acidpython

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
Can someone explain the deal with ATI and linux? I haven't quite understood why nvidia is having a nice time with linux while ATI still has horrible support. I've just bought a new rig with a 3870X2 and found it is completly unsupported (even running one 3870 isn't possible) with linux.

Its a bit of a pain because i was hoping the extra memory would help with photo and video work. Does ATI just produce drivers for paid versions of linux (red hat etc) or do they not have any drivers at all? I was just wondering since i heard ATI support under linux got better. Tempted in picking up a 8600GT just to boost my linux work.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Go for the Nvidia card if you're using Linux. ATI is making headway on Linux but it's going slowly. ATI is providing open source drivers but I guess they don't have enough people working on it or it is just going slowly. Newer hardware always takes longer to get good working drivers for any OS but Linux, in particular. Afterall, how many people use Linux compared to Windows? Both ATI and Nvidia will work on Windows support first.

Support in Linux is promising for ATI card holders but I wouldn't go with ATI until support is that much in front of Nvidia (for Linux). Nvidia has mostly proprietary drivers but the support is better albeit with bugs or annoying issues that creep up from time to time. Check out the "Phoronix" website for more info on Linux-Nvidia/Linux-ATI relationships.