A8n sli se northbridge replacement

spanner_razor

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Hey guys, my northbridge fan began to die on my asus a8n sli se so I've ordrered a Zalman passive cooler to replace it, It's the Blue one that isn't the flower design, I've taken off the old fan and cleared off all the thermal grease with some tissue paper. The only question is whether or not I should leave the black square insulation bit on top of the northbridge or just place the new heatsink straight on top?
there's bits of circuity on top that are covered by the black tape which is what makes me think I should leave it on, but what sort of glue could i use to reattach it to the heatsink (I had to take it off anyway as there was grease smeared haphazardly over it)

Anyway help appreciated.

masterdoko

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
ZM-NB47J did this work for you?

was your computer freezing without blue screening? thats been happening to me and i'm wondering if its my chipset fan

whats the difference between a northbridge and southbridge?

spanner_razor

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Well I popped it on but I couldn't get it to boot after so I got a new system. It wasn't worth replacing the motherboard really. The system was stable enough, just that the fan was really loud and was annoying me. Seems unlikely that it is the chipset fan, dunno the exact difference between the two really, they control different functions on the motherboard. The northbridge controls memory access and things.