X2 5000+ BE stuck at 2.8

n1stunna

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Hello.

I just built a new computer and decided to over clock for the first time.
I went with a X2 5000+ Black Edition and an Asus M3a78-T

now I read the reviews and several articles and that talked about getting to 3.0 Ghz on stock voltage with just the multiplier.

My problem is that I am unable to get past 2.8 properly.
at 2.9 I can run Prime 95 for only 5 hours if im lucky and at 3 its a 30% chance I wont get in to windows.

I tried upping the Voltage to 1.4 and still nothing.
the odd thing is when im at 1.4 volts Cpu-Z, AMD Power Monitor and Throttle Watch all report the voltage as 1.3. yet the BIOS shows 1.399 under the hardware monitor.

Temps should be fine I have yet to see any thing above 25c at 1.4
and Cool n Quiet is disabled. The northbridge temps get in the low 50s, not sure if that is good or bad.

I hope I do not have a bum chip or some thing wrong with my motherboard.
it would be hard to return them since both work fine at stock.

I am not sure what to do since this is my first time overclocking.
Any help would be great.
I would Like to get to 3.0 since I sort of told my friends I was at the speed.

Thanks

craneop1985

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
What are you doing to get it to 2.8?- are you changing the FSB speed or just changing the multiplier?-You should be able to set the voltage at auto and up the multiplier to 15. That's what I've done before-but it could be that we have different motherboards-does yours have that option in the bios?

n1stunna

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Ya I am just changing the multiplier.
I have tried the Voltage at Auto and manually
When I got stuck at 2.8 on auto I started to up the voltage from 1.325 then to 1.350, 1.375 and to 1.400

Make sure the ASUS M/B is correctly setting your RAM timings and voltage if it hasn't set them manually.

Try manually setting Vcore to 1.4250v at the 15x multiplier, if your RAM timings are set right that should give you 3G stable.

It would help if you'd list your exact specs.

n1stunna

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
my specs are

M3a78-t
x2 5000+ BE
Thermaltake Ruby Orb
OCZ ddr2 800mhz 2.1v Epp #1 @ 5 4 4 15 2t ( I manually had to set the timing and voltage.)
Corsair TX 750w
Ati 4870
and as of today a 24" Samsung screen.

Thanks for the help so far.

OK I'm also running OCZ memory and also manually had to set my timings.

Leave the CPU Freq at 200
CPU Multi at 15
HT Speed 1,000 or 5X [which is 5 x 200 = 1,000]
HT Width 16 16
PCIE Clock 100
Vcore 1.4250v
DDR2 Voltage 2.100v

You may need to experiment with your Vcore settings for stability, I like to run the lowest setting I can and it still stay rock solid, all hardware is different you just need to find your sweet spot, and you'll be good to go.

You should be able to run at 3G on air rock solid.

For a quick test you can run 3D Mark 03, if it will complete and give you a score, you're in the ballpark.

24" Samsung NICE!!!

n1stunna

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008

Thanks
I put the Voltage to 1.425 seems to be working. I never thought to try 1.425
not knowing the limits might have blocked the idea of going over 1.4 from my head.

I was able to finish the 3dmark 03 test.
I will run a 24 hour test later this week.

Thanks for helping.
Its good to learn something new

jmartire24

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
mine runnen at 35 idel and 55 max load im runnen a thermal take max orb n man this fan is the best i was gitting in the 90c once i shut the sys down for like a day was afrade to start it back up after that

jmartire24

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
i have im thinking about gitting the thermaltake big water 740i sys im trying to find a water block for my xfx 9800 gt n i cant find one

WiZdoM

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Same 5000+BE here on a $39 foxconn A74MX-K, oc'd @ 3.2Ghz and stable as can be.

I don't have the option to increase the multiplier past 13, so I upped the FSB to 246Mhz @ 1.392V. Lowered the HT multiplier to X4 so HT link @1968, 4GB gskill RAM running @940Mhz 5-5-5-15 1.9V. RAM is rated for 4-4-4-12, still working on that.

Nice and cool and (knock on wood), solid as a rock no matter what I throw at it. :)

Love the 5000+BE

ricman

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Hey Wizdom......the 5000BE is multi unlocked, I bet its your motherboard that doesnt allow you to change it.

@ n1stunna........I also have the 5000BE at stock everything except the multi which is at X16......ram is OCZ 2GB @ 4-4-4-15 2T.......sounds like your motherboards are holding u back

WiZdoM

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008

Yes, my mobo is holding me back on the multiplier :)

But, got the RAM to 4-4-4-12 w/bios update :)

flay

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
hey guys, I have an athlon 64 x2 5000+ (its not a black edition though), I wanted to see if i could squeeze alittle more out of it.

I have a
asus m2n-sli deluxe
artic freezer pro 64
ocz 2gb 800mhz platinum ram.

Using a mobo AI overclock utility, it can set my cpu to 2.86ghz, it does this by raising the fsb (i only tried it so see what would happen),and off the top of my head it set the fsb to 220, which thus changed everything else; giving me 2.86ghz, faster ram mhz, and a HT of 1100. should I aim to keep the HT at 1000, not higher, I remember reading that somewhere on these forums?

at stock it runs at 2.6 ghz, but looking at cpu-z, apparently my ram is only running at 373mhz: so ddr2 746mhz?
do i need to manaully set my ram settings? (its at timings of 5-5-5-15 btw).

another thing im confused about, is that cpu-z says the voltage on my cpu is 1.248v, but my Asus AI booster utility says the voltage is 1.43v! thats a huge discrepancy!!!

any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

n1stunna

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008

Good question.

since I first started this thread I have been spending my free time reading about Overclocking.

I could be wrong but this will be a good test for what i have learnt .

You want to try keep your HT above 800 mhz
you can only push your reference clock (FSB) so far before your system becomes unstable. to regain stability you can reduce HT Multiplier by a factor of 1 and try to push your reference clock farther.
you might also have to increase voltage this is where things can start to get dangerous. I personally do not like to play with voltages.

To get the best possible over clock you need to isolate the three main parts and find the sweet spot.
there is a nice overclocking guide you can read. I found it some where on the forums one day.
cant find it anymore. I have a bad relation ship with searchbars... and bars in general
I can email it to you if you want? just message me. its a good read.

as for your Ram speed this is from the divider that your CPU Multiplier generates.
There is a chart that I have seen somewhere illustrating ram speeds in relation to CPU divider/reference clock
you might have to manually set your ram timings. go find the manufactures spec and set them to that if if you need to, you might also have to set ram voltage.

as for your Voltage difference with CPU-z / Asus AI booster
I have a similar issue. another reason I stay away from voltages.

Ok time to go back to fighting with a $20 computer case made up steel, paint and now my blood...

flay

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
thanks for your reply n1stunna!

I have set my ram to 4-4-4-15. It ran at 4-4-4-12 (though i didnt stress it, i just used my comp normally) but i relaxed it back to 15 as thats what the website says it can do.

my voltages still dont match, and i've had a look at my bios, and it was set to auto. so i manaually tried setting it to different voltages, yet ai booster (dnd my bios hardware monitor) still said it was at 1.43v! I've been getting some high temps, which suprised me, as I have an artic freezer cpu fan, and although my case is nothing special it is functional.

I guess I'll jus try incrementally improving my fsb without fiddling with vcore until I know exactly which values are correct. I have read that people attempt 1:1 ram:fsb ratios, is this possible with amd's? mine is currently cpu/7, which seems to be why my ram is not runnning at full speed. I'm not overly worried about that though, as its only a few mhz off and with tighter timings, I doubt I'll notice any real world difference. (Still annoying though!)

as with regards to HT, how exactly does it affect my system? Do I want to keep it at around 1000, what happens if its a little above or below that? does it affect speed of cpu or ram? Would I actually like to get it as high as I can with remaining stable, or should you still aim to keep it at 1000?

thanks again.

flay

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Sorry, I should have written reference clock rather than fsb really shouldn't I, AMD's dont use an fsb!

The HT is also just,
(cpu multiplier) x (reference clock) = HT
right?