Sign in with
Your question

AMD Launches Tri-core Assault At Intel Dual-core CPUs - Page 2

Last response: in CPUs
a c 123 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 27, 2008 9:53:20 PM

Hellboy said:
All I am saying on the ATI bit was that just before the 8 series card from nvidia was released, ATI had a neck and neck race and sometimes faster cards than nvidia with its 7 series....

8800 gtx changed that for a time that was far too long IMHO for ATI to bring out new cards which was quickly replaced by the 3 series and still wasnt faster... I only has taken 2 3870's together to beat a 16 month old card....

ATI sat on the toilet, grunted a few times and did little else for over 7 months later with the 2600 and 2900, and these were crap...

Now nvidia has trumped them again with the 9800gx2 and soon their 9800 ultra beastie.......

remember this is the baby running from technology they gained by developing the ps3 etc etc....

now ATI being bought by amd has slapped it down technological wise by a year...

AMD has had such a disasterous entrance with the Phenom that even some of the most die hard AMD fans were fed up with lies, excused, bugs, release date failures etc all which should of never happend to get the excused of a tri-core made up of a faulty quad core one... which still dont out perform a 8400 or other chips lower on the Intel scale.. which technically it should.....

Now at this moment i could rant about Quad Phenoms and a Q6600 which is over its first birthday and is still making love to the computer enthusiasts ears and eyes and is now about 220 dollars to buy.

Now all this banter about oooh multithreaded stuff - blah blah blah... Most of us dont have multi-threaded applications yet let alone games to take advantage over this wonderfull technological leap for us to even care about yet...

Multi threaded games seem along way off to make any real impact... I give it a year if not longer to see mainstreme multi-threaded games at least to be the norm....the 8800 hasnt even been used to its full potential either has it.

Thats my opinion, your good to have yours, but AMD, which was once had the greatest chip on the planet hasnt... its a shame the couldnt pull if off this time...

But its not my fault.....

I agree with some things, corrected(in bold) a few things but disagree with a few too. The HD2900 series is not as bad as its made out to be. I have a HD2900Pro 1GB and I can play Crysis @ 1280x1024 with most settings set to very high, a few to high and like 1 to medium with full motion blur but no AA/AF and still play the game like any other game with no slow downs. TF2 @ 1280x1024 with everything set to highest possible settings, full HDR and AA/AF and I average 150-200FPS depending on the map.

Also the PS3 used a pumped up 7900GTX. The 360 had the R500, which a lot of things on the R600(HD2900) series is based off of. Just wasn't sure which you were talking about.

yipsl said:
I'm not quite sure of that. You forget that the two companies leapfrog each other. Nvidia's had lousy GPU's before (FX 5200 and it's higher numbered FX siblings) and has an overpriced 9800gx2 that doesn't win the price performance crown for single PCIe dual GPU solutions.

ATI's coming out with the 3850x2 in the mainstream and then the 4850, 4870 and 4870x2. I expect the 4870x2 will beat the 9800gx2, but you won't see much about it at these boards because AMD merged with ATI.

Everyone's responsible for their opinions. That's why there are fanboys and those who are more balanced. At times, I can be a fanboy too, but I try not to.

I generally question Nvidia card initial benchmarks, as the Crysis demo's water plus the Linkboost 9600gt's in SLI benchies were dodgy and did not reflect real world performance once people with Intel boards got the cards involved.

Both Nvidia and ATI improve with drivers as the cards mature, both have fanbases who seem to prefer different aspects of a card's performance. Most ATI fans prefer image quality and AVIVO playback and most Nvidia fans prefer sheer framerates in a few very popular FPS titles.

Both have their markets. I just wouldn't say that Nvidia beats ATI overall, and not all the time. They leapfrog each other in technology and benchmarks, but it's been 5 years since ATI did anything dodgy with their drivers to skew a benchmark, whereas Nvidia's been up to it's old tricks ever since Crysis.

I trust ATI chipsets and GPU's, which is why I'll go with AMD CPU's (Intel's OEM rebate issue is fading for me) this April. I'll give a Phenom 9850 with a good cooler a try on a 780G board with 4 gigs of DDR2 1066. I'll see if I can overclock it closer to 3 gigahertz stable. If not, then no big deal.

If I decide to not go CrossfireX next year, then I'll just slap in a Deneb when it arrives. So, I'll have a "lesser" solution than a dual core Wolfdale plus an X48 board, but at least I won't be buying a new motherboard unless I choose to go CrossfireX. It might be more cost effective to just go 4870x2 next year instead and pass the 3870x2 down to one of our other PC's.

Nehalem might be worth a new motherboard and RAM for Intel fans who upgrade this year, but not everyone wants to buy a new CPU and motherboard every year. I'd rather put the money into a new GPU if I buy anything.

Just remember that the 9800GX2 and 9800Ultra are not NVidias next gen that will be set to compete with the R700(4870). I too believe that the R700(4870) will give a large performance boost and will probably get one and use my HD2900Pro as a extra/sell on EBay. But the G100(NVidias next GPU) will be coming out this year too or is supposed to and that should compete with the 4870 very well or flop like the FX5 series. Talk about blow driers.

Oh and have you seen the review on the 9850BE? They did OC'ing tests and got it to 3GHz stable but with like a Vcore of 1.56v stable. That seems too high to me but maybe AMD's chips can handle more voltage? I doubt it but still 3GHz stable. Still no guarantee that that will be for all chips as we will have to wait and see what happens when people can buy them.

*Forgot to add*
I too don't want to buy a new everything once a year. But every 2-3 years is not that bad. Nehalem will probably be worth it for more than just Intel fans. In the server arena if it does as said it could change a lot of things. But remember you as well wont be able to stay with that mobo/RAM for a long time if you want to really up the performance. After a while the newer better stuff will only work on a new mobo. But thats usually only after 3 years. Kinda like when PCIe came out. At first the still had AGP cards but then 2-3 years after the release, the good cards were PCIe only. I wish ATI would revamp the R300/9700Pro and rerelease it. That card kicked sooo much ass.
March 27, 2008 10:01:00 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Oh and have you seen the review on the 9850BE? They did OC'ing tests and got it to 3GHz stable but with like a Vcore of 1.56v stable. That seems too high to me but maybe AMD's chips can handle more voltage? I doubt it but still 3GHz stable. Still no guarantee that that will be for all chips as we will have to wait and see what happens when people can buy them.

I did see a review on the 9850 BE and I thought it looked interesting. Even if a stable clock of 2.9 ghz was all that could be achieved, it would be a big step up from the current situation. The 3 ghz at 1.56v looks like a disaster waiting to happen to me. Too much chance for electro-migration and such, not to mention the heat produced. Still, this is definitely a step in the right direction for AMD. Wish this had been the situation last December, but, oh well.
March 27, 2008 10:20:44 PM

Nothing new.... Same old hardware with a bug....
Related resources
March 27, 2008 10:26:33 PM

And what, or which, bug is that? The TLB errata is fixed, if you hadn't heard yet.
March 27, 2008 10:31:53 PM

Grimmy said:
Couldn't they just make a 3 1/2 core? :oops: 

I think so... they can also create a rotten core, but would apple buy that?
March 28, 2008 5:34:18 AM

foste said:
I think so... they can also create a rotten core, but would apple buy that?

Didn't you know?...Apple already has a rotten core. ;) 

a b à CPUs
March 28, 2008 6:54:51 AM

yipsl said:
I'm not quite sure of that. You forget that the two companies leapfrog each other. Nvidia's had lousy GPU's before (FX 5200 and it's higher numbered FX siblings) and has an overpriced 9800gx2 that doesn't win the price performance crown for single PCIe dual GPU solutions.

ATI's coming out with the 3850x2 in the mainstream and then the 4850, 4870 and 4870x2. I expect the 4870x2 will beat the 9800gx2, but you won't see much about it at these boards because AMD merged with ATI.

Everyone's responsible for their opinions. That's why there are fanboys and those who are more balanced. At times, I can be a fanboy too, but I try not to.

I generally question Nvidia card initial benchmarks, as the Crysis demo's water plus the Linkboost 9600gt's in SLI benchies were dodgy and did not reflect real world performance once people with Intel boards got the cards involved.

Both Nvidia and ATI improve with drivers as the cards mature, both have fanbases who seem to prefer different aspects of a card's performance. Most ATI fans prefer image quality and AVIVO playback and most Nvidia fans prefer sheer framerates in a few very popular FPS titles.

Both have their markets. I just wouldn't say that Nvidia beats ATI overall, and not all the time. They leapfrog each other in technology and benchmarks, but it's been 5 years since ATI did anything dodgy with their drivers to skew a benchmark, whereas Nvidia's been up to it's old tricks ever since Crysis.

I trust ATI chipsets and GPU's, which is why I'll go with AMD CPU's (Intel's OEM rebate issue is fading for me) this April. I'll give a Phenom 9850 with a good cooler a try on a 780G board with 4 gigs of DDR2 1066. I'll see if I can overclock it closer to 3 gigahertz stable. If not, then no big deal.

If I decide to not go CrossfireX next year, then I'll just slap in a Deneb when it arrives. So, I'll have a "lesser" solution than a dual core Wolfdale plus an X48 board, but at least I won't be buying a new motherboard unless I choose to go CrossfireX. It might be more cost effective to just go 4870x2 next year instead and pass the 3870x2 down to one of our other PC's.

Nehalem might be worth a new motherboard and RAM for Intel fans who upgrade this year, but not everyone wants to buy a new CPU and motherboard every year. I'd rather put the money into a new GPU if I buy anything.

You tend to lable me fanboy !

I lean towards Nvidia Video Cards, I admit.... Its down to TWINTBP setup which coincides to what games I play...

Valve are the only real enforcer of ATI....

Although I would change if they did something spectacular.

Theyre chipsets run incredibly hot compared to others, especially nforce 4..... So im not a great fan of those.....

MMMM am I a Intel fanboy...... No... I just want a processor that does what it says,,, ive been running a 939-4800x2 processor for 2-3 years no problems, its a good chip, did anything I wanted, got dated but I have given it to my daughter to do her homework and bits on and will last 3 more years atleast....

I just bought some Intels this time as it was the better deal...
      • 2 / 2
!