nroy1985

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I bought my first Seagate SATA 80GB hard disk way back in July 2006.Till today I have replaced my hard drive 4 times.This is because every time the Hard disk stopped responding.Though the Windows Xp Pro SP2 CD could detect the hard disk,but when i started formatting it and load windows ,error messages were shown.I have forgotten the error messages because every time i got different messages.
This time the age of the replaced hard disk is only 1 month.And it stopped responding.Yesterday when i started formatting the hard disk,it stopped formatting it at 4%.After 20 minutes it resumed and completed the formatting,but while "copying files" was being performed,it stopped responding after 11% and stayed there for 10 minutes.I,then,restarted it.

Why my hard disk is getting crashed so often?Can it be the problem of some other component?

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Could be (not in any order), PSU, drive mounting, cables, static, Motherboard...

If they are fail after months or use, my top of the list would be either the PSU or static damage during installation.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

Hmmmm,Mr.Linux makes some interesting points,,but,,let us consider it is only the hdd that is snafuing,,so we might consider two things either the mobo's southbridge is caca,or the ram is less than optimal,given that all things are the same over the # of hdd's that have been replaced,,or just maybe the psu is not up to it,NOTE,,I personally have 7 WD hdd's and have had to RMA two since 2003,,so to summarize the psu may be less than adequate,the ram may be so-so,or the southbridge may be defective,as for static and the hdd ,when I install a new hdd I am sitting my chair upon the carpet wearing rubber soled slippers,I then insert the hdd into a caddy and then into the computer,static is only a problem ?? if one is careless enough to touch/play with the connector or card on the bottom of a given hdd..:)