Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Vista no longer genuine after updating RAM.

Last response: in Windows Vista
March 2, 2012 10:09:32 AM

Hello all, I'm quite frustrated...

I have a genuine, validated, legit, activated Vista Ultimate which I got a couple of years ago when I built my gaming machine.

Today, I bought some more RAM and threw it in thinking, no problems. It's like a three minute job right?

Three hours later... I still am unable to make Vista recognise that it is genuine.

It asks for Activation, did that, it thanked me, says it is activated.

Went to website to validate genuine copy and that all went fine, rebooted, and sometimes it says it is not genuine, other reboots it doesn't.

Either way, I am unable to do anything like updates to Windows, even some programs fail to load. Heck, as much as Internet Explorer crashes normally, it feels like Windows is preventing things from loading and thinking that I am not genuine.

After three hours of fart-assing about, and I'm not a total nooB to these things, I ended up pulling the new RAM out and throwing the old stuff back in and everything is sweet again.

Vista is once again, validated, genuine, activated, programs load up fine, updates to Windows will download and so on.

What the hell is Microsoft doing? Updating internal hardware is things we all do... why would they stop us from doing it?

People say I can phone Microsoft... well, I could... but I am in Australia... and on a different time-zone... and besides... why should I have to? I don't get it.

Is there a simple way that I can update my gaming PC to have more RAM without going through this stuff?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Best solution

a b 8 Security
March 2, 2012 11:40:03 AM

Usually only after several hardware changes does this happen.You will have to phone Microsoft to activate.
a b 8 Security
March 2, 2012 11:48:01 AM

Display adapter
SCSI adapter
IDE adapter
Network adapter MAC address
RAM amount range
Processor type and serial number
Hard drive device and volume serial number
Optical drive
Motherboard Info

Changing a few of these could cause an activation fail ^
Score
Related resources
March 9, 2012 5:52:13 AM

How flipping frustrating. It's always the legitimate user who has to suffer this crap. Piraters would not even have this issue.

Sigh.

Guess I have to phone Microsoft.

Thank you for your replies, appreciated.
Score
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2012 4:10:54 PM

Best answer selected by Nikorr.
Score
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2012 4:11:05 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!