Sign in with
Your question

XFX 790i Ultra + Thermalright IFX 14 - Will it fit?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Thermalright
Last response: in Motherboards
April 22, 2008 5:12:01 PM

Looking for anyone who has attempted to fit an IFX-14 to an XFX 790i Ultra.

It doesn't work stock for stock with the EVGA 790i Board due to fitment issues with the backplate.

It definitly wont fit for a horizontal air-flow as the fins would interfere with the MB cooling system, however, it looks like...even just...it would fit for airflow blowing out the top of the case.

Has anyone tried pairing the two even just for test sizing?

My new computer parts will all be ready for pickup on Friday, but im worried that I might have a delay if I have to order a different heatsink.

Thank you!

More about : xfx 790i ultra thermalright ifx fit

April 22, 2008 11:29:54 PM

Well, after much research it looks like any heatsink that uses a Back-Plate is not compatible with any 790i Ultra Reference Board. (XFX, EVGA, etc).

The Scythe Ninja or the Coolermaster Hyper TX-2 are my 2 choices for this board at this point since they use simple stock configuration push-pin design.

The Ultra-120 Extreme backplate will work with some minor padding where it "potentially" crushes and damages some transistors, but I figure it isn't worth the hassle at this point.

Thought I'd Share.

April 23, 2008 10:48:18 AM

Good to know thx.
Related resources
April 23, 2008 7:21:13 PM

The Tuniq Tower has a back plate, but I've seen a few people with 790i's that have that cooler and haven't seen anyone mention any issues. A quick search of the net and I still couldn't find anyone with any issues. Anyone here have a 790i Tuniq combo? Curious to know if it will actually work on an XFX board as I was planning to buy both on friday for my new build.
April 24, 2008 12:12:48 PM

790i and Tuniq Tower? Anyone at all?

Bugger it, guess I'll have to be the guinea pig and let you all know once it's built (or half built as the case may be). :p 
April 25, 2008 7:13:34 AM

i wonder if the back side cooler from the IFX will work with the TRUE 120
May 6, 2008 4:35:38 PM

I used a Zerotherm BF90, it has a back plate. The trick is and this happened with an old 680i MSI diamond board I had, the back plate shorts out the mobo ( I learned this 2 RMA's later) the trick is you can use some non conductive material to cover the backplate, (I used some electrical tape and cut out the whole in the middle directly under where the processor would be so the tape wouldn't melt) and thus far on 2 systems, 1 has been running for a year now and still is and the new one the 790i has been running for about 5 days now with some hardcore gaming and still going at low temps. Of course this is not the optimal way of doing this but it still works and i'm not complaining.
May 16, 2008 11:37:54 PM

Just finished building my new PC and the Tuniq Tower back plate fit perfectly on my XFX 790i mobo, and the actual cooler fit fine too. Very happy bunny right now with my shiny new PC! :D 
May 18, 2008 11:37:29 AM

Has anyone tested the Cooler Master hyper z600 with this mobo yet?
July 1, 2008 4:33:44 AM

I recently got an IFX-14 with an EVGA 790i to mount inside a Thermaltake armor+ case. It fits, as long as it's positioned to where the airflow goes from top to bottom. So yes, it WILL fit. I'll post pics of it installed after I finish lapping it, yes lapping is absolutely necessary for this heat sink as the contact are is slightly convex. Which considering the weight of the heatsink w/ fan, will degrade its contact with the cpu even more once it's mounted in the case. I know, for an $80+ (w/ shipping) you'd think I'd get a more ready to use heatsink.....go figure. :pfff: 

The backplate cooler is another story entirely..... After installing on the MB for a dry run, it poked out about 2 inches from the top of the motherboard. Not good seeing as it would prevent me from putting the MB tray back into the case. But all is not lost yet... Once I'm done lapping the Heatsink, I'm going to test fit an alternate mounting position that would place backplate cooler's heatsink towards the back of the MB since the piping is covered with a rather sturdy plastic film, I wont have to worry about shorting the MB. As long as it clears the video card and doesn't block any of the rear ports I'm using then we're back in business.

I hope this works, that backplate cooler is awful nice and effective and I'd hate to have to toss or trade it. :bounce: 
June 3, 2009 3:53:50 AM

PraxGTI said:
Well, after much research it looks like any heatsink that uses a Back-Plate is not compatible with any 790i Ultra Reference Board. (XFX, EVGA, etc).

The Scythe Ninja or the Coolermaster Hyper TX-2 are my 2 choices for this board at this point since they use simple stock configuration push-pin design.

The Ultra-120 Extreme backplate will work with some minor padding where it "potentially" crushes and damages some transistors, but I figure it isn't worth the hassle at this point.

Thought I'd Share.

What is this padding?
Where can i get some?
Got any pictures of how to pad this?
(one big square of padding or what?)
Is the padding Heatproof or Heat-resistance
October 13, 2009 11:05:58 AM

ZenDigital said:
I recently got an IFX-14 with an EVGA 790i to mount inside a Thermaltake armor+ case. It fits, as long as it's positioned to where the airflow goes from top to bottom. So yes, it WILL fit. I'll post pics of it installed after I finish lapping it, yes lapping is absolutely necessary for this heat sink as the contact are is slightly convex. Which considering the weight of the heatsink w/ fan, will degrade its contact with the cpu even more once it's mounted in the case. I know, for an $80+ (w/ shipping) you'd think I'd get a more ready to use heatsink.....go figure. :pfff: 

The backplate cooler is another story entirely..... After installing on the MB for a dry run, it poked out about 2 inches from the top of the motherboard. Not good seeing as it would prevent me from putting the MB tray back into the case. But all is not lost yet... Once I'm done lapping the Heatsink, I'm going to test fit an alternate mounting position that would place backplate cooler's heatsink towards the back of the MB since the piping is covered with a rather sturdy plastic film, I wont have to worry about shorting the MB. As long as it clears the video card and doesn't block any of the rear ports I'm using then we're back in business.

I hope this works, that backplate cooler is awful nice and effective and I'd hate to have to toss or trade it. :bounce: 

i'm using xfx 790i ult sli...planing to get the ifx-14 can u upload photo of yours want to see if can fit the 790i or not
!