pris0nerr

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Hey,

1- My monitor resolution is 1440x900.. since i'm going to buy a new pc, i was wondering that will i notice difference in performance using my monitor between 8800GTS G92 512MB & 8800GT? (since 8800gts is more expensive and better..)
if not, which brand of 8800GT is the best? (eVGA/...)

2- I decided that i'm going to buy E8400 since i'm going to use it mainly in gaming, but someone told me that it's not sure that i will reach 4.00 GHz with overclocking, is that true? why?
which fan should i use so i can OC the cpu without problems?

thx

I suspect that the 8800GT will give you 60fps or more at 1440x900 in most games, especially if you're willing to lower some settings. After 60fps, the monitor won't be able to display more frames (I'm assuming 60Hz refresh rate, like most LCD monitors). The GTS won't bring you any advantage there. It will be better than most GT versions as far as noise and keeping heat out of the case, but you won't notice a speed difference IMO.

About the E8400 - it might have been me who told you about that. :) Look, you've got a very good chance to reach 4GHz with it, it's just not 100% sure. Of all CPUs out there now, the E8400 is probably giving you the best chance to reach 4GHz. It is guaranteed to work at 3Ghz and tested at that, and whatever more it can do is a bonus and varies from chip to chip. Why that happens ... no idea. Chips with hundreds of millions of transistors are rather complex, and it's hard to make them all behave exactly the same.

The best CPU cooler I've seen in reviews so far is the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. It works best with a fan like SilenX or Scythe.

Edit: I like MSI's 8800GT, they put a nice cooler on it. Normally I'd prefer eVGA or XFX or BFG, but for this particular card MSI did the right thing. Look at this image, see how this card takes two slots and lets the heat get right out instead of being spread inside the case.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...SI+GeForce+8800GT+NX8800GT+512M+OC+Video+Card

I agree with both of these statements. eVGA and XFX are the 2 nvidia brands I stick with because of warranty and stability reasons. The MSI does have a superior cooler to the OEM GT cooler for a GREAT price. You won't see much of a difference in stock performance between the GT and GTS. The GTS just has a better cooler and more Stream Processors and is stock clocked higher. The stock 8800gt tend to heat up pretty well.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Biggest diffrence between the 8800gt, and the 8800gts is the cooling solution, if you dont mind a little more heat in your case get the gt. When playing bf2142 they both perform about the same also, i have a gts, and many clanmates have gt's we are always comparing, the biggest thing we notice, is when artillery is coming in i dip to about 88 fps while they see as low as 50 sometimes.

BF2142 isn't a great bench for these 2 cards. Get some World In Conflict action going on and see those puppies HEAT up. COD4 with Heat them up to. My temps in bf2142 on my card are like 56-58C in WIC and COD4 they hit 64 at times.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Lol, no its not the greatest test, just a frequently played game, and since the way they did the graphics is overbloated, shows the card can handle some quirky programming. Personally if prefer bf2, much better game then 2142, and i have alot more sneaky ways of killin folks too.

I never played BF2 so I can't compare. I liked 2142 but once I stopped playing it I never really picked it up again. I think I was at 29,000 points or something. I'm really loving COD4 though. I like the ranking and challenges, sorta like the BF type but the first person is so awesome.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Thats what i hear from my clan mates also, im interested in getting it as soon as i can afford it, Frontlines looks pretty sweet too, i like the idea i can take a rc helocopted, fly around and launch some missles, then use the whole thing to blow some people up when im done, that just sounds soooooo fun, lol.