Recommended Router for Wireless N Upgrade

spritemv

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
I'm finally getting around to upgrading my outdated home network to Wireless N. At the moment my network consists of a desktop computer that will be wired to the router, a Wii, an iPhone, and an older laptop running wireless G. I will also soon have a new laptop and an HTPC connected.

I am currently comparing the Belkin N+, Linksys WRT610N, and D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N routers. I'm leaning toward the Belkin N+ due to its long range and low price, but have no experience with Belkin. I've actually been running the same WRT54G since setting up my network many years ago. Is the WRT610N worth the extra money with its dual band capabilities? I don't really know much about 5GHz vs. 2.4GHz. I think the Belkin and Linksys both offer NAS-type storage although I don't believe either are true NAS. A print server would be handy, but I don't think any of these offer this functionality.

What do you guys recommend? Thanks for your insights!

Ken168

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
Not sure how you connect to internet. I recently installed Belkin N1 Vision modem router. It works great. The ability to see the bandwidth usage from every pc/laptop is a big bonus when you are concerned about your download cap.

G

If you live in an urban area with lots of wirelessed neighbours (I seem to detect 33 within range) 5ghz would be a godsend.

spritemv

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
There are quite a few other wireless networks around (probably around 15 within range). Will a 5 GHz network make a big difference in the speed/range of my network? Are most wireless N adapters capable of using a 5 GHz network?