  • Chip
  • Boot
  • Windows XP
August 2, 2005 12:25:32 AM

I have an eMachines T3256 with 500MB RAM (Samsung chip). It takes
about 30sec to boot up. I added a 1000MB Kingston ValueRAM chip (for
a total of 1500MB RAM) and now it takes 90sec. I removed the Samsung
chip leaving the 1000MB Kingston chip and my boot-up time is back to
30sec. So with either the Samsung chip or the Kingston chip the
boot-up time is about 30sec but with both chips the boot-up time is
about 90sec. Any ideas why it takes 3x longer to boot with both chips
installed or any idea of any good diganostic tools that I might use to
pinpoint the problem?

Note that the motherboard POST test is disabled and that the delay is
occuring after the WindowsXP logo has appeared. The progress bar that
appears while WindowsXP is loading actually stops for about 60sec
during the boot-up process when both chips are installed so this seems
to be a Windows problem rather than a software problem. The progress
bar was stopped for so long that I actually thought that the computer
locked up the first couple of times that I tried to boot with both
chips installed but when I leave it alone it starts moving again after
a 60sec delay and the boot-up process actually completes after about
90sec. When I go back to only one chip, the Windows progress bar
moves continuously and the system boots without the 60sec delay.

More about : memory

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 2:52:03 AM

Most computers running a P4,should replace memory cards in pairs,or add
another card like the one already installed.Some computers fail to operate
if not done this way.You might try,switching the cards around to diffrent
slots,when its powered off,remove the battery,locate the CMOS jumper pin,
move from 1-2 to 2-3 for 2 minutes,then back to 1-2,replace battery,start
computer.You'll have to readjust basic BIOS settings.A good memory tester,
try:http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp Download and install to floppy.

"bew" wrote:

> I have an eMachines T3256 with 500MB RAM (Samsung chip). It takes
> about 30sec to boot up. I added a 1000MB Kingston ValueRAM chip (for
> a total of 1500MB RAM) and now it takes 90sec. I removed the Samsung
> chip leaving the 1000MB Kingston chip and my boot-up time is back to
> 30sec. So with either the Samsung chip or the Kingston chip the
> boot-up time is about 30sec but with both chips the boot-up time is
> about 90sec. Any ideas why it takes 3x longer to boot with both chips
> installed or any idea of any good diganostic tools that I might use to
> pinpoint the problem?
>
> Note that the motherboard POST test is disabled and that the delay is
> occuring after the WindowsXP logo has appeared. The progress bar that
> appears while WindowsXP is loading actually stops for about 60sec
> during the boot-up process when both chips are installed so this seems
> to be a Windows problem rather than a software problem. The progress
> bar was stopped for so long that I actually thought that the computer
> locked up the first couple of times that I tried to boot with both
> chips installed but when I leave it alone it starts moving again after
> a 60sec delay and the boot-up process actually completes after about
> 90sec. When I go back to only one chip, the Windows progress bar
> moves continuously and the system boots without the 60sec delay.

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 3:31:16 AM

Considering that your computer does a memory test at boot, more memory
requires more time which makes for a longer boot time.

Check your BIOS there is probably a setting there to skip this process.

--
Good Day
River Rat

"bew" <bweddl@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:D cmi2v$hhc$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
[...]

August 2, 2005 3:22:08 PM

You might also try the Kingston site for support on how to correctly config
your sys for the 1gb chips.
It isnt allways a case of poping it in and booting, some mobo/cpu
combinations require ram timings/voltages to be altered to correctly config