Control panel icons not working vista

flavanostars

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Hello, I'm having issues with several control panel icons not responding when I click on them. The icons in question are Volume, and Regional and Language Settings.

Volume can be modified via the volume icon on the task bar, but no way to do anything with Regional/Language. I've tried Run > App Name and the results are the same.

How can I resolve this issue?

(Note: malwarebytes has been run in normal and safe-mode. Nothing detected)

Windows restore back to date when they worked.

flavanostars

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

Not possible. Lost disc space during the time span between now and then and lost all restore points in the process as well. Sufficient disc space is available now but it's already been over a year since the icons last worked and restoring cannot be done at this point.

I've read solutions for XP all over this forum but none worked and no idea how to adjust the changes on Vista

flavanostars

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

Not possible. Lost disc space during the time span between now and then and lost all restore points in the process as well. Sufficient disc space is available now but it's already been over a year since the icons last worked and restoring cannot be done at this point.

I've read solutions for XP all over this forum but none worked and no idea how to adjust the changes on Vista

flavanostars

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

You will need your Vista CD to repair-install the OS.
May want to read this re vista win7 restore points.
http://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/fix-missing-system-restore-points-in-windows-vista-and-7/

flavanostars

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

If I were to restore the PC to factory settings (wipe out the HD) and install Windows 7 Ultimate, would that resolve the issue as well?
I'm also wondering if this procedure would be an appropriate way to get rid of ALL the viruses and malwares etc that are on this PC at the moment.

That is normally the way to do it, but you lose anything you installed and personal files etc.