Split NAS for work backups and personal stuff

G

Hi,

I want to purchase a NAS for backing up files offsite from my office. I also want to use the NAS to store my personal collection of movies, music and photos. Is there any way I can buy a 4 bay NAS and use 2 hard drives for backups and 2 for my personal things? i know that NASes can be partitioned but then that will mean that i will lose vital space.

Looking forward to your response.

SF

yobigd20

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
I use an Infrant ReadyNAS X6 which is now owned by Netgear I think. Its a 4 bay NAS in a raid 5 x-raid configuration. I have 4 1TB drives in it so 3TB usable. I have it setup with 2 shares, one for work and one for personal. With their latest radiator o.s. software, it does not work as a traditional 'partition' does per say, meaning that I did not have to configure say 1.5TB for work and 1.5TB for personal. Instead, all I setup is 2 shares and it automatically takes care of the rest meaning that either share is not limited to a specific size, only that both combined can't be more than 3TB. Does that work as you need it or is there some reason you are looking for 2 HDs for personal and 2 HDs for work? If thats the case then why don't you just buy 2 separate 2-bay NAS's?