Programs not starting and more

Hey all, I'm having crazy problems with an XP install on my office comp. I can't get certain programs to start, despite uninstall and reinstall. The other user of this computer mentioned this began a while back (he says 6 months), so I don't really know where to go for a system restore, or what I'll lose in the process. Recently, when using Acrobat to scan a document, the printer would run, Acrobat would finish, but not open the doc to do OCR and deskew and all that. I uninstalled the printer drivers and installed basic print drivers and that solved that problem.

Now, I've got more interesting issues. iTunes and Quicktime won't start, nor will GoLive 6 (other user prefers old software) or even the CoffeeCup HTML Editor he installed when GoLive went bad. I checked Event Viewer and it doesn't even show these application starting. It comes up in Task Manager for a blip, then ends. I recently re-installed Sony Vegas and it has an error at startup stating a problem with the Quicktime plug-in. I also couldn't get the Add/Remove Program Manager to populate a list of installed software, so I'm currently using Glary Utilities to do that.

In addition to those, I'm having a problem with the "Browse for Folder" dialog box when saving files. If I type the address in the bar, I can save the files wherever I want. If I scroll down, it locks up.

I have Win 7 installed on a separate partition using a dual-boot method. I used the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to check my RAM, which turned out clean. I do have a RAID 1 setup running off my ICH10R chipset, so it may be something going bad there.

I've tried doing a repair installation of XP with the backup drive unplugged in case anything went wrong. After the repair, Windows wouldn't start up, so I went back to the old installation. I tried with a different version of XP, and that crashed during setup three times, so I gave up on that. These may be errors due to nLite (I have no floppy drive, so I needed it for the RAID drivers), but the original installation was with nLite which worked fine for the most part. I would use the original nLite installation disk, but it was set to automate the installation and I don't know if it would format the drive.

I've done a CHKDSK /f on the OS drives, but they're 1TB so I'm never around when the check finishes. Any other ideas of how to check what the problem may be before I go for a format/reinstall? Thanks for reading.
5 answers Last reply
More about programs starting more
  1. Sounds like you need to re-install Windows. You have way too many issues here to try to fix without doing that. You may have a virus but with so many issues using even the most basic Windows functions (Add/Remove Programs for example), you are way better off re-installing the OS.
  2. Run a malware check. use the following post from aford10:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248626-45-simple-free-guide-removing-malware

After running these tests, try opening the task manager, and look at the processes tab. Then click on the CPU tab TWICE to show you whats using up a majority of your CPU when you open or close a program. If you see something that you dont normally see, you might have some kind of virus/trojan that is blocking whatever your trying to do.
  3. Cool, I hadn't run that in Safe Mode yet, so I started that yesterday before I left. I did a full scan and after 17 hours, it still wasn't done. I may need a weekend to get that finished (or move a lot off the drive). I also forgot to mention a few things:

1. I had TWO hard drives die in 6 months. Both were over 2 years old, but I've never had one die on me before, so I was a little worried about my power. One was internal and the other was a USB external. I've since gotten a UPS with power conditioning hoping that clean power would extend the life of the 'puter.

2. I used to use WinDirStat to get a feel for my hard drive usage. It currently won't finish any scan, and gets hung up at about 5% on any drive I try to scan.

I almost get the feeling that it could be some data corruption, so I'll re-check the MoBo connections.

I also forgot to drop my specs, so here they are:

MoBo: Gigabyte Ep45-UD3R
    CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9550
    RAM: 4GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline
    HDD: 1TB (x2 in RAID 1) WD Caviar Black (don't have model #s on hand)
    Vid: XFX GeForce 6600

I'll repost with results.
  4. From the number of issues you have, and the fact that nothing is able to read your drives properly, you either should re-install Windows or get a new drive. I'm actually leaning towards a new drive. The more you mess with what you have now, the more chances you have of losing your data.
  5. hang-the-9 said:
    From the number of issues you have, and the fact that nothing is able to read your drives properly, you either should re-install Windows or get a new drive. I'm actually leaning towards a new drive. The more you mess with what you have now, the more chances you have of losing your data.

I would have to side with hang on this one. Getting a new drive will not only allow you to install a fresh copy, but if you make the old drive a "slave" drive, you can still acquire all of your old files without worrying about a reformat deleting all of them.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP