Can I overclock my system? how ?

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Ok I have a Dell XPS system with P4 in it running at 2.8GHz...

I was wondering if i can overclock it, because you cant usually overclock stock systems... but then when I took my old burned mobo to shooting range, I noticed that its a foxcon,

so I started to wonder if I can overclock it, and if its really worth it, because Its a P4, and its AGP system,

My biggest worry is passive heatsink architecture which is built like a windtunel (2 120mm fans blow all the air out the back with cpu closed by plastic cover to create airflow)

cadeted

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
If it's an XPS6xx, I don't think you can. My brother had an 600 and we couldn't get a non-Dell bios to flash correctly on the board (foxcon also).

And since Dell removes all the overclocking settings from their bios, I don't think you can.

Although I'm probably wrong, I've never heard of anyone overclocking the XPSs.

Let me if you get it done though, I still have the motherboard sitting around somewhere not doing much....

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Dell uses custom bios. They don't build their own parts, the put different parts together just like everyone else. The difference between Dell and the do it yourselfers is, Dell will use the oldest cheapest parts they can for their regular systems.

When you get a dell you are generally getting tech that is 2+ years old.

I just built my mom a PC for $600 with 20" monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers ect.... It has a 3.2 core 2 duo in it. I built a comparable system @ Dell.com and it came to $1600.

I built my son one with 22" monitor ect..... and a e8400 E0 stepping for $800 and it is running 4.5, try getting that from Dell.

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008

well i got it for a birthday present 2 years ago, at that point i think it wass like 2-3 years old already (since its my uncle's pc) my mother bought it for me for $300, so i dont complain =P

i woulda build my pc myself back then, if i knew how and if i had money.

now i know how to build a pc, and im leaving into service in 13 days so, once im done with my tech school after basic, i will build myself a nice system =)