Onboard soundcard output not working

skeen

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Hi there. I while ago my microfone stopped working. I though ofcourse it was just my headset which had broken. But after testing new mics that I new worked, didn't work on my computer either, my conclusion was, that it was my onboard soundcard the problem lay.

Although I had never had any experience with an onboard soundcard where it was only the output function which stopped working.(My input sound workes fine). So before buying a new soundcard, I though I would ask your opinion on this subject.

Is it my motherboard the problem lies?

I have tried to update drivers, and fomat my PC - but nothing worked.

Probably. One more possibility is your computer case wiring if you are plugged into front panel audio connectors.

Same thing happened to my wife's computer about three years ago. The system was working fine. Suddenly no sound. Checked the BIOS. Onboard sound was enabled. Checked the Control Panel. WinXP saw the sound chip and no driver problems. Unloaded and reloaded the drivers anyway.

Still no sound. Unloaded drivers, turned off onboard sound chip, and put in a $30 sound card.

Do what dragonsprayer suggests. It will not take long or cost any money. And it may fix your problem. If not, put in an inexpensive sound card.

I have the oddist, kinda similar, issue with my mic. that may be able to help you.
Sometimes when switching between Skype and any game that uses my mic. the input volume will be turned down to nothing through the control pannel.
So, just incase you missed it, check and make sure the mic. is turned up.

^ Also agree with dragonsprayer