NTSF format gone, how to recover the data?

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
That's it, i have this computer with a 250gb hdd that will crash always when it boots because the NTSF partition is gone, this problem is usualy solved by inserting the winxp cd, choosing the repairing key and then doing the well known commands "chkdsk" or "fixboot" but this wont help this time, since the winxp cd wont even give me the repairing option and want's to install like if the harddrive was completly empty.

So...What could i do? What data recovery software would you recommend?

The ideal stuff would be to re-write the ntsf format so that i would retrieve the data from the original pc, since lots of data is stored in the mydocuments folder which is User _password protected!

Please have your saying on this! Thank you in advance!

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
You might try NTFS reader@ for dos,needs to be installed on a floppy/cd/dvd,plus you may need another hdd/partition to copy files to,you might check out WWW.MAJORGEEKS.COM ,,they might have some freeware that may do the job and also WWW.Freebyte.com ...:)

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Thank you, im going to try those out later and hope they will work! This is a stupid problem and i already came across with it many times, but this is the first time the winxp repair option doesn't appear at all!

G

Nex time you partition your drive: small partition for windows and programs (30-50 GB), and MOVE My Documents on another partition. If windows fail, there's no need to format another partition that contains your data, documents.
My Documents > Right click > Location > Move.
By the way, the safest media to keep your important data is hard disk lying on the shelf or in drawer (not in computer, working all the time).
I learned it a hard way. DVD's get unreadable too often, CD's are of too small capacity.
That's why I have a quick swappable HDD drawer enclosure in all my rigs and they all have ON/OFF button or small key to turn a hard disk on or off.