AMD Launches Tri-core Assault At Intel Dual-core CPUs

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Dual Core
Last response: in CPUs
March 27, 2008 11:38:15 AM

Some good news for AMD.
It's nice to see they are getting the B3 Steppings out.
It's nice to see a small speed bump by AMD.
The Tri-Cores should find a niche.

The author seemed slightly over-enthusiastic but not terribly so until I got to the bottom of the article. Somehow he thinks that AMD should have tried the $500-$600 price for their grand CPU.

Is this guy Mad?
It runs at the same speed as the Q9300 which lists for $266.
The Q6600 is dropping to a tray price of $224 soon.
$500 For a Phenom that at Stock can't beat either of thse?
For a Phenom that can't beat them in an OC race?

AMD took the wise approach and priced their Quads below those of Intel's which they can't beat in hopes of catching value shoppers. Hopefully the writer can collect and present data well, since I can draw my own conclusions because I certainly will have grave concerns if I had to rely upon his analysis.

I think another Idea may have been to just charge $1Billion per top CPU.
That way they only need to sell a couple dozen and they will be in the black.

"Our initial thought was, well, perhaps these processors are fast enough and convincing enough to push AMD back into the $250 segment that has been dominated by Intel for so long? Perhaps there is even a chance to touch the $500-$600 range, which is currently occupied by only one processor - the Core 2 Quad Q6700?"

More about : amd launches tri core assault intel dual core cpus

a b à CPUs
March 27, 2008 11:58:57 AM

I was a bit lost when I reached the pricing bit too, but good on AMD!

I can actually see this being the beginning of a change in fortune.
a b à CPUs
March 27, 2008 12:23:31 PM

zenmaster said:
Some good news for AMD.
It's nice to see they are getting the B3 Steppings out.
It's nice to see a small speed bump by AMD.
The Tri-Cores should find a niche.

The author seemed slightly over-enthusiastic but not terribly so until I got to the bottom of the article. Somehow he thinks that AMD should have tried the $500-$600 price for their grand CPU.

Is this guy Mad?
It runs at the same speed as the Q9300 which lists for $266.
The Q6600 is dropping to a tray price of $224 soon.
$500 For a Phenom that at Stock can't beat either of thse?
For a Phenom that can't beat them in an OC race?

AMD took the wise approach and priced their Quads below those of Intel's which they can't beat in hopes of catching value shoppers. Hopefully the writer can collect and present data well, since I can draw my own conclusions because I certainly will have grave concerns if I had to rely upon his analysis.

I think another Idea may have been to just charge $1Billion per top CPU.
That way they only need to sell a couple dozen and they will be in the black.

"Our initial thought was, well, perhaps these processors are fast enough and convincing enough to push AMD back into the $250 segment that has been dominated by Intel for so long? Perhaps there is even a chance to touch the $500-$600 range, which is currently occupied by only one processor - the Core 2 Quad Q6700?"

So the cant beat Core 2 Duo hands down so they try a tri core to beat it..

Stinks of ATI bringing out a 3870 x2 video card to beat a card that was released 16 months ago ( 8800 GTX )..

Its pathetic, maybe if AMD released a comparable dual core they would be up in my estimation but this to me just smells of desparate times before amd remove them selves from the crap
Related resources
March 27, 2008 12:28:23 PM

Everyones always saying, "get a quad, future proof yourself" Despite the facts that multi-threading is in its infancy, and hasnt shown much growth. The reason Im saying this is, I know alot of people are Intel fanboys, disgusted with AMD non fanboys, and finally AMD fanboys that are just worn out waiting for hope. These processors and the quads offer something grand. Competition! I believe if were going to see multi-threading anytime soon on most apps, then we have to have AMD with their quads, and even these tricores. I want to see benches, a wide range, Intels C2D vs these tri cores. Ill bet they compete quite well against them, beating them even oceed in some apps. And the average Joe will see that more cores are better, forcing the multi-threading were all looking towards
March 27, 2008 12:33:33 PM

Sounds like fantastic news for AMD! I bet they'll clean up with OEMs and tri-cores!
March 27, 2008 12:42:26 PM

Hellboy said:

Stinks of ATI bringing out a 3870 x2 video card to beat a card that was released 16 months ago ( 8800 GTX )..

Its pathetic, maybe if AMD released a comparable dual core they would be up in my estimation but this to me just smells of desparate times before amd remove them selves from the crap

I'm sorry, couldn't disagree with you more!
Your comment on the 3870X2 is frankly idiotic in my mind (no offence chap, just your comment :D ), would you have preferred it if ATi had released the 3870X2 18months after the 8800GTX instead? ;) 
But as my above comment says, this is going to fly off teh shelves with OEMs I reckon, as consumers love cores nowadays. Doesn't matter if its worse than a P3 1GHz, it has 3-cores so it must be better! :lol:  Remember the P4 2.8's being better than Athlon's because the numbers were bigger? :sol: 
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 27, 2008 12:44:58 PM

I have seen a few benchies with the tri core vs C2D and only in heavy multithreaded apps does it get competative. Even in some multithreaded benchies the C2D was keeping up.

I just think it will be interesting as the higher yeild AMD gets on their quad cores, the lower amount of tris possible so we may just see this as a small phase to help get AMD a bit of money.

But if AMD continues to consitently put out tris(meaning their yeilds just suck that bad) it may forc Intel to go quad core and up only thus causing the quad core market prices to drop quite a bit and become the norm CPU.
March 27, 2008 12:53:17 PM

Exactly. Competition. Force Intels hand. Make an impact. At the same time, bringing acceptance quicker of quad core and higher, and dragging multithread to a higher pace
March 27, 2008 12:55:24 PM

Couldn't they just make a 3 1/2 core? :oops: 
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 27, 2008 12:57:24 PM

Grimmy said:
Couldn't they just make a 3 1/2 core? :oops: 

No. They keep the extra 1/2 cores as a build up and add them together to make the dual cores..... :p 
March 27, 2008 12:57:36 PM

jimmysmitty said:
I have seen a few benchies with the tri core vs C2D and only in heavy multithreaded apps does it get competative. Even in some multithreaded benchies the C2D was keeping up.

I just think it will be interesting as the higher yeild AMD gets on their quad cores, the lower amount of tris possible so we may just see this as a small phase to help get AMD a bit of money.

But if AMD continues to consitently put out tris(meaning their yeilds just suck that bad) it may forc Intel to go quad core and up only thus causing the quad core market prices to drop quite a bit and become the norm CPU.

All true, but it's all about margins.
If they can sell instead of toss a Quad-Core they have made some money.

Also, while it can't beat a Core2Duo, you don't have to be better.
You just need to sell.

If you are looking at a Dual-Core vs Tri-Core and did not know much about computers and a sales guy at BestBuy was trying to sell you a PC, you may go for the Tri.

This is an improvement for AMD.
It will help AMD Loyalists stay loyal a little longer.
It's unlikely to win many converts among enthusiasts.

March 27, 2008 1:03:27 PM

Anands "AMD's plan is quite ingenious, keep the TLB bug CPUs out of the hands of the enthusiasts who will complain and use them to keep OEMs happy as well as use them for the first triple-core CPU" I think itll work
March 27, 2008 1:14:15 PM

Wolfgang Gruener Is an AMD fanboy, Not that i care or am complaining. Thats my response to this. He always cuts Intel short and makes AMD look better, you can see it how he writes his articles.

"The author seemed slightly over-enthusiastic but not terribly so until I got to the bottom of the article. Somehow he thinks that AMD should have tried the $500-$600 price for their grand CPU. "
March 27, 2008 1:16:59 PM

Oh and im not using this article as evidence he is a fanboy for those of you going to attack me for calling him a fanboy, if you want evidence look up his CPU articles.
March 27, 2008 1:20:04 PM

That doesnt change this strategy any. 3 is better than 2. He maybe hyping it, but it does make sense for the most part.
March 27, 2008 1:25:25 PM

We all need to keep in perspective what AMD has just done.

#1) They released a new STEPPING. Not a new CPU. It fixed some problems. Allowed for a small speed bump. This is good, but will not revolutionize the world.

#2) They took come CPUs they would otherwise need to discard and repackaged them to be decent CPUs in the right market.

From an Company standpoint, this is good for AMD.
AMD did not expect this step to turn the x86 CPU market on it's head.

It should do what AMD had hoped. (Which is not the $500-$600 Marget Segment.)
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 27, 2008 1:44:35 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
That doesnt change this strategy any. 3 is better than 2. He maybe hyping it, but it does make sense for the most part.

It does make sense but you have to remember. CPUs are like car engines. They are only better with more if it is built and desgined good. So even with a 3rd core it wont automatically mean its better than a dual core.

Kinda like how a V8 Vette can easily take a V10 Viper. 2 more cylinders mean nothing since the engine just isnt built to par.

All it would take is a little advertising from Intel showing a real time benchmark of the tri core vs the C2D and people would think the C2D is better. Of course I have yet to ever see an Intel advertising vs the competition.
March 27, 2008 1:55:08 PM

Ive never seen an AMD advertisement in my life, and Intel's advertisements suck, people who know very little about computers dont even know what they are advertising (they dont even know its computer related).
March 27, 2008 1:56:55 PM

Speaking of which when they were advertising P4's (before i learned about computers) i kept asking people what a p4 was, no one ever knew so i didnt find out till June 2006. (when i learned alot about computers)
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 27, 2008 1:58:49 PM

chaosgs said:
Speaking of which when they were advertising P4's (before i learned about computers) i kept asking people what a p4 was, no one ever knew so i didnt find out till June 2006.

Dud I knew what a P4 was. They had the Blue Man Group advertising for PIII and continued for P4. It was easy to recognize Intel since my first 2 PC's had Intel in them and I loved PC's since I was 9.

But most people know who Intel is, not AMD. And the BMG commercials ruled.
March 27, 2008 2:02:10 PM

You might have known but i didnt, i seen the commercials but asked myself what is a P4 whats it look like and what does it do.
March 27, 2008 2:02:30 PM

Oh and i was like 13 years old at the time. Than again my parents didnt know what it was.
a b à CPUs
March 27, 2008 2:14:18 PM

zenmaster said:
We all need to keep in perspective what AMD has just done.

#1) They released a new STEPPING. Not a new CPU. It fixed some problems. Allowed for a small speed bump. This is good, but will not revolutionize the world.

#2) They took come CPUs they would otherwise need to discard and repackaged them to be decent CPUs in the right market.

From an Company standpoint, this is good for AMD.
AMD did not expect this step to turn the x86 CPU market on it's head.

It should do what AMD had hoped. (Which is not the $500-$600 Marget Segment.)

I'm glad you pointed this out. Sometimes you have to state (what shoud be) the obvious to keep the discussion in the proper context. It also sounds like AMD is expecting the increased clock speeds and performance gains to come from the 45nm Phenoms due out the end of this year.

Releasing the tri-core phenoms at that price point and pushing them out to the OEMs is a smart move. I can already hear the conversations...
Joe Average: Yeah but this computer has 3 cores instead of two.
BestBuy Flunky: But the Intel processor is faster.
Joe Average: But that one costs $100 more than the computer with 3 cores.
BesBuy Flunky: But you'll get better performance in most applications from the Intel processors.
Joe Average: Yeah but it has 3 cores and is $$100 cheaper!

Heck, Intel may even be a victim of their own marketing in this situation, if "Dual Core, Do More" sounds familiar then three cores must be better than two! This is not a knock against AMD or Intel, both companies push the idea that more cores are better.
a b à CPUs
March 27, 2008 2:26:49 PM

jimmysmitty said:
It does make sense but you have to remember. CPUs are like car engines. They are only better with more if it is built and desgined good. So even with a 3rd core it wont automatically mean its better than a dual core.

Kinda like how a V8 Vette can easily take a V10 Viper. 2 more cylinders mean nothing since the engine just isnt built to par.

All it would take is a little advertising from Intel showing a real time benchmark of the tri core vs the C2D and people would think the C2D is better. Of course I have yet to ever see an Intel advertising vs the competition.

What are you talking about, more is not better?!?!?! :ouch:  :ouch:  :ouch: 

Advertise benchmarks?! You're crazy! :pt1cable: 
March 27, 2008 2:54:17 PM

I can only see AMD needing 50-100% more cores to...err... still get raped?
Thats not a Smarter Choice, thats a SMRT choice -.-
March 27, 2008 3:04:28 PM

chunkymonster said:

Releasing the tri-core phenoms at that price point and pushing them out to the OEMs is a smart move. I can already hear the conversations...
Joe Average: Yeah but this computer has 3 cores instead of two.
BestBuy Flunky: But the Intel processor is faster.
Joe Average: But that one costs $100 more than the computer with 3 cores.
BesBuy Flunky: But you'll get better performance in most applications from the Intel processors.
Joe Average: Yeah but it has 3 cores and is $$100 cheaper!

From my experience at the local Best Buy, it would go something more like this:

Joe Average; I was looking at this Intel dual core, but it seems expensive to me

BestBuy Flunky: Then take a look at the is AMD. Its $100 cheaper.

Avereage Joe: But isn't the Intel faster?

BestBuy Flunky: Not really. It only has two core, while the AMD Tri-core has three cores. Do the math, 2.6 times 2 equals 5.2, but 2.2 times 3 equals 6.6, so the AMD does things faster.

Average Joe: Hey, that makes sense. I'll take the Tri-core one.

Now doesn't that sound more typical?
March 27, 2008 3:19:49 PM

Hellboy said:

I agree it stinks, and I think this Phenom debacle really hurt AMDs reputation. As long as AMD/ATI can compete and thrive in the mainstream market, I'm completely happy, as I have never purchased the latest and fastest of anything, including sports cars.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 27, 2008 3:24:05 PM

sailer said:
From my experience at the local Best Buy, it would go something more like this:

Joe Average; I was looking at this Intel dual core, but it seems expensive to me

BestBuy Flunky: Then take a look at the is AMD. Its $100 cheaper.

Avereage Joe: But isn't the Intel faster?

BestBuy Flunky: Not really. It only has two core, while the AMD Tri-core has three cores. Do the math, 2.6 times 2 equals 5.2, but 2.2 times 3 equals 6.6, so the AMD does things faster.

Average Joe: Hey, that makes sense. I'll take the Tri-core one.

Now doesn't that sound more typical?

No what sounds more typical to me is : BestBuy Fluinky: I have no idea what I am talking about but this PC sure does do stuff!!!!

Forgot to add:

BestBuy Flunky: Would you like to have us over charge you to install it in your shower so you can use it while you clean? No its safe and wont electrocute you!!!!!!
March 27, 2008 3:29:08 PM

jimmysmitty said:
No what sounds more typical to me is : BestBuy Fluinky: I have no idea what I am talking about but this PC sure does do stuff!!!!

Forgot to add:

BestBuy Flunky: Would you like to have us over charge you to install it in your shower so you can use it while you clean? No its safe and wont electrocute you!!!!!!

Sounds like my local Best Buy has a higher quality Flunky than your Best Buy. :kaola: 
March 27, 2008 3:41:35 PM

Hey! I work at Best Buy.
We read and think on our own too, you know.

There is a place for retail service ...
March 27, 2008 3:46:56 PM

I think we need a thread on the funniest Best Buy/Circuit City/Retail store skit. LOL
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 27, 2008 3:49:08 PM

sailer said:
Sounds like my local Best Buy has a higher quality Flunky than your Best Buy. :kaola: 

Probably. I asked them a few questions once and the guy just looked at me, turned around and walked away. Was funny and sad.

ctbaars said:
Hey! I work at Best Buy.

No offfense to you, but I hate Best Buy and their "Geek Squad" with a passion. Over charging SOB's who I would like to see swiming with the fishes, see.

I guess thats what happens once you start building your own PC's and do all your own techie/electronic stuff.
March 27, 2008 4:01:41 PM

ctbaars said:
Hey! I work at Best Buy.

That's really not something desireable to admit to around here. And that's even given the possibility that some real computer tech is laid off from his regular job and has to work at Best Buy so he can buy groceries or something. Not meaning to offend you personally, as none of us really know you, but Best Buy and its staff have less than a good reputation among those who really do know about computers.
March 27, 2008 5:14:14 PM

ctbaars said:
Hey! I work at Best Buy.

Not all Best Buy employees are bad.
I have a friend who works for Geek Squad Nights/WeekEnds and is quite good with computers.

However, even he admits that most of his co-workers scare him.

Sure there is a stereo-type and certain Best Buy Stores may staff better folks than others.

However, you must admit anyone who is shopping Best Buy for their new computer system is not going to get a system that will please an enthusiast in most cases.

I think I did see a few GateWays with Quads and the 8800GT, but normally you are lucky to find an 8500GT in the Top Tier models. :pfff: 

That's fine for the average Web Surfer/Home Office Chap.
But for those guys, Quad Core vs Dual Core vs AMD vs Intel really does not matter.
Just about anything with sufficient RAM will serve them fine.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 27, 2008 5:26:18 PM

zenmaster said:
Not all Best Buy employees are bad.
I have a friend who works for Geek Squad Nights/WeekEnds and is quite good with computers.

However, even he admits that most of his co-workers scare him.

Sure there is a stereo-type and certain Best Buy Stores may staff better folks than others.

However, you must admit anyone who is shopping Best Buy for their new computer system is not going to get a system that will please an enthusiast in most cases.

I think I did see a few GateWays with Quads and the 8800GT, but normally you are lucky to find an 8500GT in the Top Tier models. :pfff: 

That's fine for the average Web Surfer/Home Office Chap.
But for those guys, Quad Core vs Dual Core vs AMD vs Intel really does not matter.
Just about anything with sufficient RAM will serve them fine.

My problem with it is that they are trying to portray the geeks their way. The funny thing is that most of us PC techies are normal everyday people. Hell I was originally a skater, still do except my deck got stolen.

Plus the amount they charge for some things is outrageous. One of my friends got charged $125 bucks to have her BIOS reflashed. It took the 15 minutes. Thats roughly $600/HR. Thats just crazy to me.

Either way, we are not dissing you personally and I am sure there are a few decent reps there but the majority is what normally counts and I base my opinion on the majority and they don't impress me.
March 27, 2008 5:43:07 PM

I do go into Best Buy for a game or a movie sometimes, but that's about all. A thing that burned me up is when one of the teachers I know went in to buy a computer. I had looked over the ads and advised her on which one I though she should get, based on her needs. She came back with a piece of junk. I asked why she didn't buy the one I recommended and she said the salesman told her they had a close-out special that would cost a couple hundred dollars less and he was very insistent that she buy it, instead of the one I suggested. Well, because it was a close-out special, they then told her it couldn't be returned. I told her to never, ever, go buy something like that again if I wasn't with her. If she doesn't understand something, and I completely understand her point of view that she's a teacher and not a computer tech, she needs somone who does know computers to guide her to what she really needs. But ever since then, I've had less than good feelings for Best Buy.
a b à CPUs
March 27, 2008 5:55:23 PM

sailer said:
I do go into Best Buy for a game or a movie sometimes, but that's about all. A thing that burned me up is when one of the teachers I know went in to buy a computer. I had looked over the ads and advised her on which one I though she should get, based on her needs. She came back with a piece of junk. I asked why she didn't buy the one I recommended and she said the salesman told her they had a close-out special that would cost a couple hundred dollars less and he was very insistent that she buy it, instead of the one I suggested. Well, because it was a close-out special, they then told her it couldn't be returned. I told her to never, ever, go buy something like that again if I wasn't with her. If she doesn't understand something, and I completely understand her point of view that she's a teacher and not a computer tech, she needs somone who does know computers to guide her to what she really needs. But ever since then, I've had less than good feelings for Best Buy.

I got halfway through your post and had to double check that you'd said teacher, you made it sound like you were having a go at a girlfriend! (/boyfriend)
March 27, 2008 6:23:13 PM

Hey Sailer! Did you get extra credit ?
March 27, 2008 6:41:47 PM

"Probably. I asked them a few questions once and the guy just looked at me, turned around and walked away. Was funny and sad. " What were the questions? What was the tone when you asked? Did the guy figure out that you already know the answer? You see, I've come across know-it-all, smug, browzers with no interest in making a buy people who come over just to make themselves feel bigger types.

"However, you must admit anyone who is shopping Best Buy for their new computer system is not going to get a system that will please an enthusiast in most cases." Absolutely true. It will never be the case. IMO

"That's fine for the average Web Surfer/Home Office Chap." Yup!

jimmysmitty: Open your own computer service station chain. Competition is good! Yes?

Sailer: Enthusiasts always over estimate a "typical users" needs. That is the nature of an Enthusiast. I Know! May I suggest though. If something doesn't work out for your teacher freind. Don't say, "I told you so." Either way: The teacher already feels bad. Your feelings are already hurt.

I'm not offended. I understand your point of views. I built my own too. See "more information" to the left. And I'd love to read and see the stories like Craxbax suggested. I do have a sense of humor, maybe ;) 

I hope seeing both sides of the contiental divide has made me a better person. Not necessarily a better Best Buy employee or better Enthusiast.

I would never respond like the "close-out special" guy. Or the "walk-away" guy. But that's me. If I don't have what you suggest for the teacher (I tend to think that it's highly likely), I will give the Best Buy options. You still won't like it. When someone really needs to buy a computer, they will, and I alway try to give full disclosure.

March 27, 2008 7:10:24 PM

mi1ez said:
I got halfway through your post and had to double check that you'd said teacher, you made it sound like you were having a go at a girlfriend! (/boyfriend)

I'm a single father and I got to know a couple of teachers as my kid went through school. The one is question is single and we know each other very well, but never dated or had a go at it. Not that I wouldn't have liked the opportunity.

ctbaars: I may be an enthusiast, but I didn't over estimate her computer needs. I took time to go over the ads on the internet site and figured out which computer would meet her needs the best; no high power graphics card, sound card, etc, but one with a good dual core processor, decent hard drive and ethernet card built in. She runs business apps and needed abilites to run them, not abilities to play games. What she got sold was an older single core processor and no built in ethernet card. So I ordered an ethernet card for her computer, but was unable to do anything about the processor. I didn't do the stupid "I told you so" thing, only said that she had made a mistake. She said she didn't understand the differences and that's why I told her to never buy anything like that again without me with her.

She and I get along pretty well, having known each other for nine years now. She knows things about teaching 2nd graders that I don't. I know things about computers and cars that she doesn't. We recognize our differences and don't belittle one another.
March 27, 2008 7:38:12 PM

sailer said:
...What she got sold was an older single core processor and no built in ethernet card. So I ordered an ethernet card for her computer, but was unable to do anything about the processor. ...
It didn't have on-board ethernet ?? ... If not, then it was a really, really raw thing the sales person did.

You sound like a top notch friend.
March 27, 2008 7:41:22 PM

Did I hijack the thread? Sorry Zenmaster .... :whistle:  :hello: 
March 27, 2008 7:49:54 PM

ctbaars said:
Did I hijack the thread? Sorry Zenmaster .... :whistle:  :hello: 

I think the thread changed when I responded to Chunky's ad lib about Best Buy, and then it downhill from there. Don't worry too much about it. Sometimes a thread will go along through several pages and no one seems to know what it was about when it started.

In this case it was AMD's tri-core, which I think is a good idea from AMD's perspective. If it sells chips, then AMD gets money it needs. Since it will be mainly home users/non-enthusiasts who will buy them, no one gets hurt.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 27, 2008 7:53:41 PM

sailer said:
I think the thread changed when I responded to Chunky's ad lib about Best Buy, and then it downhill from there. Don't worry too much about it. Sometimes a thread will go along through several pages and no one seems to know what it was about when it started.

In this case it was AMD's tri-core, which I think is a good idea from AMD's perspective. If it sells chips, then AMD gets money it needs. Since it will be mainly home users/non-enthusiasts who will buy them, no one gets hurt.

But don't forget supply and demand. Tri cores will thrive on low yeilds in the quad cores. The higher yeilds in quad cores = lower amount or tri cores available. Thus AMD might pick specific OEM and Retaliers/E-tailers to sell them to.

ctbaars, I actually want to open my own PC company like Dell but not crap. If I try to take on Best Buy, they would best me since people know the name and go there. Trust me it has happened a lot where I live. Last PC repair shop here only lasted a month.
March 27, 2008 8:07:54 PM

I'm not forgetting supply and demand. At present, I suspect AMD's manufacturing process is causing a a lot of bad quads, thus lots of tri-cores. In time, things may get better. On the other hand, it could be that its the process itself that causes lower quad yields than desired. In that case, AMD will have lots of reason to progress on to 45nm chips. Don't know the answer there. For the meantime, though, I mainly see the tri-core market as being in HPs, cheaper Dells, and Gateways. Not sure if we'll ever see the individual chips at Newegg, etc. It could happen, only time will tell the answer to that.
a b à CPUs
March 27, 2008 8:32:39 PM

LukeBird said:
I'm sorry, couldn't disagree with you more!
Your comment on the 3870X2 is frankly idiotic in my mind (no offence chap, just your comment :D ), would you have preferred it if ATi had released the 3870X2 18months after the 8800GTX instead? ;) 
But as my above comment says, this is going to fly off teh shelves with OEMs I reckon, as consumers love cores nowadays. Doesn't matter if its worse than a P3 1GHz, it has 3-cores so it must be better! :lol:  Remember the P4 2.8's being better than Athlon's because the numbers were bigger? :sol: 

All I am saying on the ATI bit was that just before the 8 series card from nvidia was released, ATI had a neck and neck race and sometimes faster cards than nvidia with its 7 series....

8800 gtx changed that for a time that was far too long IMHO for ATI to bring out new cards which was quickly replaced by the 3 series and still wasnt faster... I only has taken 2 3750's together to beat a 16 month old card....

ATI sat on the toilet, grunted a few times and did little else for over 7 months later with the 2700 and 2900, and these were crap...

Now nvidia has trumped them again with the 9800gx2 and soon their 9800 ultra beastie.......

remember this is the baby running from technology they gained by developing the ps3 etc etc....

now ATI being bought by amd has slapped it down technological wise by a year...

AMD has had such a disasterous entrance with the Phenom that even some of the most die hard AMD fans were fed up with lies, excused, bugs, release date failures etc all which should of never happend to get the excused of a tri-core made up of a faulty quad core one... which still dont out perform a 8400 or other chips lower on the Intel scale.. which technically it should.....

Now at this moment i could rant about Quad Phenoms and a Q6600 which is over its first birthday and is still making love to the computer enthusiasts ears and eyes and is now about 220 dollars to buy.

Now all this banter about oooh multithreaded stuff - blah blah blah... Most of us dont have multi-threaded applications yet let alone games to take advantage over this wonderfull technological leap for us to even care about yet...

Multi threaded games seem along way off to make any real impact... I give it a year if not longer to see mainstreme multi-threaded games at least to be the norm....the 8800 hasnt even been used to its full potential either has it.

Thats my opinion, your good to have yours, but AMD, which was once had the greatest chip on the planet hasnt... its a shame the couldnt pull if off this time...

But its not my fault.....
March 27, 2008 9:09:37 PM

Hellboy said:

Now nvidia has trumped them again with the 9800gx2 and soon their 9800 ultra beastie.......remember this is the baby running from technology they gained by developing the ps3 etc etc....

I'm not quite sure of that. You forget that the two companies leapfrog each other. Nvidia's had lousy GPU's before (FX 5200 and it's higher numbered FX siblings) and has an overpriced 9800gx2 that doesn't win the price performance crown for single PCIe dual GPU solutions.

ATI's coming out with the 3850x2 in the mainstream and then the 4850, 4870 and 4870x2. I expect the 4870x2 will beat the 9800gx2, but you won't see much about it at these boards because AMD merged with ATI.

Hellboy said:

now ATI being bought by amd has slapped it down technological wise by a year...

Thats my opinion, your good to have yours, but AMD, which was once had the greatest chip on the planet hasnt... its a shame the couldnt pull if off this time...

But its not my fault.....

Everyone's responsible for their opinions. That's why there are fanboys and those who are more balanced. At times, I can be a fanboy too, but I try not to.

I generally question Nvidia card initial benchmarks, as the Crysis demo's water plus the Linkboost 9600gt's in SLI benchies were dodgy and did not reflect real world performance once people with Intel boards got the cards involved.

Both Nvidia and ATI improve with drivers as the cards mature, both have fanbases who seem to prefer different aspects of a card's performance. Most ATI fans prefer image quality and AVIVO playback and most Nvidia fans prefer sheer framerates in a few very popular FPS titles.

Both have their markets. I just wouldn't say that Nvidia beats ATI overall, and not all the time. They leapfrog each other in technology and benchmarks, but it's been 5 years since ATI did anything dodgy with their drivers to skew a benchmark, whereas Nvidia's been up to it's old tricks ever since Crysis.

I trust ATI chipsets and GPU's, which is why I'll go with AMD CPU's (Intel's OEM rebate issue is fading for me) this April. I'll give a Phenom 9850 with a good cooler a try on a 780G board with 4 gigs of DDR2 1066. I'll see if I can overclock it closer to 3 gigahertz stable. If not, then no big deal.

If I decide to not go CrossfireX next year, then I'll just slap in a Deneb when it arrives. So, I'll have a "lesser" solution than a dual core Wolfdale plus an X48 board, but at least I won't be buying a new motherboard unless I choose to go CrossfireX. It might be more cost effective to just go 4870x2 next year instead and pass the 3870x2 down to one of our other PC's.

Nehalem might be worth a new motherboard and RAM for Intel fans who upgrade this year, but not everyone wants to buy a new CPU and motherboard every year. I'd rather put the money into a new GPU if I buy anything.
March 27, 2008 9:14:56 PM

I do agree with a lot of what you said Hellboy.
But my point regarding cores are better then speed are only to do with what the end (non-computer literate) user sees.
Much like they did with the high-clocked P4s. Who needed that much performance, no one, but that didn't stop them selling (I will remove the Intel OEM rebate issue... :) ).
That's why I think the OEMs will love the tri-core, seems like a nice deal :) 
a b à CPUs
March 27, 2008 9:39:25 PM

W00t! Finally some competition from AMD. Lets see how well the OC. Did any one else notice the naming? Phenom X3 8000 which is really close to E8000? Could this be a hidden clue.... :lol: 
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!