Problem with Motherboard

grimwd

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I built my first pc about a week ago, only to find that the mobo (p5k) was defective, and whenever I turned it on I got stuck with no signal input on the monitor (tested the monitor/cable on a diff pc which worked fine).

I RMA'd that motherboard for a refund and purchased a p5e instead, since that problem was apprently common with the p5ks. The p5e i had worked fine for the last several days, but the temps were really high on the cpu so I decided to reseat the heatsink (zerotherm nirvana), and I tried to boot up again only to be greeted by the no signal input sign once again.

Tried booting without ram, and I'm not getting any beeps, so I guess this is the second mobo (of a different brand) that has failed within 1 week?

Are there any other tests I can do, or am I screwed? Everything is turning on (hd/dvd/heatsink fan, gpu fan, case fans).

grimwd

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
If I had a dead cpu, how would I know? And is it likely that just by reseating my cpu, the mobo became defective?

hawkspur

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
IF you are 100 percent sure that the video card is working, try booting with one stick of RAM and see if it fixes it. If it doesn't it is probably a power supply issue.

grimwd

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Tried with 1 stick of RAM - still not working. The PSU seems fine - was powering my system just great until I had to redo everything when I reseated the heatsink.

I was going to suggest checking your PSU. I think you may need to give a little more detail on the hardware specs of your system so everyone can get a better idea on what to suggest.

It sounds like a PSU problem to me. If you can get your hands on another one to switch out and test it would rule it out. If the damage is done to your current mobo then you wont be able to tell until you get another good mobo.