q9450 temp readings not working on 780i

satanpro

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
Update: problem solved, I returned the processor and the new one's temperature sensors work perfectly. Apparently some of the q9450s have stuck temperature sensors.

Hello,

I just bought a q9450 oem to replace my q6600. I'm using the evga 780i and vista x64. When I put it in and loaded up coretemp to see what it was running at, I found the temp readings are stuck at 53/53/45/40 and never move from that, no matter what the load.
cpuid hardware monitor shows the same exact values and never moves (but reads cputin at 25c which moves a little under load).
Nvidia hardware monitor shows the same numbers.
Speedfan shows nothing for the four cores, but shows "CPU" at 26c and moving, similar to cpuid.
In the bios, the "CPU" reading is on par with the cpu or cputin readings in speedfan and cpuid, and it moves.

What in the world is going on? The temp ratings on the q6600 worked perfectly, except that speedfan was 15c low as has been reported.

Is there any way I can get around this problem? Everything else works perfectly, and my bios is the latest version. Today I went so far as to reinstall the os to see if it was some driver issue that driver cleaner couldn't solve, but the same thing happens after reinstall.

I'd appreciate any advice!

satanpro

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
yeah I did. I had the overclock settings for my q6600 and I didnt want to set them all back to auto with the chance of missing one, so I just cleared cmos before I removed the q6600.

Any other ideas? I've tried realtemp in the meantime and it has the same problem.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
It might be outdated bios not supporting Yorkfield fully. Flashing bios carry some risk, so search your bios version and see if others have the same problem.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Ah, didn't read carefully. :p

Usually, temp sensor problem is either bios or motherboard defect. Newer bios can have problems too. not sure about evga 780i, but Asus and Abit released a chain of bad bios for their x38 boards, that give Yorkfield support, but causes all kinds of problems, including temp reading error. It's still a good idea to google your bios and see what others say about it. If it's the new one that has the problem, consider downgrading. Cpu defect is also possible, although I'm not sure how likely something like that is.

satanpro

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
Update: problem solved, I returned the processor and the new one's temperature sensors work perfectly. Apparently some of the q9450s have stuck temperature sensors.

Thanks to all that posted help!