Sign in with
Your question

Which were are the BEST boards with AGP and windows 98 support?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 10, 2008 11:45:39 PM

Hi peeps, I'm looking for a list of the best/fastest boards which have AGP slots and support for windows 98.
The two best I have found are similar, the "K8T master2-far" and the "DK8N" These are both small server boards which support Two processors. Both can support a max of two opteron 250's. An equivalency of two fx-57's.

Does anyone know of any better?
March 11, 2008 2:10:09 AM

*blinks*

I don't get it. Can someone explain the punch line to me? thanks!

SUPERCHARGE said:
Hi peeps, I'm looking for a list of the best/fastest boards which have AGP slots and support for windows 98.
The two best I have found are similar, the "K8T master2-far" and the "DK8N" These are both small server boards which support Two processors. Both can support a max of two opteron 250's. An equivalency of two fx-57's.

March 11, 2008 2:42:27 AM

Well... I need a PC which can support windows98, windows2000, windows xp and linux. And it needs to be the fastest possible windows 98 supporting PC out there, and it MUST be able to support windows 98se (cannit stress that enough). This will be a four or 5 boot system depending on which OS i need for sure. But 98,2000 and XP are a must. Does that clarify anything?
Related resources
March 11, 2008 2:45:33 AM

I have to ask, why are you interested in AGP and Windows 98? Somehow I feel like the joke's on me :heink: 
March 11, 2008 3:15:01 AM

Well, simple and difficult enough... Have you ever seen a computer that can play all the old games abd most new games? My roomate has a k8t master2 FAR (dual opterons) that can play pretty much any game out there. But I want to build one more powerful than his so it can be more compatible with todays games. In order to play old games, you need a board that supports AGP and Windows 98 drivers. And looking into the most powerful of those, they are usually servers.

So... I was asking around in case I was missing something. Like perhaps a newer AM2 board or Newer intel Board with windows 98 support. It seems like no one has ever seen a PC run windows 98 which is required for many old games.
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2008 3:27:46 AM

I'd rather have two systems and a KVM switch (to share KB, mouse, monitor and speakers). One PCI-e Win XP gaming machine, and one older WIn 98 machine. AGP limits your video card options and costs more too.

I did this dual machine gaming setup for a while, but long since decided the Win 98se machine wasn't worth the deskspace anymore. I just stopped using it; no time to play old favorites anymore. One such game was Sports Car GT. Loved it and it seemed Broken in XP with SP2. Oh those were the days LAN racing with that game.
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2008 4:09:33 AM

Better off checking out Craiglist's or garage sales for a 98 system. I've picked up 1Ghz Pentium 3's for $50 that the owner just didn't want anymore.
March 11, 2008 4:16:14 AM

Hmm your situation is a rather strange one, I would agree with pauldh that the easiest and possibly most cost effective solution would be build 2 systems (one with new parts i.e. dual/quad core cpu, GF8 or HD 3K, and 2-4GB of DDR2 ram) and another with an old motherboard, old CPU, and a GF FX/6 series or Radeon 9K series (cards that still support Win 98 and can actually be found on the market).

However I'm going to pitch an idea here for you that MIGHT work very well if you'd like bringing you the best of both worlds.

Basically my idea would be running from the same box a computer with new hardware, but with dual graphics cards (not SLI) one old card for your Win98 boot (AGP slot) and one new one (PCIe) for your XP boot. Since your Win98 games won't require much horsepower you won't need to go out of the way on that card, here's what I propose.

Motherboard with an AGP 8x slot and a PCI-e 16x

ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 LGA 775 VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Only card I could find on newegg that was under $50 and wasn't one of the 9250 or 6200 craps. Seems like the better deal for an AGP card under $50 if you ask me.

ZOGIS ZO68LE-DAGP GeForce 6800LE 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

XFX PVT88SFDF4 GeForce 8800GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX ATX12V V2.2 450W Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

Total cost: $495 before rebates.

I'm pretty dual core CPUs and modern motherboards should work just fine under Win98, I've done virtual PC emulations under Win98 SE and it worked just fine with my E6400, so I don't see any problems with my idea other than having to switch the monitor between cards depending on what you want to play (unless you get a KVM switch like paul says to switch between cards). Let me say that this is by FAR the weirdest build I've ever thought of for anyone, but it definitely suits your needs.
March 11, 2008 4:32:28 AM

SUPERCHARGE said:

Have you looked into virtualization? Has anyone had any experience gaming on a virtual OS? I haven't but it is an intriguing possibility.
I would try ASRock motherboards as they make all of the transitional upgrade boards. I know they have AGP boards that support Phenom so it might be worth a shot. Also Intel has 98 drivers up to 965 chipsets.
March 11, 2008 5:32:10 AM

Ok, cool, love these replies and suggestions. But these are all things I've done... virtual machine, bulding old systems...Here's the prob... In order to play many of these old games properly, I built a mobo with a pentium III 950 mhz and a 5500 3dfx card. That took care of a portion of the old games, but then again, the graphic card is unable to support any games above let's say the year 2000. So I decided, hey, maybe my current 7800gt could take care of the rest, but no, was wrong, the games older than 4-5 yrs old would simply crash or not even run. So then, I decided, well hey, i'll get a pentium IV with a radeon 9800. Well, that worked. So one day i decided to play old games like doom, duke nukem, need for speed, red baron, descent II. But most of those really old games simply wouldn't play on either system because the cards didn't offer the proper direct x support. Some games I got working here and there, but the original NFS wouldn't play on the 5500 3dfx, and the ones i got to work on virtual machine or dosbox would often crash or have crappy frame rates and graphics. I still have three pc's here.

But 6 months ago to my surprise, my firend's roommate showed me this wicked pc in an antec nine hundred gaming case... with 5 operating systems, capable of playing ANY game out there... All the old games worked perfectly on his LCD at high resolution, people were nuts about his machine. These old games looked like you never saw them before with their full directx supports and the AA/vsync both maxed out on his 6800 ultra.

Whatever system I use, I have my OC's geforce 6800 ultra already which pretty much holds the key to all old games. A lot of these old games need an old windows 9x system or simply won't work or graphic will just suck.

See...like... EMP, good suggestion but this PC you built would play some decent games, but wouldn't play the ones that would need window 98. That's a part i cannot get around.

As for Jackalope... I'll look at reviews of those boards. Especially the ASRock AGP phenom boards. Can you also link some 965 boards that had win98 support? can't find them.

But hey thanks a lot guys! Give me a reply if you can.

March 11, 2008 5:49:38 AM

Actually the Asrock board JAckalope is speaking of is the 4CoreDual-SATA2 for AMD and i must say... not bad... on this one the Ram support is much much higher than that of the intel and... it has a full PCI express slot.

The only prob is that this is a board made for people who don't want to give up their old AGP cards for cost reasons, don't think it would be made great for playing old games...but then again... maybe. Gotta find someone who owns this board.
March 11, 2008 5:49:47 AM

Most Intel system boards I believe do as Intel lists the drivers on their web site. I have a 9800pro and X800xt AGP and the 9800pro I have been able to get to play every old game I have thrown at it. Now some driver updates have made others not work or bug out on me. So I would use the release drivers for the card to start. The X800Xt is a different story. I am not sure if it is the 256mb of vram or what but many old games bug out or are just a pain to get up and running. I have allot of systems and will at least hold onto my museum for a little longer as no modern solution seams to meet all my needs. I can personally attest to ASRock boards utility. I have had one crunching in my SETI farm for seven years without a hitch. Best cheapo brand around.
March 11, 2008 7:14:30 AM

Unbelievable... And here I was about to spend 450$ on 4 gigs ECC registered memory, 40$ for pci USB2.0 drive, 150 + shipping for a dual 250 opteron setup and god knows how much more for a motherboard, Holy crap.

If windows 98 DOES work on one of these, I'll be killing four birds with one stone. I'll end up spending less, instead of bulding a seperate PC and need two towers, I'll be getting better performance AND upgrade my main computer. Wicked, now i'll read up and see how all this usually turns out.
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2008 7:36:41 AM

SUPERCHARGE said:
Well, simple and difficult enough... Have you ever seen a computer that can play all the old games abd most new games? My roomate has a k8t master2 FAR (dual opterons) that can play pretty much any game out there. But I want to build one more powerful than his so it can be more compatible with todays games. In order to play old games, you need a board that supports AGP and Windows 98 drivers. And looking into the most powerful of those, they are usually servers.

So... I was asking around in case I was missing something. Like perhaps a newer AM2 board or Newer intel Board with windows 98 support. It seems like no one has ever seen a PC run windows 98 which is required for many old games.

ROFLMAO!

For proper dos/win9x games to work you need like a soundblaster 16 with the proper address settings (220/5/1/5) etc (midi's, irq's, dma's) or better still GOOGLE A PROGRAM CALLED DOS BOX

forget the old os's, not worth the hassle, get an old P2 system off ebay with a 440BX chipset, SB16 ISA card and 3Dfx video card - that will run everything old.
March 11, 2008 8:57:22 AM

SUPERCHARGE :

You do not get to be really complicated just to be able to use Windows 98 on a modern computer......

You just need two things, DOSBox and Microsoft Virtual PC. DosBox emulates DOS while Virtual PC will allow you to virtualize hardware making it possible to load Windows 98 on a mobo that doesn't support Win98.
March 11, 2008 9:15:21 AM

pauldh said:
I'd rather have two systems and a KVM switch (to share KB, mouse, monitor and speakers). One PCI-e Win XP gaming machine, and one older WIn 98 machine. AGP limits your video card options and costs more too.

I did dual boot Windows ME (yes, I know, but I couldn't find my W95 CD to use to validate Windows 98), and XP. Now, I have Vista and I can still actually play the Might and Magic games (as well as HOMM) with no issues. I use Dosbox to play Daggerfall and Arena when I want an old TES fix. Eventually, I predict fans will code a Win9x emulator once Windows drops all 32 bit support in a future version.

March 11, 2008 10:50:13 AM

Just out of curiosity: Which old games are you interested in playing?
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2008 11:40:57 AM

As Jackopole said, newer drivers often break older games. Look at MOHAA and expansions, and both ATI and NVdia broke them for a while. The guy with the 5 OS's also took the time to find the drivers needed to play all the games he wanted to and probably made some compromises grabbing best stable drivers not neccesarily best optimized. That should do it for older Windows games. Others already mentioned how they play the even older games.
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2008 12:21:09 PM

I have a couple of old versions of Win 95 games that I just loved to play that won't run in XP, just like you said they either won't install, load, or crash immediately. Simply clicking on "Run this program in Win 95 compatibility mode" takes care of all that.
March 11, 2008 12:25:15 PM

Brings back memories :) 
March 11, 2008 12:56:58 PM

Dosbox, Virtual windows, and windows XP compatibility mode only work to a certain extent. Dosbox being the best is an awesome solution to pre-windows 95, after windows 95-98ish, game graphics look terrible on it. You guys are correct about the Drivers though, that's the point of multiple OS. To run operating system with certain drivers for a specific era of games.

I guess what urks me to hell the fact that there are quite a few boards today with AGP which will play a big portiopn of games, but there are those random ones I love, like some of the old need for speed series and Test drive, mechwarriors that won't work under any other OS than windows 98.

I have an older P4 (2.2ghz or something like that) which supports windows 2000 and an AGP 8x. I'm going to load windows 2000 and XP on. I'll use my 6800ultra, and tell you in a couple days which games give me the trouble. I'll try to work around those issues afterwards.
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2008 1:00:24 PM

The old Mechwarrior, man I loved that game.
March 11, 2008 1:31:30 PM

apache_lives said:
ROFLMAO!

For proper dos/win9x games to work you need like a soundblaster 16 with the proper address settings (220/5/1/5) etc (midi's, irq's, dma's) or better still GOOGLE A PROGRAM CALLED DOS BOX

forget the old os's, not worth the hassle, get an old P2 system off ebay with a 440BX chipset, SB16 ISA card and 3Dfx video card - that will run everything old.

Before you go ROFLMAO on the op and suggest similar things that were already suggested like using a 3dfx card, maybe you should read the whole thread instead.
March 11, 2008 11:18:36 PM

1797191,25,316940 said:

I guess what urks me to hell the fact that there are quite a few boards today with AGP which will play a big portiopn of games, but there are those random ones I love, like some of the old need for speed series and Test drive, mechwarriors that won't work under any other OS than windows 98. quotemsg]

I here you man. I have a 1973 Landcruiser wagon I bought from a Marine in the motor pool it was a United Nations vehicle. I drove it a couple of years in my teens and love it. In Need for Speed 2 you can put a code in and drive it! All without driving my priceless collectors item that parts cost more than human organs in my area. Alas NFS2 does not run on any of my modern machines. So until I put my Cruiser back into service. I have to haul out my collection of P3s and P2s or even my Athalon 750. I have enough parts around that I can build an Athlon Xp 2600 with the Radeon 8500 or 9800 pro and that will be my legacy Landy box. Hell I might even build it inside a toy 'Cruiser. If anyone is interested the code is Lcme for the Landcruiser in NFS2.
March 12, 2008 2:36:43 AM

hm, I was looking at the ALiveDual-eSATA2. has phenom processor ability with GP and PCIexpress. Some people are interested in it if it is boot in windows 98, but no actual anyone doing it yet. This would by my ultimate solution and i'd get the board in a jiffy!
March 12, 2008 4:35:42 AM

Might want to email ASRock Tech support they were quite helpful in the past. Also Look up each individual chip for 98 or Me drivers. If all your major onboard devices are listed I'd say it is a safe bet. You could always try to find it at a retailer with a decent return policy.
March 12, 2008 9:32:00 AM

Jackalope73 said:
Might want to email ASRock Tech support they were quite helpful in the past. Also Look up each individual chip for 98 or Me drivers. If all your major onboard devices are listed I'd say it is a safe bet. You could always try to find it at a retailer with a decent return policy.

If their reply will be so trueful like the one i received a year ago, the op will be misleaded.
I asked them them that if a pentium 3.2 HT would work on a certain asrock model (cant recall which) and they told me omg no way, but the truth if that i tested it, and it worked like wonders, HT on.
November 15, 2009 11:43:23 AM

bump
was this successful?
November 15, 2009 11:44:12 AM

SUPERCHARGE said:
hm, I was looking at the ALiveDual-eSATA2. has phenom processor ability with GP and PCIexpress. Some people are interested in it if it is boot in windows 98, but no actual anyone doing it yet. This would by my ultimate solution and i'd get the board in a jiffy!

did it work?
!