Video Card? Motherboard? or Win XP

computerfrog

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
i just build my first computer and im having video problems!!!!

i got the q6600 for 199 so i had to go with that.
then i went with the GA-EP35C-DS3R Motherboard
2 gigs of ram.
win xp pro

I first took the video card from my old computer an ati x300, it was working fine for a few hours and then i installed updates and restarted my computer, it then reboots and shows the post on the screen but then half way through windows boot the monitor goes blank, after a bunch of BS i noticed if i connect with the VGA cable the card works fine. So i put the card in the old computer to see if the card was broken or something else and the same thing happened in the old computer. So i thought fine the card got messed up when i installed it oh well.

SO, i got a free gt7300gs and everything worked for the whole day, then i turned of my computer, the next day i turned it on and it gets all the way to my desktop then everything freezes and a repeating sound is played thought my computer. the only way i can now get into windows if i choose use vga mode for windows startup then change the resolution back to normal. but i have to do that every time i reboot. any idea what is going on. is this the crappy graphics cards not being compatable with a 4 core processor, a bad motherboard or the once liked windows XP.

if you got any ideas i would be happy to hear a solution.

thanks

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Well, you just built your first computer you say ? Have you made sure that you have the proper/newest video drivers installed? Have you run Windows Update and gotten all of those? Also, have you installed your chipset drivers for your motherboard. Just some thoughts. If all else fails, try reinstalling XP after a fresh format of your hdd.

TRENDING THREADS