How to trick a PC into extended desktop

roarke

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Ok I'm hoping that some of ye hardware experts might help me, or point me in the right direction.

I have a piece of software that allows me to capture the primary or secondary screen and output the contents wirelessly using 802.11b/g to any Monitor or projector.

The system works well and supports DVD quality video fine.

Now my problem is that I want to use it in extended desktop mode (not clone) and to set this up it requires a external monitor to be connected to the secondary VGA/ DVI output in order to setup extended mode, I can set it up and then unplug the extra monitor and all works perfectly as the PC still thinks it in extended mode and the software mentioned above remain capturing the secondary monitor image-- even though the monitor is not connected-- and place it wirelessly on the remote LCD screen.

Can any of ye guys come up with a way of tricking the pc into extended mode without having to connect an external monitor. Worst case scenario is there some type of powere VGA dongle which would send the signal to the pc and trick it into extended mode. Can I cross pin or some what to trick the PC

HELP please!!!!

Eamonn

ganpachi

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
I see what you want to do here, but since the size of the extended desktop is a function of the resolution of the secondary display which is bound by the physical architecture of the second display, well, I'm not sure it can be done.

I am not sure how the software you use works, but if you can set the specific region of the screen that it broadcasts, the the following trick might work to create a larger desktop than you really have and then use the overflow that won't display as a psedo-second monitor:

Notice a trend in the second half of this story? If you answered, "They're all registry hacks," you are correct. Windows XP's registry loads an amazing amount of flexibility and customization in a fairly low-risk package.

"Tip number 4 on our list is another one of our favorite registry hacks. Windows XP allows you to specify a large number of set screen resolutions based on what types of images your display can accept. However, in a few rare instances, you may want to specify a non-standard resolution for a clearer or more accurate picture. This tip allows you to do just that. It's one of those tips that doesn't seem all that handy — until you desperately need it. Plus, it's just plain cool. If you have a wonky projector or TV screen you want to use with a laptop or PC, you might want to give this a try.

Here's how it works:

1. Open RegEdit and browse to HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VIDEO\ {the address of your primary video card...it often begins with "23A77BF7"}\0000\

2. The Default Settings.XResolution data value is the horizontal resolution, and the Default Settings.YResolution data value is the vertical. Double-click the Default Settings.XResolution data entry, select the Decimal radio button, and in the Value Data field, enter your desired horizontal resolution. Then do the same with Default Settings.YResolution to change the vertical resolution.

3. Exit RegEdit and reboot your PC. "

roarke

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
thanks Ganpachi, we will work on this. The wireless device that we output to supports upto 1280 x768 through the wireless converter. The software I want to use does require extended mode and I don't think stretching the screen will work, however the registry setting is a good start. By any chance would you know how the PC hold the setting if you plug in the monitor then extend and then unplug the monitor, it stays in extended mode. if we could get a hack for this it could be interesting.

Thanks for your reply it will help

You mention ""Tip number 4 on our list is another one of our favorite registry hacks." Is this tip on another thread some where, sorry I'm new to the forum.

Thanks again