Palm/wireless question

June 10, 2004 8:07:25 AM

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't seem to discern this issue
from reading various sources:

If you have "Bluetooth," can you connect to an 802.11g router?

I am looking to upgrade from a Visor, and I'm torn between buying a Tungsten
E, or waiting for the anticipated E2, which may have wireless built-in. The
main complaint against the E is that you can't use a cradle, but I think I
can live with that shortcoming, especially if I could buy an SD card that
could connect with my WiFi router. I can find Bluetooth palm SD cards, but
I haven't found any 802.11/WiFi cards for a palm

If you can't connect a bluetooth device to an 802.11 access point, how do
you connect Bluetooth to the Internet?

(Also, if anyone knows of some good tutorials or explanations, show me
where!)

Thanks in advance!

Mark

More about : palm wireless question

June 10, 2004 10:11:51 AM

In article <18Rxc.5489$bz1.4220@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com>, Mark
Rathgeber <alvamark@swbell.net> writes
>Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't seem to discern this issue
>from reading various sources:
>
>If you have "Bluetooth," can you connect to an 802.11g router?

No.

--
Ian G8ILZ
Anonymous

"Mark Rathgeber" <alvamark@swbell.net> wrote in message
> Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't seem to discern this issue
> from reading various sources:
>
> If you have "Bluetooth," can you connect to an 802.11g router?

no, Bluetooth is a different protocol to wi-fi

> I am looking to upgrade from a Visor, and I'm torn between buying a
Tungsten
> E, or waiting for the anticipated E2, which may have wireless built-in.
The
> main complaint against the E is that you can't use a cradle, but I think I
> can live with that shortcoming, especially if I could buy an SD card that
> could connect with my WiFi router. I can find Bluetooth palm SD cards,
but
> I haven't found any 802.11/WiFi cards for a palm
>
> If you can't connect a bluetooth device to an 802.11 access point, how do
> you connect Bluetooth to the Internet?

via a bluetooth adaptor in the PC or via a mobile (cell) phone

> (Also, if anyone knows of some good tutorials or explanations, show me
> where!)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Mark

June 10, 2004 3:51:55 PM

In article news:<18Rxc.5489$bz1.4220@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com>,
Mark Rathgeber wrote:
> If you have "Bluetooth," can you connect to an 802.11g router?

Not directly. You'd need a Bluetooth Access Point to connect to the
router (and most of those seem to use wired rather than wireless
connection on the WAN side).

They're not cheap, though.

> I can find Bluetooth palm SD cards, but
> I haven't found any 802.11/WiFi cards for a palm

There are some WiFI SD cards but they're pretty new and I don't
know whether any support PalmOS yet. There's some info on such
devices here: http://www.sandisk.com/retail/c-wifi-sd.asp and here
http://www.socketcom.com/product/WL6200-480.asp

Again, not terribly cheap.

Cheers,
Daniel.
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 7:00:05 PM

[I wrote]
> There are some WiFI SD cards but they're pretty new and I don't
> know whether any support PalmOS yet.

... and I've since stumbled across this:
http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6264

Cheers,
Daniel.
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 8:46:32 PM

Mark Rathgeber wrote:
> If you have "Bluetooth," can you connect to an 802.11g router?

Not without another machine to bridge between the two. 802.11g is
(roughly) like wireless Ethernet. Bluetooth is (roughly) like wireless
USB. Not the same.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The bright critics assembled in this volume will doubtless show, in

In <18Rxc.5489$bz1.4220@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com>, "Mark Rathgeber" <alvamark@swbell.net> writes:
>Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't seem to discern this issue
>from reading various sources:
>
>If you have "Bluetooth," can you connect to an 802.11g router?
>
>I am looking to upgrade from a Visor, and I'm torn between buying a Tungsten
>E, or waiting for the anticipated E2, which may have wireless built-in. The
>main complaint against the E is that you can't use a cradle, but I think I
>can live with that shortcoming, especially if I could buy an SD card that
>could connect with my WiFi router. I can find Bluetooth palm SD cards, but
>I haven't found any 802.11/WiFi cards for a palm
>
>If you can't connect a bluetooth device to an 802.11 access point, how do
>you connect Bluetooth to the Internet?
>
>(Also, if anyone knows of some good tutorials or explanations, show me
>where!)
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Mark

Consider a Tungsten C for WiFi and dump Graffiti too!

--
Best Regards,

David
C.M. Consultants,Inc
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 2:27:13 AM

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 04:07:25 GMT, "Mark Rathgeber" <alvamark@swbell.net>
wrote:

>Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't seem to discern this issue
>from reading various sources:
>
>If you have "Bluetooth," can you connect to an 802.11g router?

You must add an 802.11b adapter and configure the 802.11g access point to
allow 802.11b traffic . Enfora makes one for Palms with the Universal
Connector (e.g., T1, T2, T3, TW), but I don't know if there's one for the
"E" (which uses mini-USB).

>I am looking to upgrade from a Visor, and I'm torn between buying a Tungsten
>E, or waiting for the anticipated E2, which may have wireless built-in. The
>main complaint against the E is that you can't use a cradle, but I think I
>can live with that shortcoming, especially if I could buy an SD card that
>could connect with my WiFi router. I can find Bluetooth palm SD cards, but
>I haven't found any 802.11/WiFi cards for a palm

Drivers for PalmOS and SDIO cards have been a bone of contention, with the
card OEM pointing fingers at PalmOne/PalmSource and vice versa. Don't hold
your breath.

>If you can't connect a bluetooth device to an 802.11 access point, how do
>you connect Bluetooth to the Internet?

Bluetooth would require a Bluetooth hub or router on your network, or a
Bluetooth USB adapter plus routing software so you can connect through the
PC.

Wi-Fi AKA 802.11b requires a Wi-Fi hub or router on your network or a Wi-Fi
USB adapter plus routing software so you can connect through the PC.

BT is not really designed to bridge you to the Internet. It can be done,
but you will have a sub-megabit connection, unlike the much faster Wi-Fi
connection.

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

"Mark Rathgeber" <alvamark@swbell.net> wrote in

> Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't seem to discern this
> issue from reading various sources:
>
> If you have "Bluetooth," can you connect to an 802.11g router?
>
> I am looking to upgrade from a Visor, and I'm torn between buying a
> Tungsten E, or waiting for the anticipated E2, which may have wireless
> built-in. The main complaint against the E is that you can't use a
> cradle, but I think I can live with that shortcoming, especially if I
> could buy an SD card that could connect with my WiFi router. I can
> find Bluetooth palm SD cards, but I haven't found any 802.11/WiFi
> cards for a palm
>
> If you can't connect a bluetooth device to an 802.11 access point, how
> do you connect Bluetooth to the Internet?
>
> (Also, if anyone knows of some good tutorials or explanations, show me
> where!)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Mark

Mark,

as others have said, Bluetooth is a different kind of networking protocol
from WiFi, so you can't mix the two (without getting into bridging stuff).

There's no problem about getting on the internet with your Tungsten though.
I use a Bluetooth USB dongle on my PC (they start off at about £10UKP and
go up to £50 or so) to provide a network for my Tungsten T3. My PC is
connected to my ADSL router with a normal network card so I've enabled
internet connection sharing on that, then the Bluetooth dongle creates a
new network interface that uses that for it's internet connectivity. Then
you just create a new connection and network on the Tungsten, which is
fairly obvious stuff. I followed the example at http://whizoo.com/bt_setup/
'Bluetooth Adapter Setup for the Palm Tungsten /T series' and it's great.
The only problem is that it's *just* out of range from my couch (the PC is
upstairs) - it's fine if I stand by
the living room door, but the 3 feet to the couch pushes it over the edge
:-) I'll try a longer USB cable on the dongle though.

HTH

Ben
!