Help Watercooling

cow_moo

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Hey guys I'm thinking about doing watercooling. First I need a cheap kit I'm thinking either:

Swiftech H2O Compact 120 and a Obsidian Waterblock for my 9800GTX

OR

Thermaltake 760i and a Koolance 9800GTX waterblock and nosells.

Both are around 300$ total

Srry bout spelling

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Cow-moo, the H20 Compact 120, by itself, is a decent CPU cooling loop as the Apogee concept is still more than adequate for cooling purposes. But, it does, in fact, only have a single 120mm rad and, realistically speaking, is only capable of handling a very particular heat load. If you o'clocked at all or intended to add a second waterblock to the loop then you would be tasking the radiator's very limited capabilities AND the capabilities of the MCP350 pump that the cooling loop comes with. The H20 - 220 Compact is better able to handle two waterblocks - providing that you do no o'clocking - as it does have a dual 120mm rad at least.

The Thermaltake 760i, while having a slightly more powerful pump than the MCP350 in the Swiftech kit (132gph versus 116gph - head pressure doesn't factor into a cooling loop this small), really does handcuff you with it's limited capabilities as well. The enclosed rad is a single 120mm unit. You would need to add a second rad somewhere in the loop to compensate for the added heat load of the GPU waterblock. Even IF you did that, any intention you might have of o'clocking would be severally limited as even adding a second rad (which would be the equivalent of a dual 120mm rad) doesn't give you much leeway to get rid of the added heat resulting from even doing simple o'clocking.

So, the sum of it all is that with two 120mm rads (whether it be a dual 120mm rad or 2 single 120mm rads) - your oclocking capabilities are limited - because of the radiator situation AND the pump capabilities. All that, plus the fact that both kits are 3/8ID, will not give you much area to work for o'clocking, experimentation or future expansion of the cooling loop.

I felt that you should understand what you were actually dealing with before you committed to making a choice.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
If you are asking
what do u men by cya in less thaan a year if u buy thermaltake
then you really haven't read enough.

If you had read and done plenty of research, there really would be no need to ask which kit to get because you would already know that you need to get specific components from different vendors...not just one 'kit'.

Thank you Phreejak for pointing out the limitations of each kit (mainly radiators) and providing some advice on them. It is early, and I am only on my first cup of coffee; forgive the bluntness of my response. :)

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
First and formost the two words cheap and watercooling combined are a route to disaster. In todays dictionary on watercooling the definition of the word Thermaltake is a leaking mess.

cow_moo

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
well I have looked at the benchies for both the swiftechs 120 and 220 with a second loop and they are almost identical #s maybe a differenceby 1-2C. ANSI already know to check for leaks before. I'm actually only ocing my GPU NOT CPU

cdl1701

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
If you seriously want to go with a kit and are wanting to cool both your CPU and GPU you will need something better than a single radiator. If $300 is your budget I would highly suggest this kit http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/sislcpugpuco.html
although if you can I would suggest pick and choosing your parts. For me swiftech or danger den are the only way to go when it comes to water cooling blocks. They are really high performing and leak proof.

I cool a 9800gtx ssc, and a Q6600 with mine and use most of what is in this kit.

cow_moo

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
thx for that link im going to either buy the swiftec compact 120 or the compact 220

Ill post some diagrams of how this will be used with the swiftech 120/220 and which one u guys think will best acording to my diagrams.

I also have a Cosmos S

G

do it yourself... you'll get much better performance for less

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
There is only 1 way to water cool and that is building the loop from parts. $350 will make you an amazing CPU loop.

I would suggest to not even bother with water unless you plan on running a high OC. You are likely to only loss 2-6 degrees…

Get yourself a Xigmatek Air cooler for $40 and call it a day. My new PC I went with the Xigmatec instead of a custom water system like I had on my old rig and im very happy I did. Water is fun to build and it works great but that’s where the benefits end. Your PC when full of water needs maintenance, can’t be moved very much, and is every bit as loud as my Air cooled rig and of course the expense/time.

cow_moo

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I'm going to suggest a much better WC kit:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/ [...] g30c83s137
$250 + S&H (much better than either of those loops you posted)

Ya im thinking about getting this now.

But can i mount it in the front of the case or do i need to mount it in the back of the case with the external attachment??

There is only 1 way to water cool and that is building the loop from parts. $350 will make you an amazing CPU loop.

I would suggest to not even bother with water unless you plan on running a high OC. You are likely to only loss 2-6 degrees…

Get yourself a Xigmatek Air cooler for $40 and call it a day. My new PC I went with the Xigmatec instead of a custom water system like I had on my old rig and im very happy I did. Water is fun to build and it works great but that’s where the benefits end. Your PC when full of water needs maintenance, can’t be moved very much, and is every bit as loud as my Air cooled rig and of course the expense/time.

Just to let u know im overclocking the CPU and GPU at the same and different times.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
You can mount it however you want. If you goggle your case and the word watercooling you probably will find some build mods for your case.

It's all up to you and your abilities.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
this is a perfect water loop... just buy these parts.
OD = Outside Diameter
ID = Inside Diameter

1)-9 metal hose clamps from hardware store (these work the best, under a buck each)

2)-Swiftech Opogee GTZ Waterblock OR D-TEK Customs Fuzion V2 - 5/9”OD barbs (the difference between the top end cpu blocks is about 1 degree.. I choose the one I thought looked best)

3)-Swiftech MCP655 12v Industrial pump (this is an awesome pump, a bitch to get the tubing over it, but it will go…patients)

4)-1*Smartcoils 625blue (wrap around tubes to keep from kinking)

5)-10 foot Masterclear pvc tubing 7/16”ID , 5/9”OD (flexible and inexpensive)

6)-3* Scythe S-Flex SFF21F fans (for the Radiator) (fans…whichever you like the most are fine)

7)-2*Swiftech ½” OD Chrome plated barbs (for radiator)

8)-Copper T connection (for the T line) (Hardware store, get a 5/9 or 1” OD copper or brass)

9)-Feser One Fluid UV Purple NON-CONDUCTIVE Water Replacement (used about 20 OZ. for this system, 1 bottle is crazy overkill….this is not in my Picture, I changed the water, looks 100% better….

10)-Danger Den Fillport (goes top of T line to get water into the system from outside, makes system look far more professional/clean)

11)-Swiftech MCB-120 Radbox (used to attach the radiator to the back of machine, or wherever you would like…makes install a breeze.)

12)- Thermochill Pa 120.3 Triple 120MM Fan Water Cooling Radiator

This is what it looks like:

***If you want to cool the GPU(s) I would build a second loop to do it proper, however this loop can easily handle a single GPU added.

***edit***
added a better pic:

cow_moo

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
ok now I'm going to either get a Swiftech Compact 220 or the ultra 220 or a custom kit from danger den.

Also THX for slapping some sense into me =):)

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
No worries, ya just didn't know yet. Thanks, many don't listen. And liquids..... Experianced WC users who don't need color use distilled water and biocide. Cheap and effective. I don't feel like linking to lots of posts and vids of distilled water vs expensive liquids and whats better. For colored tubing, Feser makes some really neat colored UV tubing now.

Danger Den is one place that sells it. Look at Petras for decent stuff too.

cow_moo

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
ya I have I love that tubing. Guys I will be posting full specs of all the systems I'm thinking of. Also I need to know if I can Velcro a RES and a pump on top of my HDD cage (the one that comes with the Cosmos S). Oh and one more thing I need a order to put it in. Ge'ez forgot one more thing do pumps have a in and a out to connect tubes if so which side is and which side is out??