Help! Need a new Home and PS for my bare bone Server

flyhiloone

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Ok, so here is my problem.

I have a server board that needs a home and a power supply. The motherboard is made by Supermicro and its an X6DA8-G which is an E-ATX board so i was thinking about the Coolermaster Cosmos since this system is really noisy when its turned on and its going to be in my office which i need as quiet as possible. (already water cooled my other QX6700 system, so keeping the noise down is important)

My Second question is what power supply will work with this motherboard? Supermicro puts Ablecom 650 together with this motherboard but i want something different. I have already had one of these power supplies and have been unhappy with the noise and it just went bad so i have to upgrade. I was wondering if PC power and Cooling makes a power supply that has the extra connection that these motherboards need. There is the standard 24pin plus a 4 pin and an extra 8 pin that all supply power to the motherboard. If you could help me find a quality power supply that will work i will be very appreciative. Also it doesn't have to be PC power & Cooling any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Fry's electronics has a corsair 450w for $50 after rebate today only that should work fine for you. Assuming you're using a standard atx case, any number of ps should work fine. Some boards with the 8 pin connector will work with the 4 pin 12v ps lead. Many boards have the extra 4 pins taped off as an option. From cheapest to the best my picks: fortron fsp (or sparkle), antec, enermax, corsair, seasonic, and pc power and cooling.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
First of I would never use a 450w PSU for a server, get the Enermax Galaxy S 850w or 1000w PSU for that server, it is the absolute best power supply on the market. Also for a kick ass server case get either a Silverstone KL03, or a Lian-Li PC-A71. Both are E-ATX and the A71 has a dual PSU design so you can save money for 1000w, or you can buy 2 Galaxy S' for true kick ass performance. If not the PC P&C Silencer series is the only other PSU I consider worth buying. Hope this helps.

flyhiloone

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Thanks for your help,
I have to agree with the second comment though 450w is no where close to enough for a server. I think i am going to get the PcPower & cooling 750 watt silencer. I read some reviews and found out that it did have the 4 pin and 8 pin connections along with a 24 pin...
Thanks for you suggestions