Q6700 overclocked from 2.66GHz to 3.07GHz

ASUS P5KC Motherboard

2GB Kingston (2x1GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 - running at full speed

Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Processor Cooler

550W Power Supply (cant remember brand)

Question:

At this overclock (3.07GHz) I get the following temps

idle : 37C - 38C
Under Maximum Stress test : 60C - 70C (it fluctuates)
Playing Crysis : 60C - 65C

Should I be getting better temps with this cooler? It seems a small overclock to me? Do better CPU coolers make a big difference?

I know I'm only supplying limited information but if you need to know any more i'd gladly answer any questions. Thanks for any help!

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
First question. What are you monitoring temps with?
Second. What is your case and fans?
Third. What is your ambient room temps?
What voltage to the CPU and Northbridge chip?

Statement. Use an approved loading program for your CPU and GPU. Orthos for CPU and Furmark for GPU. Realtemp for CPU and ATI tool is fine for the GPU.

Then we'll try to help. And maybe, just maybe mentioning what GPU you have and cooling on it would help too?

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I agree. The CPU looks fine. I wouldn't be surprised if he is running an ATI Radeon 4XXX series card. If so, that is high...but there are some things you can do to lower its temp.

gordonfreeman

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Ok thanks for your comments. My case is standard, it has no fans on the front or side with a big 16cm fan on the back. Lame I know but I havent got any money for a new case, fans or cooler. The only cooling on the board is the arctic cooler over the cpu and the rest is standard. Mega lame. How much of a difference in temp do you think it would make? I have a Radeon HD 4750 grfx card, i heard these run hot.

I'm monitoring temps with HW monitor & speed fan.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Your GPU isn't going to get any cooler unless you add case fans or upgrade the cooler on the card. And it IS running a bit hot, I'd do something to keep the GPU cooler. If you overclocked it, remove the OC.

Yea ya need better flow in the case, having just one 160mm exhaust fan isn't very standard. Most have at least one 120mm on the front and one on the back, and even that's not really enough for new cards and CPU's.

Just leave the side off and blow a house fan in it till you can afford some fans.

When you can afford it, I would highly recommend upgrading your case's cooling.
Leaving the side off of your case is a good way to keep it cooler but be careful around it.
Not only can dust start accumulating in it fairly quickly, it offers opportunities for rodents and pets to get you into trouble.

Until you upgrade you case's cooling, try upping the fan speed on your 4850 with the Fan Speed Fix, it should help keep your GPU temps in line. 40% or higher should give you quite a boost in cooling with out to much additional noise. My experience with the 4850 is that it will start throttling your clock speeds at 105c so you are cutting it pretty close.

if you make a profile in catalyst after turning on Overdrive( make sure clock and memory settings are correct). You can then go to the file "C:\Users\Bretware\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Bretware. XML. the xml file will have the same name as the catalyst profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="65" />

Change the value to "manual" and Want value to "65"

Save the file then reload your profile in catalyst.

65% seemed perfect for me, 70% was loud but you may need it if your case has poor air flow.

You will may have to select the profile everytime you start the computer, but it will work until there is a fix or better info so i can figure how to change the auto target temp.
Good Luck ,bretware

gordonfreeman

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Sweet, thanks for all your input. I'm saving for a new antec case now and have downloaded fan speed fix to help me until then. Cheers Guys!

TRENDING THREADS