New motherboard time!

Just bought and installed an ABIT NF7-S. It replaces my MSI KT4V which
burned up after less than a year. The MSI replaced another MSI mb that
also died after less than a year.

My comp had more and more frequent spontaneous reboots, followed by not
being able to detect any IDE devices, to finally not start up...even
though the drives would spin up because power went to the devices.

The initial performance of the MSI seemed nice, but I guess it doesn't
handle heat all that well, despite the fans and little temp sensors that
say the mb and CPU are OK.

I only did a Windows XP Repair so I could back up the most recent files
and am then going for the complete HD wipe. (Gotta find my Tribes CDs
and see if Corky has a key for them. :p )

--
ClayPidgeon

"MarkandBrian.net" <bmonson@ncn.com> wrote in message
> Just bought and installed an ABIT NF7-S. It replaces my MSI KT4V which
> burned up after less than a year. The MSI replaced another MSI mb that
> also died after less than a year.
>
> My comp had more and more frequent spontaneous reboots, followed by not
> being able to detect any IDE devices, to finally not start up...even
> though the drives would spin up because power went to the devices.
>
> The initial performance of the MSI seemed nice, but I guess it doesn't
> handle heat all that well, despite the fans and little temp sensors that
> say the mb and CPU are OK.
>
> I only did a Windows XP Repair so I could back up the most recent files
> and am then going for the complete HD wipe. (Gotta find my Tribes CDs
> and see if Corky has a key for them. :p )

I think you'll like the ABit, only board I use. Make sure you get the
latest drivers for the onboard sound. Sometimes onboard sound can be
"noisy" and seems the later drivers work these things out. If you need help
try alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit. Lots of helpful peeps there.

Quixote

Quixote wrote:

> I think you'll like the ABit, only board I use. Make sure you get the
> latest drivers for the onboard sound. Sometimes onboard sound can be
> "noisy" and seems the later drivers work these things out. If you need help
> try alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit. Lots of helpful peeps there.
>
> Quixote

Thanks. New drivers are definitely gonna be a download/install. Any
reason I should use onboard audio and not reuse my SB Audigy MP3 card?
I'm just wondering if the onboard audio would be better than a 2+ year
old card. I guess the same would go for my net card and the onboard net.

--

> Quixote wrote:
>

> > I think you'll like the ABit, only board I use. Make sure you get the
> > latest drivers for the onboard sound. Sometimes onboard sound can be
> > "noisy" and seems the later drivers work these things out. If you need
help
> > try alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit. Lots of helpful peeps there.
> >
> > Quixote
> >

> Thanks. New drivers are definitely gonna be a download/install. Any
> reason I should use onboard audio and not reuse my SB Audigy MP3 card?
> I'm just wondering if the onboard audio would be better than a 2+ year
> old card. I guess the same would go for my net card and the onboard net.

Soundstorm and 6-channel audio sound pretty impressive in print, might sound
pretty impressive over speakers, but then your sound card may be quite good
enough. As for onboard lan, I don't see that the NF7-S has it??

Quixote

http://tinyurl.com/2fec9

> Quixote wrote:
> > "MarkandBrian.net" <bmonson@ncn.com> wrote in message

> > help

> >>Thanks. New drivers are definitely gonna be a download/install. Any
> >>reason I should use onboard audio and not reuse my SB Audigy MP3 card?
> >>I'm just wondering if the onboard audio would be better than a 2+ year
> >>old card. I guess the same would go for my net card and the onboard
net.

> > Soundstorm and 6-channel audio sound pretty impressive in print, might
sound
> > pretty impressive over speakers, but then your sound card may be quite
good
> > enough. As for onboard lan, I don't see that the NF7-S has it??
> >
> > Quixote
>

> http://tinyurl.com/2fec9

From the horses mouth: http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z14412AD8

Quixote

Quixote wrote:
> "MarkandBrian.net" <bmonson@ncn.com> wrote in message
>
>>Quixote wrote:
>>

>>>Soundstorm and 6-channel audio sound pretty impressive in print, might
>
> sound
>
>>>pretty impressive over speakers, but then your sound card may be quite
>
> good
>
>>>enough. As for onboard lan, I don't see that the NF7-S has it??
>>>
>>>Quixote
>>

>>http://tinyurl.com/2fec9
>>

> From the horses mouth: http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z14412AD8
>
> Quixote

Horses have bigger mouths than we give them credit for:
http://tinyurl.com/hhia

pwned! :)

Quixote's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> I think you'll like the ABit, only board I use. Make sure you get the
> latest drivers for the onboard sound. Sometimes onboard sound can be
> "noisy" and seems the later drivers work these things out. If you need help
> try alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit. Lots of helpful peeps there.

I agree with Quixote 100%. Abit is really all I use. As far as the onboard
sound being noisy, I dunno on that, since all my abit motherboards either
dont have on board sound (dont care for integration, have had too many
problems in the past) or if they do, they dont use the stock drivers (I
only have one Abit system with onboard sound, and it's running Debian Sid,
plus I use a SB Audigy as my primary sound card). Its good sense though to
keep the drivers up to date.

I also occaisonally post at alt.comp.mainboards.abit and they are helpful
there too.

MarkandBrian.net's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
his body were:
> Thanks. New drivers are definitely gonna be a download/install. Any
> reason I should use onboard audio and not reuse my SB Audigy MP3 card?
> I'm just wondering if the onboard audio would be better than a 2+ year
> old card. I guess the same would go for my net card and the onboard net.

I personally am using a Audigy on my Abit KV8, primarily because my mobo
doesnt have a gameport, serial port or parallel port (which personally I
think is a bit stupid), and also I dont like onboard sound. As far as the
onboard netcard, I believe yours has the same 3com Gigabit port as mine
does, which works great. Took a little bit to get running under linux (I
had to make sure my system loaded sk98lin on boot, but since that was
included with the distro I use, it only took me 30 seconds to do that
since all I had to do was add sk98lin to the bottom of /etc/modules), but
its been really hassle free for me.

> Quixote wrote:
> > "MarkandBrian.net" <bmonson@ncn.com> wrote in message

> > sound

> > good

> >>http://tinyurl.com/2fec9
> >>

> > From the horses mouth: http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z14412AD8
> >
> > Quixote
> >

> Horses have bigger mouths than we give them credit for:
> http://tinyurl.com/hhia
>
> pwned! :)

Well I looked for the tech specs button but did not see it. :^) They
seemed to have rearranged a bit...

Quixote

Quixote wrote:

>>Horses have bigger mouths than we give them credit for:
>>http://tinyurl.com/hhia
>>
>>pwned! :)
>

> Well I looked for the tech specs button but did not see it. :^) They
> seemed to have rearranged a bit...
>
> Quixote

It actually took me a bit to find that.

Now, I am wondering if there is a program to automate my backing up of
address books, favorites, etc. before I wipe and reformat? I know I'm
going to miss something and realize it after I begin.

> Quixote wrote:
>

> >>Horses have bigger mouths than we give them credit for:
> >>http://tinyurl.com/hhia
> >>
> >>pwned! :)
> >

> > Well I looked for the tech specs button but did not see it. :^) They
> > seemed to have rearranged a bit...
> >
> > Quixote
> >

> It actually took me a bit to find that.
>
> Now, I am wondering if there is a program to automate my backing up of
> address books, favorites, etc. before I wipe and reformat? I know I'm
> going to miss something and realize it after I begin.

IE and OE both have import/export features. Don't know about others.

Quixote

MarkandBrian.net's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
his body were:
> Now, I am wondering if there is a program to automate my backing up of
> address books, favorites, etc. before I wipe and reformat? I know I'm
> going to miss something and realize it after I begin.

Dont think so on that, but not hard to do those yourself

Hellmark wrote:

> MarkandBrian.net's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
> his body were:
>
>>Now, I am wondering if there is a program to automate my backing up of
>>address books, favorites, etc. before I wipe and reformat? I know I'm
>>going to miss something and realize it after I begin.
>

> Dont think so on that, but not hard to do those yourself

I'm just lazy and forgetful. :p

--
ClayPidgeon

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:33:08 -0500, Quixote wrote:

> IE and OE both have import/export features. Don't know about others.
>
> Quixote

Mozilla has the same functions for bookmark management.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Quixote wrote:
> "MarkandBrian.net" <bmonson@ncn.com> wrote in message
>> Quixote wrote:
>>> "MarkandBrian.net" <bmonson@ncn.com> wrote in message

>>> help

>>> Soundstorm and 6-channel audio sound pretty impressive in print,
>>> might sound pretty impressive over speakers, but then your sound
>>> card may be quite good enough. As for onboard lan, I don't see that
>>> the NF7-S has it??
>>>
>>> Quixote
>>

>> http://tinyurl.com/2fec9
>>

> From the horses mouth: http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z14412AD8
>
> Quixote

You know, that's a hell of a lot of mobo for only 92 dollars! Dang.
I don't get why memory is so damn expensive, but most other components
are so reasonable. Go figure...........................

--
>^,,^< Miracle/DkAngel

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

MarkandBrian.net wrote:
> Hellmark wrote:
>
>> MarkandBrian.net's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged
>> through his body were:
>>
>>> Now, I am wondering if there is a program to automate my backing up
>>> of address books, favorites, etc. before I wipe and reformat? I
>>> know I'm going to miss something and realize it after I begin.
>>

>> Dont think so on that, but not hard to do those yourself
>
> I'm just lazy and forgetful. :p

Damn, Bro, don't you have a secondary HD yet? Or Ghost?

:D

--
{{{{{{{HUGZ ! ! }}}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle, imitating Troy

>^,,^< Miracle wrote:
> MarkandBrian.net wrote:
>
>>Hellmark wrote:
>>

>>>MarkandBrian.net's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged
>>>through his body were:

>>>Dont think so on that, but not hard to do those yourself
>>
>>I'm just lazy and forgetful. :p
>

> Damn, Bro, don't you have a secondary HD yet? Or Ghost?
>
> :D

Yes, and Yes. :) I like having all of my data (well, most of it) on my
2nd drive and my programs on my Primary. That way, when the eventual
reformat occurs, I don't have to worry about the data and I can just
back up one HD.

That works well in theory. Application is another matter. (See lazy
and forgetful comment above.) :p

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

MarkandBrian.net wrote:
> That works well in theory. Application is another matter. (See lazy
> and forgetful comment above.) :p

I hear *that*! I still haven't reformatted.......................................

But truthfully, I really haven't had the time to sit and do all the
grunt work needed to do it. If I'm online, it's late at night usually, like
tonight, and I'm too brain-addled to f-disk anything.

I just deleted an email from Annie that I didn't mean to, and now
I've got to tell her to resend it because I'm a freaking idiot. Ugh.