Help plz...

sycore

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
First, I do not know where to put this thread so if I am at the wrong place don't kill me. :)

To jump quickly to my problem... Well I guess you can figuer it out by the picture.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1889/01sv2.jpg

As you can see, my GPU is having a barbeque party without my permission.
This happens as soon as I start a game. :(
The next pic is of my chassi. And before you tell me to close it up and take away the big fan.
It wont work, the GPU goes higher if I'll close the chassi.

All the fans in the CPU are working fine. No dust and no dirt in em.
I got two back fans and one front fan to get a good spate.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/6284/02kg1.jpg

Is there anyone who can tell me what to do? Apart from buying a new cpu :).

Oh, btw the gpu card is a "NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU" PoV

grunchlk

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
The 6800GT shouldn't get that hot.
And the wind blower will do a perfect job in cooling your system :).

The reported ambient temperature is also very high.
Are you sure the fan on the >G<pu is working correctly?

You could also try checking the temps with a free program like SpeedFan.
I don't know if or why SpeedFan could/would report a different temperature but maybe it is just a software problem.

Oh, and you didn't do any overclocking?

regards,
Grunchlk

sycore

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Nop, no overclocking to my knowledge.
I'll check the software programs and see if there is a problem with em.

grunchlk

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
The fire icon isn't always a problem, it just means that the temp is more than defined warning temperature.

Your system is not good for massive overclocking but the temps for cpu and system are just fine. Same for HD0 and PWM2 I guess, not much more than on my system.

Don't know what local and remote is, never seen those before.
And no gfx reading. That's sad but not all gfx cards can be monitored with speedfan (or maybe they can, but I don't know how if it doesn't show up on default).
Temps1 to 3 aren't used on your mobo, just ignore them.

It's really hard to tell what's going on.
If the gpu fan is running, there shouldn't be any reason for the temp to go up that much.

Unless this is one of the symptoms of a dying 6800 as badge said.

Sorry, can't think of anything else.

dev1se

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I believe my dad is looking to sell both his 6800's... if your based in UK... one has been flashed to an Ultra but has amazing cooling :)

crusoe74

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Hmmmm...strange.

I had a GF6800GT for over 2 years without no problems. When I eventually took it out when I upgraded half the fan fins were clogged up with dust due to not cleaning them regularly and I still had no artifacts or anything.

It was a noisy ah heck though.

crusoe points out something very important. The 6800 does not run hot compared to modern GPUs, but the stock cooler is not good and clogs easily. Take it apart and clean it. I had 2 6800GT OC'ed to 415 MHz and never had a heat issue with my aftermarket coolers for years.

I know this may sound like a pain, but take it all apart and reapply fresh new thermal paste on the GPU. Sometimes a bump and move the heatsink and mess with the contact. 122....for EVE.....yeah....imagine what ATI tool would do to it..

All your speedfan temps look fine, if the flame bugs you go under config and change the warning temps for each item.