How to compare CPU's

ostrich2

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
Some core 2 duo's are better than core i3's, and some core 2 quads are better than core i5's, what specifications do you need to compare and factor in to find out what CPU is better than the other ?

Is it the clock speed, # of cores, FSB, L2 & L3 cache, hyper-threading and turbo boost, GPU frequency, "nm" measurement, etc, etc ?

The higher/lower the number the better, what do you need to look out for ?

Basically, the newer the better. New architecture trumps differences in clock speed, FSB, and cache. Intel LGA 1155 CPUs are the best, currently - Core 2 CPUs have been left in the dust by the past 2 generations of Intel CPUs.

What's the price range you're looking for?

InvalidError

Titan
Each application and each game has its own optimization quirks that may make it perform better on one particular CPU, there is no point in obsessing over that unless you want to optimize performance for a very specific piece of software.

How CPUs behave is the result of how their dozens of architecture-specific quirks interact with each other, there is no single parameter that can be isolated as the only/dominant reason. A CPU's performance is the result of everything involved with it. Hundreds if not thousands of details big and small.

Over a broader application range however, newer CPUs tend to be faster overall.

it's tougher to compare today's cpu compared to older cpus when you had only one core and clockrate to compare. you can read reviews, research price ranges, ask people who own the cpus. you can also check hardware sites like toms for reviews and ask in the forums. anandtech provides a bench page for comparing different cpus at stock settings:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2
personally, i look out for better performance-price-power efficiency ratio when researching cpus' performance. other people have their own ways.

ostrich2

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010

Before, I thought the newer the CPU model, the better it would be from its predecessor.

But i looked at this chart (did tomshardware take out the ability to post images directly?):
http://alatest.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Gaming-CPU-hierarchy-chart.jpg

I know the title is "gaming cpu hierarchy chart", but I thought it would translate into general use as well.

As you can see some Core 2 CPU's are placed higher than the past 2 generations of Intel CPU's.

Also,
How does one compile such a chart in the first place ?
They would've needed to compare some things in order to come to their conclusion.
(I'm trying to figure out what though)

:::EDIT:::
I found a 2012 version here on tomshardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

ostrich2

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
I don't have a price range, I'm not in the market for one right now.
It's just I'd like to know how to compare CPU's, so when I am, I can determine which CPU has the best bang for your buck.

And it's just nice to know.

InvalidError

Titan

They run benchmarks, conjure up some form of aggregate score based on benchmark results and group CPUs that have somewhat comparable overall performance together.

There is no single factor chosen to pick order, it is the sum of hundreds if not thousands of small factors that make up the variations in each benchmark's outcome and overall ranking.

As with any "score" which is some sort of average, those are only provided as a non-technical selection help tool. Mileage varies on an application-by-application basis so if you want a comparison based on specific pieces of software, you are going to have to hunt down benchmark results for those specific pieces of software and make your own decisions based on those.

There is no universal answer to which is better and there is no single factor that will determine this either.

the underlined part - gaming is a specific use. if you check the forum pages frequently, you'll notice that many people attempt to build gaming pcs. gaming depends mostly on gfx cards and on cpus to a lesser extent. gaming cpus don't always mean that the cpu would be suitable for general use. it is quite possible that a gaming pc could be overkill for general purpose. most people can easily get by using a cheap quad core or dual core cpu instead of a core i5 2500k.
when you compare the two hierarchy charts in your post you will notice how much has changed between the updates. when new products and information become available, the chart changes. the gaming cpu and gaming gfx card hierarchy chart get monthly updates. you will have to keep track on the time and changes to keep yourself up to date.

you don't have to be in the market to have a price range. for example, one can set a $200 limit and always look out for which cpu is the best within that limit. there is no strict rule for this. unfortunately, tech world changes so fast that you'll fall behind in info if you don't keep track.

InvalidError

Titan

My golden rule: don't spend more than you feel comfortable paying unless you actually have to.

The highest clocked quad-cores are better than the dual-core i3s and i5s from 2 generations ago, yes. But the newest Intel Core CPUs just run over everything else in gaming.

That's a great article that points out the best gaming CPU for each price range.

TRENDING THREADS