Sign in with
Your question

Window32\system\pci sys

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 22, 2010 5:12:54 AM

Hello,
I can't boot my computer. I get system32\drivers\pci.sys file is corrupt or missing. Is there a way to copy this file from another pc into the driver directory without booting through xp?
a b \ Driver
July 23, 2010 1:10:09 AM

Does your machine use a PCIe video card?
Did you just install this XP in your computer?
m
l
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 23, 2010 2:56:41 AM

Hi, I was getting the blue screen error and I took it to the shop.
They were able to save my old C:\ so I didn't lose all my files and they reinstalled Windows XP. Now three weeks later I'm getting this error when trying to boot. I definitely need PC for dummies so I'm not sure about the video card, but this is the information I found. ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 AGP 4X video graphics at 32MB

I put in the xp disc and was able to get to recovery console but then it takes me to the dos prompt of c:\windows> I have no clue what to type next.
m
l
a b \ Driver
July 23, 2010 3:20:40 AM

Quote:
Hi, I was getting the blue screen error and I took it to the shop.
They were able to save my old C:\ so I didn't lose all my files and they reinstalled Windows XP. Now three weeks later I'm getting this error when trying to boot. I definitely need PC for dummies so I'm not sure about the video card, but this is the information I found. ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 AGP 4X video graphics at 32MB

I put in the xp disc and was able to get to recovery console but then it takes me to the dos prompt of c:\windows> I have no clue what to type next.

No, you don't have a PCIe video card. (Good, as far as this error is concerned)

When you booted using the XP CD, you choose to run the Repair Console.

Remove the Windows CD from the CD drive.
Restart computer, poking the F8 key, If it will progress to the point of needing you to choose what you want to do, select:

"Start Windows in Safe Mode" and press the enter key.

If Windows will start in safe mode, it will halt at a point where it wants you to make a choice of continuing to enter safe mode, or to perform a restore point rollback.

Here you will select to perform the system rollback.

A calendar will appear, showing restore points on various dates in Bold type. Choose the one before the last. (The last one may include buggy information, the one before is good, or you wouldn't see the last one)

Windows will restore the machine to that date and re-start. Your problem may be very temporary and Windows will continue to function indefinitely.

If the computer cannot make it to safe mode due to the PCI.sys error,
You can try a Windows repair. See the messages at top of the XP forum, read the one that says [General Discussion] Performing a Repair Reinstall of WinXP & Other Tips. The first author, (4ryan6) explains very well what to do.
m
l
!