16Mb Cache)
Sapphire HD3870X2 1G GDDr3 PCIEx16 2 X Dual DVI TVOut
Asus DRW-2014L1tT 20x DVDRW SATA LightScribe Retail
Antec P182 Performance One Black ATX Mid Tower - NO PSU
Thermaltake Tough power 850W with PFC cable Management PSU
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard Refresh
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit version(OEM)purchase with Hardware Only

$2713AUD

akhilles

Splendid
If you don't overclock, Zalman is whisper quiet. They make silent computing parts. If you overclock, you might want watercooling or even TEC.

The 900 & CM690 are nice & cool VERY well, BUUUUT the dust loves to reside in the perforated front bezel. The top of CM690 is the most difficult to clean. Mine has some dust that's turning white. My room is vacuumed every week.

hassa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
That dust issue is one of the reasons for me going for the P182. The other is that you can route cables behind the MB tray without having to cut holes.
As I indicated earlier, I am looking to OC the Q600 to 3.0Ghz. I wasn't looking to go anything more fancy then air. Do you think that the CNPS9700LED will be able to handle it OK???

The 9700 should get you to 3.0Ghz easily and do a good job for you.

Im not sure where you got the idea that you had to cut holes to do behind the motherboard cable management of the Antec 900 or CM 690 - because you don't. I know the extreme modders sometimes want to do that but its not a requirment for good cable management in either the 900 or RC-690.

690imagel.jpg

cm690image2.jpg

Many more examples of RC-690 cable management
You can also find examples of P180/P182 cable management and Here

Usually moving the case five or six inches (and more would be better) off the floor will cut down 90% of dust problems.
I've used both filtered and non-filtered cases and not found much difference between them.

hassa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Nice cable routing...
I've just picked up the impresson over time that there wasn't much room behind the MB tray in the 900...
Good to know about the 9700 - so unless anything changes in the market place in the next few weeks, I think I have my build... I was sort of thinking of waiting until I can get Vista with SP1 on the disc. The one thing that may be a factor is if the 9XXX series hit Australian stores.... :)

shargrath

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
are you ordering online? or are you going to pick up?
if your looking to pick up, give msy a look. there in slacks creek.and there prices are occasionally better, from time to time they have some great clear out stock specials

hassa

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
If I build, I will order online (UMART) since each part is cheaper that way... (though I still have to pick up the parts... :) )
I have been VERY turned off of MSY due to their website - it looks like a first year Uni student who just learned some HTML put it together. If I can't find what they are selling, I can't buy it. I a, still getting my head around .NET 2.0, but I could put a better site then that together in a week.... including online ordering....