Have you seen these type of artifacts before?

husky mctarflash

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
I have an artifact problem on my new HD3870. Best I can describe them is as black magic marker scribbles that are in constant motion. I have bitmap and jpeg screenshots, but can't seem to upload them to the forum for everyone to see. If anyone knows how to do so, let me know and I will post them.

1. what is this type of artifact called?
2. what causes it?
3. what solves it?
4. is is something that I should RMA my new videocard over?

I can't seem to get them to go away. I have tried toggling antialiasing, as well as anisotropics. I played with the clock settings on the VC, and moved down to stock. The system is not overheating (Antec case well vented, and card is running at about 45 degrees when this happened). This just started happening in the last day or so consistently, but I have seen it on occasion before. It only seems to be a BF2 issue. It is from BF2, at 1024 resolution, High settings.

Thanks for your help everyone!

You might try taking the side cover off the case and sitting a house fan up blowing onto the video card. Sometimes Video RAM can overheat and cause the artifacting. Otherwise, a weak power supply is a prime canditate for those symptoms. Of course, a bad video card is possible. Try another card.