Icon Background settings

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

OK, here’s a silly question. This has to do with the labels showning
underneath the icons on my desktop. Right now, there is a little box
surrounding these labels with a colored background.

The last time I was in my desktop, these backgrounds were not visible. In
other words, the label background didn’t appear and it looked as if the icon
labels were sitting directly on my desktop background.

I think a setting got changed somehow and I’m wondering how to get it set
back. I’d like to make the label backgrounds invisible again. I've looked
all through the Properties window but can't seem to find anything that works.

Thanks for the help.
I’m using Windows XP Professional 5.1 w/ SP2.

WD

Malke

******* wrote:

> OK, here's a silly question. This has to do with the labels showning
> underneath the icons on my desktop. Right now, there is a little box
> surrounding these labels with a colored background.
>
> The last time I was in my desktop, these backgrounds were not visible.
> In other words, the label background didn't appear and it looked as
> if the icon labels were sitting directly on my desktop background.
>
> I think a setting got changed somehow and I'm wondering how to get it
> set
> back. I'd like to make the label backgrounds invisible again. I've
> looked all through the Properties window but can't seem to find
> anything that works.
>
> Thanks for the help.
> I'm using Windows XP Professional 5.1 w/ SP2.
>
> WD

Don't feel bad - this setting is in a completely non-intuitive place.
Open the System applet in Control Panel, choose the Advanced tab, and
click Settings in the Performance section. Turn on the "Use drop
shadows for icon labels on the desktop option", and click Ok.

Four things are required for transparent icon backgrounds:

1) System Properties>Advanced>Performance Settings>VisualEffects - check
"use drop shadows for icon labels".

2) Right-click on Desktop ->Arrange Icons by>Lock Web items must be
cleared.

3) If you have any web content on your desktop, transparency won't work.
To check for web content: Display Properties>Desktop>Customize
Desktop>Web - make sure all checkboxes are clear.

4) Wallpaper must be an image file, not html.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

I am having the same problem too!

"*******" wrote:

> OK, here’s a silly question. This has to do with the labels showning
> underneath the icons on my desktop. Right now, there is a little box
> surrounding these labels with a colored background.
>
> The last time I was in my desktop, these backgrounds were not visible. In
> other words, the label background didn’t appear and it looked as if the icon
> labels were sitting directly on my desktop background.
>
> I think a setting got changed somehow and I’m wondering how to get it set
> back. I’d like to make the label backgrounds invisible again. I've looked
> all through the Properties window but can't seem to find anything that works.
>
> Thanks for the help.
> I’m using Windows XP Professional 5.1 w/ SP2.
>
> WD

Malke

bobogoat5 wrote:

> I am having the same problem too!
>
> "*******" wrote:

Then read the answer I gave the Original Poster.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Thanks for the help. Your item #3 was the culprit; now that it's gone, I'm
OK. You're right about the non-intuitiveness. What a convoluted setting!!

Thanks again.