What do you think about OCZ Reaper?

PRotypeTR

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Hi all,

I'm going to buy

OCZ 2GB 800Mhz DDR2 REAPER HPC EDITION (2x1GB) PC2 6400 CL4 RAM

What do you think about this RAM?
Is it a bad choise for DS3L/EP35-DS3R with E8400 CPU?

My rig :

Core2Duo E6600@3.2
ASUS P5KE- WIFI
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 500GB 16MB
OCZ VINDICATOR CPU COOLER
OCZ 4GB REAPER DDR2 800 4-4-4-15
OCZ 8800GTX @612/1080(=8800ULTRA)
OCZ PROXSTREAM 1000WAT
THERMALTAKE ARMOR CASE
LG M228WA MONITOR
XP 32 + SP3

All of my OCZ products are solid as u see i have the exact RAM of yours (maybe the timings will be a little different ) i have mine @ 4-4-4-15 with 2.1 voltages and @ 712MHZ and its solid
Go for it :)

also i have to disagree with aevm, because u cant say Crucial RAMs OC better, Crucial is a very solid brand but other brands like Geil,OCZ,Corsair...... are all good :)

LOL, I'm using OCZ RAM myself, I shouldn't criticize them. Anyway, yeah, that OCZ model seems to overclock nicely if you read the newegg comments, and the price is great. Go for it.

PRotypeTR

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Thanks four your opinions. But I don't do OC.
Hmm.. This RAM for OC ? or anything like this?
For my gaming computer I will buy as soon as possible.(Nearly in May.)

E8400 , DS3L or EP35-DS3R , SPARKLE 8800 GTS 512 MB, And the case Cooler Master RC series , and the PSU OCZ 600W ect.

I ask again it is good for a gaming computer or not. Or whatelse what are you saying the alternate RAMs (in OCZ or Corsair,Kingston)

Thanks again.

It sounds like a great gaming computer. :)

Why the Sparkle video card? I have nothing against them, but I think I'd still prefer one of the big brands like eVGA/BFG/XFX/Asus. There's also an MSI 8800GTS 512MB at newegg that comes with a free game (the Witcher) and has a very low price.

Are you trying to decide between the DS3L and DS3R? If in doubt go for the DS3R. It will cost $40 more or so, but you get 2 more SATA cables and an eSATA bracket and RAID support and 8 SATA ports instead of 4. It's worth it IMO.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Just so you know, I got the 2x2GB CAS4 Reaper on DS3L, but was never able to run it at rated timing, the best I was able to do is 4-5-4-15. I played with RAM and NB voltage without success. Still very satisfied with the product, I think the problem comes from the MB.

Yeah i just forgot :) Also dont read newegg reviews :) 90% of them arent reliable
I prefer forum users experience :)

PRotypeTR

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
@aevm, because there is no another choice in Turkey. Sparkle,Zotac or MSI for the price Sparkle is good for me..

@Scotteq, what did you say I can't understand anything :S

He meant he's using 8MB of that type of RAM with his DFI motherboard.

"Cas 4 timings" is good, it means it's fast RAM.

2.1V is the voltage he picked in the BIOS to make it work best with his motherboard.

Sorry for the shorthand.... :)

It's a DFI motherboard. "LP" is their 'Lanparty' series, and P35 is which chipset.

"CAS4" means memory timings of 4-4-4-** Cas 5 would be 5-5-5-** etc... Each spot is for a different function. It's not necessary to know exactly what these are (though it certainly does help!). Rather the important thing to know is that these numbers say how many clock cycles it takes to perform that function. So at Cas 4, it takes 4 cycles to perform each function. Cas 5 means it takes 5. So lower numbers are obviously better - The computer will respond faster.

For the quantity/speed of memory (8GB of DDR2 800) I have in my computer, Cas 4 is about as good as it gets.

PRotypeTR

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
It is StealthXStream 600W...
And it is about 120 $

With Cooler Master ELITE RC-333 Case it will be good.

120 + 65 = 185 $ TOTAL

--

But someone told Cooler Master RC-690 460W is includes REAL PSU ! It is about 150 $..

What is the best choice?