Need Help Overclocking AMD 5000+ BE

fdrspock

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
I built a new computer several months ago and am having trouble keeping the system stable when overclocking. I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions based on my BIOS settings and components. I didn't know a whole lot about best components on the market so I bought a combo processor/mobo. I have a feeling that my mobo (see below) might be a limiting factor in my ability to setup a stable rig but I'm pretty new to overclocking. I installed the AMD Dual-Core Optimization tool as I thought this helped to stabilize my system but it doesn't seem to be having an effect. At this point I haven't stress tested the CPU/RAM since it crashes on it's own pretty often, even when my CPU usage is relatively low.

Also I am running Core Temp and Everest to monitor temps but I'm not really sure what is in range for normal and stress usage. My Core Temp shows 33/29 for the two cores and Everest (Home Ed.) shows 40 -- although this doesn't seem to vary like Core Temp does. Anyone know which of these is accurate and/or the difference between the two?

Anyone have suggestions for BIOS settings? Thanks in advance...

My Setup:

ASUS M2A-VM Motherboard
AMD 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition
4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR2-800MHz
Vista Home Premium

My BIOS settings:

JumperFree Config
+1.2VNBSB - Auto
DDR2 Voltage Control - Auto
CPU Voltage Control - Auto
CPU Multiplier - 16X
CPU Voltage - 1.525V
CPU Frequency - 200 MHz

CPU Configuration
AMD Virtualization - Enabled
AMD CPU C1E Support - Disabled
AMD Live! - Disabled
AMD Cool'n'Quiet - Disabled

DRAM Options
Timing Mode - Automatic
Memory Clock Frequency - This is grayed out on Auto, if you set Timing Mode to Manual I can set values up to 800MHz

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
hmmmm, interesting. my geuss would be that your motherboard cant handle that high of a Vcore setting. have you tried a lower voltage setting? i have my 5000+ BE @ 1.37V and OCed to 3.18GHZ. you should also consider lowering your multiplier to 14x and setting your FSB to like, 224MHZ. thats whats on mine, but my board is quite limited to OCing:(

btw i have all those CPU drivers, they dont seem to have an effect. i would just uninstal them, theyre kinda a waste of space IMO.
ive tried Core Temp before and it seemed pretty accourate but the temperature monitor i like is called: HW Monitor. it gives you more details and

Well, I think if you leave it on auto for the memory speed it may use an improper memory divider. At default settings the memory divider for the 5000 is 7 , thus giving you a memory speed of about 371 (or 742 effective). If your memory is running past it's rated speed it may not be too stable. What memory speed does your BIOS and CPU-Z report? You may want to set the memory speed to 800MHz in the BIOS. You should also lower your multiplier to 15x and see if it's stable there. If it is, raise your FSB 1MHz at a time and test your system until it becomes unstable, then go back down 3MHz. Your vCore is set rather high on auto so you're probably past the limit for that chip. You can try setting it manually to 1.55 and see if that doesn't do it. I wouldn't run it above 1.5v though personally unless I had money to replace it :D.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Well,

You do not tell us what your OC is, multi, fsb, etc.

More info would help.

My HTPC is running one, I just upped the multi by 2, and left everything else stock to hit 3.1ish.

That voltage is pretty high. your temps should run about 32-35 idle and 40-45 load,I would consider that a safe operating range. too much voltage can actually hurt your overclock. I owuld try to run that chip 1.45V or below. Basically the lowest voltage you can obtain 3.0 ghz with is a good place to start, then fine tune from there.
That board is based on the 690 chipset with onboard video. It is not for overclcocking, and is pretty old as well. That being said, if you can run 3.0 ghz stable hyou are doing a pretty damn good job with that mobo.
Your bios settings look ok to me. You didn't mention what temps your mobo is reporting. My mobo reports the system temp (southbridge) and cpu temp. however it is difficult to tell at times whether the temp being given is cpu ambient temp and core temp. I use speed fan, have for years. I find it pretty reliable and gives alot of othger useful mobo info.

For my quad core I find the AOD overdrive software to be a good monitoring tool as well. Wish it was available for the dual cores.

If you want a better overclcok, look at the 790fx boards. The lanparty from dfi are great for max oc. If you want onboard video, look at the 790gx boards. Both can be had in the 100+ dollar range. Don't expect the world from a 50 dollar board.

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
i have mine at 3.02 ghz with a multi of 15x and a fsb of 200 no changes to voltage or memory clock or voltage. memory timing is 5-5-5-15. my OC is capable of OC'ing up to 280mhz but ihaven't played with the fsb much beacuse i dont want vista to crash again.

fdrspock

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
thanks to everyone for posting, this is some great information. :wahoo: guess my assumption about the sh*t mobo was pretty accurate. i guess thats what you get for buying a combo. buzznut thanks for the info, i may have to look into an upgrade....especially since i bought a decent video card since my build. is it a pretty simple process to just swap a mobo out?

just to clarify a few points made in comments. i have manually set my vcore to 1.525 to try and stabilize my PC. based on what ive read that seems to be a bad idea. the other items that i manually setup are the multiplier (16x) and FSB (200 MHz).

unfortunately my mobo only lets me set my timing as DDR2 400, DDR2 533, DDR2 667, or DDR2 800. im not really sure how that works in terms of setting timings. anyway i have posted the CPU-Z memory info at the bottom.

so it seems that i should start with setting my memory clock frequency to DDR2 800, vcore at say 1.400V (or auto? dont really have a clue where to start with this), multiplier at 14x....leaving my other settings as is. any input on these settings?

alright once that is done, first question is what do i use to test stability? second question is assuming the above settings dont work the first time, what are the first inputs i should start adjusting?

My memory speed on CPU-Z is the following:

DRAM Frequency - 400 MHz
FSB:DRAM - CPU/8
CL - 5.0 clocks
tRCD - 5 clocks
tRP - 5 clocks
tRAS - 18 clocks
tRC - 23 clocks
CR - 2T

fdrspock

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
forgot about FSB too. i know that is a critical piece to getting a good OC, should i leave that at 200 MHz for the time being?

fdrspock

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
ok with the settings i mentioned and leaving FSB @ 200 MHz im sitting at 3 ghz. not too bad still but i need to know how to test this puppy!!! :pt1cable:

fdrspock

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
i started running orthos before i left for work this morning. how long do i need to run orthos or prime95 to effectively test the stability of my system? would an hour or two be sufficient during tweaking and once i think ive got the best OC i can get run an overnight test? also orthos had a CPU/RAM test and then CPU and RAM tests individually. i ran the CPU/RAM test combination, is that the one i should use? what about prime95, what test method should i use in that tool?

THANKS!!!!

fdrspock

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
ok so i think i may have some bigger issues with my attempts at overclocking. i downloaded speedfan as recommended by buzznut and my temps appear to be really high -- even when idle. i still dont really understand what temps are being monitored and why speedfan and coretemp have such different readings, is it because speedfan is reading my core temp and coretemp is reading each processor?

so i went through the exercise and ran stresstests to see where my computer seemed stable. i came up with a 15x multiplier and 205 MHz FSB with 1.450 v-core. I was able to get my CPU speed up to 3070 MHz with this and ran Prime95 for about an hour without any issue. i know i need to run this overnight but im kind of scared with my temps like they are. also im not sure if my temps could be the cause of my system crashing. i have listed the temps under various scenarios below.

i am using a $15 heatsink fan with pre-applied thermal paste (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...4150&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEBLET03ORDER). Could that be the cause of my high temps, if so any recommendations?

so my temps using speedfan:

Idle No BIOS Changes OC Settings (Above)
w/ Prime95 Test w/ Prime95 Test

Temp1: 47C 58C 64C
Temp2: 37C 37C 36C
Temp3: 16C 16C 16C
HD0: 37C 36C 34C
HD1: 29C 30C 29C
Temp1: 40C 40C 40C
Core: 24C 34C 44C

fdrspock

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
my table didnt work, the first numbers listed are Idle temps, the second are w/ default BIOS settings running Prime95 stress test and the third are with my OC settings under Prime95

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
your supposed to look at the core clocks for speedfan i think. i dont know i used the cpu temp monitor that came with my mobo and coretemp.